Nick Cave

Midnight Man

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm avoiding all reviews and all setlists. I was terrified opening this thread thinking someone was going to post the setlist from last night!

Thank god cave fans are more refined than those radiohead types....

Yeah I looked at some earlier in the tour, but I want to go in blind now I reckon. 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I too was very sceptical about an arena sized tour as thought it would take something away from the experience but I have a feeling they will absolutely nail it. And then surely it's time for them to headline the big G. They've subbed three times and plenty of O2 sized acts have headlined.

Fuck that'd be amazing. Hope he headlines Other instead of subbing Pyramid next time.

52 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I looked at some earlier in the tour, but I want to go in blind now I reckon. 

I’d been checking setlists but I was still surprised at the Babe I’m On Fire extended curfew-smashing finale! :P

But aye I was a bit downhearted when it was announced that I’d be first seeing them in a soulless cavern but it was one of the most intimate gigs I’ve been to. Would absolutely recommend less time at the bar before and waiting down the front as that’s where Nick is all night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I’d been checking setlists but I was still surprised at the Babe I’m On Fire extended curfew-smashing finale! :P

But aye I was a bit downhearted when it was announced that I’d be first seeing them in a soulless cavern but it was one of the most intimate gigs I’ve been to. Would absolutely recommend less time at the bar before and waiting down the front as that’s where Nick is all night.

Haha yeah right :P

Problem is at my age I can't stand at the front all night as I'll need to leave for a wee at some point... long gone are those days of queueing for the barrier for me. But still will get try to get a decent spot. Wasn't sure if he'd still be doing that intimate front-row style of performance for this tour, but good to hear that's still a thing. 

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Fuck that'd be amazing. Hope he headlines Other instead of subbing Pyramid next time.

God, no. Other would be an insult. Pyramid headline for sure. 

I've been looking forward to tomorrow's gig for a while but it wasn't until the last few days that I properly delved into their back catalogue. When I bought my ticket I knew the two most recent albums really well and the big songs from others but hadn't got round to giving them all a proper listen, now that I have I think I'm actually looking forward to the gig less because I know how many great songs they have that won't be played :lol: 

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haha yeah right :P

Problem is at my age I can't stand at the front all night as I'll need to leave for a wee at some point... long gone are those days of queueing for the barrier for me. But still will get try to get a decent spot. Wasn't sure if he'd still be doing that intimate front-row style of performance for this tour, but good to hear that's still a thing. 

God, no. Other would be an insult. Pyramid headline for sure. 

The o2 is pretty good for going for a wee though, they have those big channels up the side so it might be easier to cut back in. Might be...

Fantastic evening last night, slightly spoiled by getting overwhelmed in the close heat and fainting at the front in a cracking spot even before the band came on. 10 minutes, a coke and bag of chocolate and I was at the back again in time for the start. However, the set list was cracking. There were video screens used for the band and Nick as well as some background for some songs. More people were invited up in Stagger Lee, and Nick seemed touched by a young boy and had him on stage twice. More stage diving/walking in the seats to the side as well this time. Edit - @Zoo Music Girl, it was full on front row engagement and a brief tour of one side.

There was an awkward moment where Nick had an extended monologue to a bloke to not shout about his purple socks as it was disruptive but he seemed to chill and gave him one sock at the end.

There was humour in the band starting one song in the middle of the set and Nick came on and restarted it, laughing with 'well, we tried it'

Big arena, big atmosphere. Nick was saying how special it was being in the city, what is it about Manchester then for them? It's certainly not the bloody road works getting back on the M62.

Touch of romance, I bought a t towel for MrsCJ.

Edited by carlosj

3 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Fantastic evening last night, slightly spoiled by getting overwhelmed in the close heat and fainting at the front in a cracking spot even before the band came on. 10 minutes, a coke and bag of chocolate and I was at the back again in time for the start. However, the set list was cracking. There were video screens used for the band and Nick as well as some background for some songs. More people were invited up in Stagger Lee, and Nick seemed touched by a young boy and had him on stage twice. More stage diving/walking in the seats to the side as well this time. Edit - @Zoo Music Girl, it was full on front row engagement and a brief tour of one side.

There was an awkward moment where Nick had an extended monologue to a bloke to not shout about his purple socks as it was disruptive but he seemed to chill and gave him one sock at the end.

There was humour in the band starting one song in the middle of the set and Nick came on and restarted it, laughing with 'well, we tried it'

Big arena, big atmosphere. Nick was saying how special it was being in the city, what is it about Manchester then for them? It's certainly not the bloody road works getting back on the M62.

Touch of romance, I bought a t towel for MrsCJ.

Glad you enjoyed carlosj - great review! And your fainting story is exactly why I don't bother trying to queue at the front of gigs any more... well, that and the aforementioned wee situation.

37 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Nick seemed touched by a young boy and had him on stage twice.

How cool was that kid? Knew all the words and everything, didn't seem fazed by anything, there was an amazing shot of him stood next to Nick singing the Old Rock n Roll line from Push the Sky Away,  absolute dude.

13 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Thanks for this. Wife can't finish work until after 6 and it's an hours drive to the Nottingham venue. Should hopefully catch most of the set.

think he's actually ended up playing at half 8 the last couple of shows due to heavy security queues. Assuming they're releasing 8pm as a best case scenario time, when I was queuing for my box office tickets the woman behind the counter had 8.30-10.45 as official times (which turned out to be correct).

3 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Thanks for this. Wife can't finish work until after 6 and it's an hours drive to the Nottingham venue. Should hopefully catch most of the set.

He didn't begin till at least half 8 at Manchester and loads of people didn't arrive till after half 7. You should be fine.