Nick Cave

Midnight Man

22 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Oh yes. Plus we got tickets a few weeks before - it's not like it sold out months in advance. Just got my fingers crossed that they show it in Italy (and Mrs scruff fancies spending an evening in a dark cinema instead of at the beach or a nice restaurant or walking round a lake or something. In fact, not any evening - it'd be our last evening (not getting my hopes up)). 

Wow, that really is planning elaborate foreplay.

I'm planning on Hyde Park, Leeds. Not with Mrs Scruff, mind. Probably not even MrsCJ. Just me with a bottle of beer.

As a Picturehouse member I got an email this afternoon telling me about this. Decided to go, so logged in to book a few hours later, and there were only a handful of seats left so I nabbed a couple.

Really looking forward to it, the Duke of Yorks Picturehouse is a lovely 100 year old cinema just 10 mins walk from my house here in Brighton, and I'm trying not to get too hopeful that maybe, just maybe, as he lives here in Brighton (and I must be the only person I know who has never spotted him wandering about town) he might turn up to watch it on the big screen? Pleeeeese Nick!!!! 

Bought tickets for the Barbican this morning :) Really excited for this!

I'd quite like to not hear any of the songs before I go to the film/receive the album, although I know that's wholly unrealistic. 

In other news and because I can't be arsed to venture into that thread - the new Radiohead album is a bit of alright innit? 

On 02/06/2016 at 4:55 PM, russycarps said:

I'm going to wait. My local, Greenwich, is giving the members only message. I can't imagine any of the showings will sell out to be honest.

We bought our tickets, two, out of 200 on sale there were 198 remaining, so no great rush!

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

We don't need them polluting yet another thread thank you very much. Especially this thing of beauty!!

The film is officially the first place you'll be able to hear the songs so depends how much he chooses to enforce that I suppose. Bowie managed it with where are we now?

True but presumably there will be a single release, which will get played on the radio? I'd say it would be hard to avoid, although I'm not one who goes digging around for stuff early. 

19 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Reckon there's a very strong chance of at least London  and Manchester dates. 

I hope so. I missed out on the last Manchester show because I was on holiday, which was a right bugger. Still never seen him live, and with me now having tickets for Shakey and Paul Simon, he's one of the last few must-sees for me. My BST plans are still up in the air, but if I end up seeing Kendrick there, then Nick Cave, David Byrne and Beyonce are pretty much the only ones left.

30 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Would it make you feel any better if I told you I went to that Manchester gig solo and it was fucking ace. Possibly better than his glastonbury show. His solo gig in Glasgow was amazing too. 

...Nope, no better. Reckon I'd travel to Leeds or Liverpool, or somewhere within driving distance if he didn't do Manchester. But IIRC the Nick solo gigs were all in weird places where I couldn't feasibly travel, and thatLondon, where I don't go to.

1 hour ago, 5co77ie said:

i read something yesterday suggesting that Nick's loss was the subject of the whole album

Ah, I was going by this post from the previous page...

On 02/06/2016 at 2:29 PM, When Jokers Attack said:

Looks like the album was recorded before the death of his son.

Skeleton Tree began its journey in late 2014 at Retreat Studios, Brighton, with further sessions at La Frette Studios, France in autumn 2015. The album was mixed  at AIR Studios, London in early 2016.

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Ah, I was going by this post from the previous page...

this is what I read:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14540098.Musician___s_first_album_since_death_of_his_son/

" Recording of the album began at Retreat Recording Studios in Ovingdean at the end of 2014 with further sessions recorded at a studio on the outskirts of Paris last autumn in the wake of Arthur’s death. "

Edited by 5co77ie

On 04/06/2016 at 10:34 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

True but presumably there will be a single release, which will get played on the radio? I'd say it would be hard to avoid, although I'm not one who goes digging around for stuff early. 

Nope. There will be no single release. The first airing of the songs is in the film. It says that in the press releases. :-) 

On 02/06/2016 at 4:40 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yep, just about... I'll feel a bit happier about coming here once Glastonbury is out of the way, though! I've done a sterling job of keeping away from this place, which has helped a lot with the whole not-going thing, but I must admit I sneaked a peak at the stage splits just now :(

Anyway CAVE. Gigs this autumn?

Hang on, that'll soon be over and then there may be a gig. Having said that, it would be pretty raw if he's singing an album inspired by his son's death.

• 1 month later...