Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a crate of lager as the base for my sack truck and then pile everything else on top of it. I've got friends going who have really dodgy backs and they simply wouldn't be able to carry even one crate that far. Very strange policy if it does apply to all. That said I haven't had the email yet so I'm going to pretend I haven't seen this until I do get it!

The only problem is that the security guards on the gates are a mixed bag. Some are cool and some are complete jumped-up arseholes.

If some of them do try and enforce it at the gate, it will create a lot of problems, not to mention a bad atmosphere.

I understand them trying to stop people getting it in to sell but giving people notice means they will work around it by planning more trips.

So in summary, a completely pointless and idiotic idea.

A lot of outrage over nothing here. I doubt this will be any different in practice than in previous years.

It should be fairly obvious that this is intended to stop the people taking the piss. The Festival has had a "personal use only" policy for a long time now, this is clearly just an attempt to qualify that.

If someone turns up with half the contents of their local oddbins, then they've got something to point to and say "you were warned". If people aren't taking the piss then, as in most situations with GFL, the likelihood is that they'll use sensible discretion.

Besides which, if you really are that paranoid and think that they're going to confiscate all your alcohol, just use a sledge and claim it as a loophole. Personally I'd say that they're easier to manage than wheels anyway.

I can see exactly why this has been issued. I work in risk management and one of the mantras is "if it's not in writing it didn't happen". GFL need to show - in writing - that they are enforcing their policy regards reasonable consumption of alcohol on site and preventing the illegal sale of alcohol. If something then does happen (an arrest for drunk & disorderly or an alcohol related accident for instance) then the organisers can point to this as part of their attempts to discharge their duty of care to the attendees and enforce policy and hence defend their position.

If I was advising the organisers I would have told them to do exactly this, but I would have worded it better. ;)

I'm amused at the amount of people still saying they don't believe this email is real. Of course it's real. And for people saying it'll be chaos to enforce, not really... all they have to do is say "go back to the car with it or dump it there" - not hard to enforce at all.

As to whether it's right or not... I can understand them wanting to stop people selling it on site, but if you've got a smallish amount but it happens to be on wheels, stopping you bringing it in seems ridiculously draconian.

I've had the email too.

Bet most won't read it though, so will be interesting to see how it is enforced. We usually carry it over in multiple trips anyway, so it doesn't really make any odds to us.

Think the security you get will make a big difference. First Glastonbury we went to, turned up on the Weds night at 12:45am neither of us had been before so didn't know anything or anywhere to go and still had trek to go. Security guards made us empty our complete backpacks to search for 35mins, he also undid the whole tent and everything from the bag and even when we said, we only just fit it in can you try to keep it in the bag he insisted on taking it all out dumping it and saying tough luck, fit it back yourself.

He also didn't seal up my mates sidepocket properly and mates digital camera fell out at some point. My mate should have checked his bag better, but we had worked a full day and drove 5 hours to get there, then had this hassle at the time and were being told just head about 40mins walk across site, you'll probably find somewhere there so were wondering if we had made a huge mistake.

Luckily that first experience was the only bad experience we had with security though in all the Glastonbury's we have been too.

What about campervans ?!?!?

I am taking my 3x mates stash (who are staying in a tent next to the c/v) as well as mine and the 2 lads I am sharing with.

All in all we will have around 240 cans on boards.

Am I gonna get hassled ?!?!?

Bollocks, they shouldn't be using scare tactics for god sake.

They shouldn't say "You must be able to carry your alcohol yourself, without using any wheeled devices, including trolleys, wheelbarrows and wheeled suitcases", and "Any Alcohol which is brought to the gates using a wheeled device will not be allowed in, and may be confiscated" if they really meant:

"If we suspect you of intending to sell alcohol on the site, your alcohol may be confiscated"

i'm confused about 2 things:

- why couldn't they just reiterate the "alcohol for personal consumption only" policy? the whole wheel thing is just weird!

- why did seetickets send the email not the fest itself?

Bollocks, they shouldn't be using scare tactics for god sake.

They shouldn't say "You must be able to carry your alcohol yourself, without using any wheeled devices, including trolleys, wheelbarrows and wheeled suitcases", and "Any Alcohol which is brought to the gates using a wheeled device will not be allowed in, and may be confiscated" if they really meant:

"If we suspect you of intending to sell alcohol on the site, your alcohol may be confiscated"