Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

This is bull and uninforceable because I reckon about 90% of people I see going in have sack trucks full of beer. What if you have one sack truck between 4? What if you are taking things for people who are on coaches? How do you stop people just going back to the car to get more beer? It's idiotic and never going to happen so I wouldn't even worry.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an outrage!! They can't simply move the goalposts at the last minute after we have purchased tickets. There are 12 of us in our group, how on earth do they expect to carry our cans individually?? What do they want us to do, make trips every day to our vehicles for a drink refil? RAGING!!!!

I have received this email too. Pretty sure is is genuine.

They cannot possibly enforce the "Any Alcohol which is brought to the gates using a wheeled device will not be allowed in, and may be confiscated" rule as it discriminates against those who are unable to carry heavy weights. I suspect the stewards will have guidelines as to what is a reasonable amount.

So stupid of the organisers to announce this so late on as many people have already bought their alcohol.

its penalising everyone for the actions of a drunk and disorderly minority. a very, very small minority in my experience.

All i can hope is that it is something they have been forced to send out that in reality will not be enforced. but that is perhaps wishful thinking. I am pretty angry right now.

I wonder if its just a scare tactic.

i.e. they send it out now, people get worried and so take less with them and spend more money in the bars.

I dont think we will see wholesale confiscations of booze they are just hoping that this will have the effect of some people turning up with less.

Brilliant... have bought an expensive coolbox with wheels, 72 tinnies to fill it, and was going to strap it all to my new sack barrow. I better hit the gym.

Mind you, on the last two years the bloody wheels have fallen off my trolley by the time I get to Ped gate D so it probably won't be an issue anyway !

its penalising everyone for the actions of a drunk and disorderly minority.

I doubt it's anything to do with that.

It's likely to be about stopping people bringing in cans to sell, mostly. After all, selling alcohol without a licence is a crime by itself.

I know lots of other festivals have had a lot of hassle from the old bill about lots of supposed under-age drinking going on on-site - and I believe it's the case that the legal responsibility for it falls on the festival's licence holder. Because the bars don't serve people who are underage, then it's deemed to be illegal alcohol sellers (which is a rather simplistic view by the old bill of course, but the old bill always do simple).

The last thing we need at glasto is a menacing security presence on the gates. This has the potential to leave a very sour taste....

hopefully the method of transportation wont matter as long as you can show them that what you have is for personal consumption.

Also, would this not technically further push more people into using contraband....

So, what would happen if I were to wheel my crates of alcohol to the gates, lift them from the trolley or similar wheeled device, carry them through the gates one at a time, and then replace them upon said device once it has too passed through the gates free of alcohol?

I doubt it's anything to do with that.

It's likely to be about stopping people bringing in cans to sell, mostly. After all, selling alcohol without a licence is a crime by itself.

I know lots of other festivals have had a lot of hassle from the old bill about lots of supposed under-age drinking going on on-site - and I believe it's the case that the legal responsibility for it falls on the festival's licence holder. Because the bars don't serve people who are underage, then it's deemed to be illegal alcohol sellers (which is a rather simplistic view by the old bill of course, but the old bill always do simple).

People saying they have no right to do it, of course they do, Glastonbury could refuse you entry to the festival unless you're dressed as a walrus if they wanted (further to the gumtree advert going around), but it's obviously going to cause a lot of shit.

You are at the beck and call of the festival, you just have faith in the festival to do what is right.

I have just got back from a two weeks trip to Greece and have not even thought about booze yet.

This email is a great success, no longer do I have to search around for good deals and think about carrying booze to the gate. I shall simply pack light and pick my free booze up at the gates :D! Hopefully a better selection on offer than a supermarket as well.

Edited by More rain