Who is from the original rave scene of 88-89?

Rodbull

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Missed out on being there from the beginning. I came into the rave scene in 1992. Universe, Fantasia, Obsession, Dance Planet were the big events but our weekends in between were spent mostly at venues like the Warehouse in Plymouth, Kaos in Barnstaple, Lakota in Bristol, Verbeer Manor in Cullompton, Volts in Exeter, Pawlett Manor, Cornwall Coliseum. Mostly Southwest-based until members of our lot learned to drive and we got as far afield as The Edge in Coventry and Que Club in Birmingham, etc. Would love to have been there in 88/89 but we had the best times in our era. 

Would love to hear some of you guys' stories.

Thats the first mention of Verber Manor ive heard for many years ... I led quite a sheltered youth but many of my friends at the time frequented that place :) 

Eh really?

Had some great times there and also at the Orange nights at the Astoria. Jeez they were messy but super fun times.

I ended up transporting the sound systems for World Dance organisation for a few years. Would have done it for free but they insisted on paying me and giving me AAA passes. Many a great time was had!

Edited by Cooter

19 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Eh really?

Had some great times there and also at the Orange nights at the Astoria. Jeez they were messy but super fun times.

I ended up transporting the sound systems for World Dance organisation for a few years. Would have done it for free but they insisted on paying me and giving me AAA passes. Many a great time was had!

Afraid so. Don't look good.

Wow! World Dance. That was a big rave back then.  I caught the arse end of Slammin Vinyl when it was at Bagleys (99). Was a huge fan of the scene but i was too young to go

5 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Afraid so. Don't look good.

Wow! World Dance. That was a big rave back then.  I caught the arse end of Slammin Vinyl when it was at Bagleys (99). Was a huge fan of the scene but i was too young to go

Could be an insurance job 

image.gif.ef8041ebd8a79581e044fdc664e723fe.gif

13 hours ago, faymondo said:

Tall Paul 😍

Its a top tune that got absolutely hammered. Big Stu Allan tune. Don't really hear it anymore. I loved all that mid nineties handbag house. Stuff like Rockford Files - Sexy dancer and all the Tall Paul stuff (Camisra, Decktition, Sunglasses Ron)

12 hours ago, circus92 said:

Lovin it - oh the memories 😄  

2:57 in - featuring last years Glasto legend - Kylie Minogue!

Cool mix with Problem House - Party People - always loved mixing it.  Anyone ever remember Carl Cox live remixing it with 2 copies?

Thats Visionmasters - Keep on Pumpin It Up. Think it was Paul Taylor and Pete Waterman who produced it. It deffo came out on PWL, thats why the Kylie sample is on it.

Here is my fave remix of Problem House. Its the Dj Trix mix. i have 2 copies somewhere but not seen either of them for years 😞

Edited by eastynh

14 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Hacienda, Thunderdome, Konspiracy, Number One Club, Blackburn (Manchester Football Hooligan organised) raves, Ibiza in 88, numerous Stoke and Blackpool incarnations including one memorable early morning spectacle of Altern8 playing on the back of flat bed lorry outside of Longton Leisure Bowl.

And preferring cheap acid over expensive and seemingly extravagant Es... Seem to remember functioning on a relatively normal basis for Wednesday and Thursday on an average week..

Suprised i made 50😁

Mostly live music now mate.  The (very) occasional club night in UK and get on it if we have a weekend in Europe.  Berlin in particular due to quite a few ex pat Manc's we know out there.

Usually kick the arse out of it at the Summer festivals.  Beatherder still has some magic moments despite some of the problems it faces punter wise.  Also Moovin Festival.  Small but pretty cool.

As a Rovers fan and my Mam being from Blackburn I’d have loved to have gone those parties. See flags at football Hacienda Blackburn. Who DJed there? I know Sasha did. 

I think as I get older it’s gonna be festivals and holidays only for me. Still young for a while now. My Mam and Dad were Northern Soul and they stopped going out every weekend about 32 they say and all together when they were about 45. Enjoyed Beatherder when I went previously.

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

As a Rovers fan and my Mam being from Blackburn I’d have loved to have gone those parties. See flags at football Hacienda Blackburn. Who DJed there? I know Sasha did. 

I think as I get older it’s gonna be festivals and holidays only for me. Still young for a while now. My Mam and Dad were Northern Soul and they stopped going out every weekend about 32 they say and all together when they were about 45. Enjoyed Beatherder when I went previously.

Who dj'ed at the Hac? The main ones were Mike Pickering (from M People) Graeme Park, John DaDilva and Dave Haslam.

Sasha was more famous for playing at Shelleys in Stoke.

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Who dj'ed at the Hac? The main ones were Mike Pickering (from M People) Graeme Park, John DaDilva and Dave Haslam.

Sasha was more famous for playing at Shelleys in Stoke.

No mate at the Blackburn raves. I know Sasha did then I assume Hacienda residents. You never know if someone mad played though always curious. Everyone starts somewhere don’t they? Sure I read Laurent Garnier had played at the Blackburn raves. 

Reason I asked if people still go out is I have always found the “isnt as good as it was in my day crowd a bit irritating” I always ask anyone who says that do they still go out, when was the last time I did.

I remember one of the lads from Optimo tweeting the atmosphere at The White Hotel was better than any time he went the Hacienda. I personally have no idea myself. From what I’ve read and when I speak to people seems there were an awful lot of gangsters and dickheads around in the late 80’s early 90’s. 

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

1992 living in Kidderminster the word went round our local The Tumbling Sailor of a party out Malvern way.  We all bundled into my old Golf and headed out towards Castlemorton only to find squads of police a couple of miles from the common.  We told a copper we lived down there but oddly he didn't seem too convinced and told us to f*** off home.

Which we did.

Heady days.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Missed out on being there from the beginning. I came into the rave scene in 1992. Universe, Fantasia, Obsession, Dance Planet were the big events but our weekends in between were spent mostly at venues like the Warehouse in Plymouth, Kaos in Barnstaple, Lakota in Bristol, Verbeer Manor in Cullompton, Volts in Exeter, Pawlett Manor, Cornwall Coliseum. Mostly Southwest-based until members of our lot learned to drive and we got as far afield as The Edge in Coventry and Que Club in Birmingham, etc. Would love to have been there in 88/89 but we had the best times in our era. 

Would love to hear some of you guys' stories.

Verb, Pawlet Manor, lazy House, Cheese Pavilion (Sketch), Lakota, Raindance, Fiddington, plenty free parties...late to the scene but made up for it!

Good times, still can't dance without gurning!

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Reason I asked if people still go out is I have always found the “isnt as good as it was in my day crowd a bit irritating” I always ask anyone who says that do they still go out, when was the last time I did.

I remember one of the lads from Optimo tweeting the atmosphere at The White Hotel was better than any time he went the Hacienda. I personally have no idea myself. From what I’ve read and when I speak to people seems there were an awful lot of gangsters and dickheads around in the late 80’s early 90’s. 

From the people who I know who were Haçienda regulars, they say there was a sense of excitement then, that can't really be matched now... as it was new. Not just for those doing it, but for the police, the government, the press - everyone. Now things are santised. Everyone knows their place. All the music was new and exciting. Now, there are "techno" "house" "drum n bass" nights - then, anything went. If it was a tune, it got played.

The thing is though, I have still found illegal raves far more exciting than organised parties. About 13/14 years ago in Leeds there was Ketaloco. Some students gutted their student house out & turned it into a club on a Sunday Morning. There was about 150 / 200 people in the house when we went. We got a bus after Sankeys to go specifically there. It wasnt a house party. It was a rave... til the Police shut them down.

There was one called Riff Raff too I went to. Psytrance & Techno. They broke into a community centre in Leeds, rigged it up. It was used as a homeless shelter. Paid a fiver on the doir. They rigged it up, played a night & gave half the money to the homeless shelter.

Now its a legitimate night I think. Licenced.

I went to an illegal rave in Hebden Bridge last year, it was brilliant. Still a bit of a sense if danger to be honest.

I went to that Adidas Spezial Haçienda night in Blackburn a few months ago. At King George's Hall.

The line up was - Greame Park, Rob Tissera & Primal Scream.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

From the people who I know who were Haçienda regulars, they say there was a sense of excitement then, that can't really be matched now... as it was new. Not just for those doing it, but for the police, the government, the press - everyone. Now things are santised. Everyone knows their place. All the music was new and exciting. Now, there are "techno" "house" "drum n bass" nights - then, anything went. If it was a tune, it got played.

The thing is though, I have still found illegal raves far more exciting than organised parties. About 13/14 years ago in Leeds there was Ketaloco. Some students gutted their student house out & turned it into a club on a Sunday Morning. There was about 150 / 200 people in the house when we went. We got a bus after Sankeys to go specifically there. It wasnt a house party. It was a rave... til the Police shut them down.

There was one called Riff Raff too I went to. Psytrance & Techno. They broke into a community centre in Leeds, rigged it up. It was used as a homeless shelter. Paid a fiver on the doir. They rigged it up, played a night & gave half the money to the homeless shelter.

Now its a legitimate night I think. Licenced.

I went to an illegal rave in Hebden Bridge last year, it was brilliant. Still a bit of a sense if danger to be honest.

I went to that Adidas Spezial Haçienda night in Blackburn a few months ago. At King George's Hall.

The line up was - Greame Park, Rob Tissera & Primal Scream.

Most of my favourite DJ’s do this I would say. Must have been mega exciting, my Grandad rang my Mam every Monday to tell her what had happened. Madness. Must have been crazy hearing something like Energy Flash, Strings of Life or LFO for the first time. 

I’ve been a few of the free parties in the North. Went to one under Thellwall Viaduct and a Thatchers Dead one at the Goyte valley. After that one in Goyte valley went on some mad ramble back to a train station over these farmers fields, c**t came out chasing us on a quad bike with his dog in a cart next to it like fucking Wallace and Grommet hahaha.

For all the excitement and travel the tunes and sound weren’t that great and it was full of absolute dickheads. c**ts were getting robbed on the perimeter of the rave and around. They even jumped on the mic at one point and said people are being robbed be careful. Definitely a young mans game the free party scene. Maybe I’m just a softarse.

I went the trainer show was class. Did you go to the art gallery that was by the Turtle Bay? They had a stained glasses window of ravers at the Blackburn Raves and these big canvas/textile protest things from the mining strikes? I thought that was brilliant. Goldie played a set also at King George’s wish I’d have gone to that but I think I was already out somewhere else.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I remember ketaloco, there undoing was when they actually started advertising on the fly poster sites around Leeds. 

19 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

No mate at the Blackburn raves. I know Sasha did then I assume Hacienda residents. You never know if someone mad played though always curious. Everyone starts somewhere don’t they? Sure I read Laurent Garnier had played at the Blackburn raves. 

Its hard to compare the 2 eras as it was a completely different time. I was a nineties raver rather than 80's raver, but grew up through and around it all. You have to remember that the ONLY person and place playing house music in the entire country, on the radio, at that time was Stu Allan on Piccadilly. Now pop songs have a 4 on the floor kick drum, with a snare on the 2 a hi hat on the up beat. It was just a different world really.

When I went to the Hac, there was an excitement about going to the Hac, but looking back it was a bit shit. Dress codes and metal detectors. Never seen any members of New Order walking about. There was better music and atmospheres elsewhere in the early 90's. The bands nights I went to at the Hac were better than the club nights. Yellow at the Boardwalk across the rd was better than the Hac in the early / mid nineties.

There was an edge to going out years ago where as it all seems sanitised now. There were no mobiles or camera phones. People would skin up in a club and no one would say a thing apart from after you. Every town had its own little club, who pulled the big name dj's of the day. Hippos in Middleton with the Prodigy and Carl Cox, Angels in Burnley with Paul Taylor, Shelleys in Stoke with Sasha and Altern 8, Out In The Sticks in Todmorden, Club Carlos in Colne, The World in Warrington. The Temple in Bolton. Thats without even talking about Liverpool or Manchester. Now you have the Warehouse Project and thats it. They put embargo's on dj's and artists so that they can not play anywhere else in Manchester. People are more interested in Instagram and what they look like these days. But there was an edge and it was a lot more volatile. It kicked off constantly and I have seen full scale riots outside clubs. That generally does not happen now.

Then there is the dj's themselves. Even that is totally different. When I dj'ed, I did not have a style, I just played what I wanted, as long as I could mix it. Dj'ing is different. You can't pull the same tricks on a technics turntable as you can on a midi controller and software. Every dj was different as there was a limit on the tunes you had accessibility to. You had to buy your vinyl from record shops and there were limits on the physical numbers available. If there were only 200 white labels, that was it, if you did not get one then you could not play the tune. Its not like today where everyone has immediate access to everything.

It was a totally different world back then and you can not compare the 2 eras. Even these retro revival nights are nothing like what they were back in the day. These Hacienda nights are fuck all like the Hac and just a money making exercise for Peter Hook. 

Music wise I think the old skool stuff has stood the test of time. These retro nights still sell out and now you are seeing stuff like on a ragga tip and son'z of a loop da loop era being used on TV adverts. There is still nothing better than seeing a dj on 2 turntables mixing vinyl (as long as it is done well).

It is not for me to say it was better back then as life is what you make it. I would have a good time now. Yet I am glad I did my raving when I did. Before instagram and mobile phones. Clubbing/raving was not better back then, it was just different. I am glad I got to experience those times as they will never be repeated.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Its hard to compare the 2 eras as it was a completely different time. I was a nineties raver rather than 80's raver, but grew up through and around it all. You have to remember that the ONLY person and place playing house music in the entire country, on the radio, at that time was Stu Allan on Piccadilly. Now pop songs have a 4 on the floor kick drum, with a snare on the 2 a hi hat on the up beat. It was just a different world really.

When I went to the Hac, there was an excitement about going to the Hac, but looking back it was a bit shit. Dress codes and metal detectors. Never seen any members of New Order walking about. There was better music and atmospheres elsewhere in the early 90's. The bands nights I went to at the Hac were better than the club nights. Yellow at the Boardwalk across the rd was better than the Hac in the early / mid nineties.

There was an edge to going out years ago where as it all seems sanitised now. There were no mobiles or camera phones. People would skin up in a club and no one would say a thing apart from after you. Every town had its own little club, who pulled the big name dj's of the day. Hippos in Middleton with the Prodigy and Carl Cox, Angels in Burnley with Paul Taylor, Shelleys in Stoke with Sasha and Altern 8, Out In The Sticks in Todmorden, Club Carlos in Colne, The World in Warrington. The Temple in Bolton. Thats without even talking about Liverpool or Manchester. Now you have the Warehouse Project and thats it. They put embargo's on dj's and artists so that they can not play anywhere else in Manchester. People are more interested in Instagram and what they look like these days. But there was an edge and it was a lot more volatile. It kicked off constantly and I have seen full scale riots outside clubs. That generally does not happen now.

Then there is the dj's themselves. Even that is totally different. When I dj'ed, I did not have a style, I just played what I wanted, as long as I could mix it. Dj'ing is different. You can't pull the same tricks on a technics turntable as you can on a midi controller and software. Every dj was different as there was a limit on the tunes you had accessibility to. You had to buy your vinyl from record shops and there were limits on the physical numbers available. If there were only 200 white labels, that was it, if you did not get one then you could not play the tune. Its not like today where everyone has immediate access to everything.

It was a totally different world back then and you can not compare the 2 eras. Even these retro revival nights are nothing like what they were back in the day. These Hacienda nights are fuck all like the Hac and just a money making exercise for Peter Hook. 

Music wise I think the old skool stuff has stood the test of time. These retro nights still sell out and now you are seeing stuff like on a ragga tip and son'z of a loop da loop era being used on TV adverts. There is still nothing better than seeing a dj on 2 turntables mixing vinyl (as long as it is done well).

It is not for me to say it was better back then as life is what you make it. I would have a good time now. Yet I am glad I did my raving when I did. Before instagram and mobile phones. Clubbing/raving was not better back then, it was just different. I am glad I got to experience those times as they will never be repeated.

If you go to nightclubs in Berlin and Amsterdam they put a sticker over your camera phone which is such a simple thing and makes the night so much better. I wish they did it over here to be honest. 

I don’t think the embargo thing is as bad as it’s made out. A lad I know works for WHP and him and a few others run a night together. Granted they’re affiliated with WHP but they book acts at Soup Kitchen, Hidden, Refuge and White Hotel that play WHP as do others who are WHP affiliated. To say you can only see top DJ’s at WHP or bust isn’t quite true IMO.

I think the promotors who aren’t involved with WHP are forced to make more left field bookings or work a bit harder but sometimes that can be a good thing. I think the clubbing scene or whatever you want to call it in Manchester/Salford is in a really good place myself. Far better than 5-8 years ago.

I think there’s an argument to be made you can do more on the fly with CDJ’s and have a far bigger library of tunes. Some of my favourite DJ’s play all vinyl, some play a mix and some are only on CDJ’s I’m not overly bothered as long as it’s sounding good to my ears. A good friend of mine does DMC/IDA and he’s using Technics with Serato which I think is the standard now, can be more creative than just records mixers and little dots stuck on records. 

Think you’re right though really, you can’t compare eras. Good post. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I went the trainer show was class. Did you go to the art gallery that was by the Turtle Bay? They had a stained glasses window of ravers at the Blackburn Raves and these big canvas/textile protest things from the mining strikes? I thought that was brilliant. Goldie played a set also at King George’s wish I’d have gone to that but I think I was already out somewhere else.

We missed that... not sure how. My mate is from Darwen, he mustn't have known about that. He went to the Goldie night though. Said it was good, but not busy.

Dropjaw Audio did an illegal rave at the back of his house a few months ago. Goldie played. He thought it was a mad house party and didn't go.

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

, Angels in Burnley with Paul Taylor

My mate played with Carl Cox at Angels in Burnley. Andy Daniels. Also known as Big Danny. Went on to be a resident of Hed Kandi for years.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

I remember ketaloco, there undoing was when they actually started advertising on the fly poster sites around Leeds. 

I never knew they did that!

22 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Hacienda Blackburn was at a club called Manhattan Heights 1990 to 1991. It was fun. For the first couple Graham Park and Mike Pickering DJ'd, I think. Adamski and Seal did a PA at the first one - it was the first time that I'd heard Killer. I seem to remember that they were thrown out for smoking joints in the VIP suite. 

The first few were  big nights with loads of people coming to Blackburn from Manchester by coach. Peter Hook was certainly at the first one so i think that it must have been organised by the Hacienda. 

3 minutes ago, rostro said:

Hacienda Blackburn was at a club called Manhattan Heights 1990 to 1991. It was fun. For the first couple Graham Park and Mike Pickering DJ'd, I think. Adamski and Seal did a PA at the first one - it was the first time that I'd heard Killer. I seem to remember that they were thrown out for smoking joints in the VIP suite. 

The first few were  big nights with loads of people coming to Blackburn from Manchester by coach. Peter Hook was certainly at the first one so i think that it must have been organised by the Hacienda. 

Ahhh right. Thanks. So that was different to the whole warehouse and mill thing? 

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Ahhh right. Thanks. So that was different to the whole warehouse and mill thing? 

Yes. It was originally on a Tuesday night, weirdly. It was there as a consequence of the warehouse parties. Blackburn was a lot of fun for a couple of years. 

30 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My mate played with Carl Cox at Angels in Burnley. Andy Daniels. Also known as Big Danny. Went on to be a resident of Hed Kandi for years.

I never knew they did that!

Ok Fuzzy, this is a bit weird and I suppose not that surprising.

I grew up with Andy Daniels. So many anecdotes to go into here. Spent our misspent years on magic mushies and Gaymers Olde English. I know his brothers Craig and Mark well also.

Got so many funny stories about the old days with him. We took acid in Konspiracy in (I'm guessing) 89 and literally lost hours. So mashed.

Where are you from?  I used to live in Urmston. His brother used to be massive Glastonbury attender but had backed off as it has turned more sanitised

56 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If you go to nightclubs in Berlin and Amsterdam they put a sticker over your camera phone which is such a simple thing and makes the night so much better. I wish they did it over here to be honest. 

I don’t think the embargo thing is as bad as it’s made out. A lad I know works for WHP and him and a few others run a night together. Granted they’re affiliated with WHP but they book acts at Soup Kitchen, Hidden, Refuge and White Hotel that play WHP as do others who are WHP affiliated. To say you can only see top DJ’s at WHP or bust isn’t quite true IMO.

I think the promotors who aren’t involved with WHP are forced to make more left field bookings or work a bit harder but sometimes that can be a good thing. I think the clubbing scene or whatever you want to call it in Manchester/Salford is in a really good place myself. Far better than 5-8 years ago.

I think there’s an argument to be made you can do more on the fly with CDJ’s and have a far bigger library of tunes. Some of my favourite DJ’s play all vinyl, some play a mix and some are only on CDJ’s I’m not overly bothered as long as it’s sounding good to my ears. A good friend of mine does DMC/IDA and he’s using Technics with Serato which I think is the standard now, can be more creative than just records mixers and little dots stuck on records. 

56 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I am not advocating one way is better than the other. Vinyl is more fun  but there are far more possibilities with digital. Put it this way, I work in the semiconductor industry, advances in technology keep me in a job, so I am certainly no Luddite.

I see some things now though and it makes go think WTF. My mate had a video of Sonny Fodera  on youtube in his house the other day. Apparently he is the big thing at the minute. Now he might be a super producer, I have no idea and fair play to him if he is, but as a dj it was the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen. It was two of them with a set of headphones each, talking to each other constantly, doing absolutely fuck all on the 2 cdj's and paying absolutely no attention to the people dancing and trying to get on camera behind them. You just could not do that years ago. You had to watch the crowd, not the camera and if someone was talking to you while you were trying to mix, you would tell them to fuck off. There was no way you would be having a conversation and twiddling the mid range on the mixer in between. That seemed to be all style over Substance.

Yet I have seen kids like Wizards on these controllers, doing things I could only dream of on a pair of turntables. I suppose its about being able to separate of the wheat and chaff. With me being out of touch in regards to club culture and trends these days, it is difficult for me to do so. I just stick to electro pop.

@FuzzyDunlop I know of big Danny rather than know him. Our paths have crossed at a few events and he has dj'ed for nights that my mates have put on. He was a very good dj.