Who is from the original rave scene of 88-89?

Rodbull

1st got into the acid house in 88, a little bit ,because i was still into the footie at the time too. Then in

'89 i went along to the Treworgy Tree fair, and this sound system was playing acid/ house music, and

i was sold. !! Good times.

Main venue i went to in those days was the Eclipse in Coventry, but travelled to all the ''big''

summer raves like Fantazia , Helter Skelter, Raindance, Back to the Future, Universe, and locally

Tin Tins. Again, good times.

I was at Strawberry Fields fest last year, and they had a Flashback tent with Slipmatt, Shades of Rythmn in.

Absolutely brilliant few hours in there, all the classics one after another.

I'm a prehensile raver, I pre-date the Criminal Justice Act 1988/1994/2003, not my favourite piece of legislation,

"sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats."

• Upvote 1

Going on 44 now and look fondly back on my days of the quad and the drome in merseyside. Was thinking how many oldskool ravers are still up for it? Now a days in a campervan ( :)) and with a wife and daughter but still having the time of my life!

Live today likes it,s your last

Edited by DAVA

41 year old raver here!

Rickys, Warehouse, Shelleys & late night raves in Blackburn, Leeds, Pool Bank. Had some great nights & the last time it felt that there was a genuine underground movement similar to Punk. Still listen to loads of the old tunes & went to a Rickys reunion a couple of years ago with K-Klass.

Great days!

• 6 years later...
On 6/7/2013 at 8:32 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

when pills cost £25 but did the job...

I remember this bit, but never went to clubs. It was mostly wild parties for me, as well as a few illegal warehouse bashes. Incidentally I had an e like the £25 ones on the weekend after last bonfire night. To be honest up until then I'd started to very much wane on the e front, having all but given up hope of having one again like they 'used' to be. Took me totally by surprise - a very pleasant one though.

On 6/7/2013 at 7:38 PM, Rodbull said:

Going on 44 now and look fondly back on my days of the quad and the drome in merseyside. Was thinking how many oldskool ravers are still up for it? Now a days in a campervan (:)) and with a wife and daughter but still having the time of my life!

Live today likes it,s your last

Wish I’d have gone the Quad talking to scousers at work. Sadly I’m 28 not 48 haha.

Can I ask you all if any of you still go out and if so where do you go? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Mix on vinyl I did at the Dry Bar in Manchester.

Listen to 100% Old Skool Mix @ Dry Live Manchester by eastynh on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/eastynh/100-old-skool-mix-dry-live-manchester

Lovin it - oh the memories 😄  

2:57 in - featuring last years Glasto legend - Kylie Minogue!

Cool mix with Problem House - Party People - always loved mixing it.  Anyone ever remember Carl Cox live remixing it with 2 copies?

Edited by circus92

Hacienda, Thunderdome, Konspiracy, Number One Club, Blackburn (Manchester Football Hooligan organised) raves, Ibiza in 88, numerous Stoke and Blackpool incarnations including one memorable early morning spectacle of Altern8 playing on the back of flat bed lorry outside of Longton Leisure Bowl.

And preferring cheap acid over expensive and seemingly extravagant Es... Seem to remember functioning on a relatively normal basis for Wednesday and Thursday on an average week..

Suprised i made 50😁

Can I ask you all if any of you still go out and if so where do you go? Just curious. 

Mostly live music now mate.  The (very) occasional club night in UK and get on it if we have a weekend in Europe.  Berlin in particular due to quite a few ex pat Manc's we know out there.

Usually kick the arse out of it at the Summer festivals.  Beatherder still has some magic moments despite some of the problems it faces punter wise.  Also Moovin Festival.  Small but pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

I was really lucky. Born in Bristol in ‘76 to liberal parents who didn’t mind me going to free raves put on in the local woods by Vinyl Junkie when I was 14/15 (didn’t even drink). Then was a student in Cardiff 95 to 98 when clubbing of the hard trance and house variety were huge. Lakota and club Loco in Bristol were the nuts then.

Missed out on being there from the beginning. I came into the rave scene in 1992. Universe, Fantasia, Obsession, Dance Planet were the big events but our weekends in between were spent mostly at venues like the Warehouse in Plymouth, Kaos in Barnstaple, Lakota in Bristol, Verbeer Manor in Cullompton, Volts in Exeter, Pawlett Manor, Cornwall Coliseum. Mostly Southwest-based until members of our lot learned to drive and we got as far afield as The Edge in Coventry and Que Club in Birmingham, etc. Would love to have been there in 88/89 but we had the best times in our era. 

Would love to hear some of you guys' stories.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I was really lucky. Born in Bristol in ‘76 to liberal parents who didn’t mind me going to free raves put on in the local woods by Vinyl Junkie when I was 14/15 (didn’t even drink).

Enough respect to your parents. They had (and hopefully still have) access to a brain each. Oh to have a set of parents that had realised the importance of freedom, over the restrictions of success, as defined by the Daily Mail etc.

• Upvote 1