Who is from the original rave scene of 88-89?

Rodbull

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Depends on your interpretation of "old skool", which for me ended in 92. 93 at a push. 

Exactly same for me - 90-92 was incredible,  but it changed dramatically from the start of 93 for me - the magic disappeared very quickly.

12 hours ago, circus92 said:

Exactly same for me - 90-92 was incredible,  but it changed dramatically from the start of 93 for me - the magic disappeared very quickly.

Just around the same time the bellends started arriving in their droves to kelly’s and circus circus the music went rapidly downhill in Northern Ireland!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

I started my party days in 94 at Universe Tribal Gathering . Still got these that I bought in 95 I think. 

C57A8DBA-9F3B-419C-9F82-92D23B49BAAA.jpeg

23C1FBA6-128A-4B2D-AD1F-79460342B12E.jpeg

Loving that hat! Still got my T-shirt from tribal gathering 95, still gets worn occasionally, although it’s nearly twenty five years ago and not really old school it’s definitely one of the best nights of my life. Coincided with my birthday too, birthday parties don’t get any better than that 😎

7DC6AE6B-F955-40F6-8FB0-7C2FB85F8216.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, lbits said:

Just around the same time the bellends started arriving in their droves to kelly’s and circus circus the music went rapidly downhill in Northern Ireland!

🤣🤣🤣

Yeah - like all good things that era had its moment in the sun and will never be repeated.  Just glad I was there to experience it, and made the most of it while it lasted 😁

18 hours ago, lbits said:

Loving that hat! Still got my T-shirt from tribal gathering 95, still gets worn occasionally, although it’s nearly twenty five years ago and not really old school it’s definitely one of the best nights of my life. Coincided with my birthday too, birthday parties don’t get any better than that 😎

7DC6AE6B-F955-40F6-8FB0-7C2FB85F8216.jpeg

was that the one near Luton, or the one the year before near Oxford?

I went to the Oxford one.

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I thought the first Tribal Gathering was in Wiltshire in 93 (my first outdoor rave) 

just having read TG's wiki page you're correct - tho I suspect that was more of a low key (publicity-wise) event.

The wiki page says 1994 was in Germany, and then next two (Oxford, then Luton) were done in conjunction with Mean Fiddler (and were a bit crap from my limited memory of the Oxford one).

For real old-skool a few years earlier (1988/9?) hello to anyone who did Marilyn's (?) in the sticks near Alton in Hampshire. It was a weird place at the back of a country pub after the pub closed, and I met people in there who'd travelled from Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham, etc.

You must have been hard to please if you thought tribal gathering 95 was a bit crap, beautiful weather, lovely surroundings, cracking lineup and no hassle from the cops and the 96 event is widely regarded as the one best parties ever. Tbh the lineups universe put on put current dance festivals to shame, chemical brothers, daft punk, leftfield, goldie and underworld all in one night not to mention the djs!

I found free parties early to mid 90s and travelled all over Yorkshire and Lincolnshire to raves in forests and old warehouses.. also spent a lot of time n the Arches in Sheffield seeing Smokescreen, Spoof and Curfew play.  Also Remedy and Scuba nights for a long time.. I was really sad when the scene dropped off, I wasn't ready for it to end..  I went back to my indie roots and gig going.. but I love reliving my dance past at the Downlow or the Greenpeace rave tree at Glastonbury.

Edited by Pipine

Went to the Moondance festival two summers back and it was awesome. Only about £15, highly recommended.

It was the first weekend in July during that mad hot summer and almost made up for the lack of Glastonbury.

Sadly, last year, when it wasn't a fallow year, they moved it back a weekend and I had to miss it as I was at Glastonbury - sod's law!

Hoping for no clash this time (and a Glasto ticket).

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Went to the Moondance festival two summers back and it was awesome. Only about £15, highly recommended.

It was the first weekend in July during that mad hot summer and almost made up for the lack of Glastonbury.

Sadly, last year, when it wasn't a fallow year, they moved it back a weekend and I had to miss it as I was at Glastonbury - sod's law!

Hoping for no clash this time (and a Glasto ticket).

Have been to Moondance festival since 2016 which was the first of the new festival in Olympic Park, it was then at Trent Park and then Hainault. Good times

On 1/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

The old school stuff that you still remember has stood the test of time. The awful forgettable stuff you never listen to hasn't.

You will have to give me some examples mate. 

I am just looking at the rave, hardcore, breakbeat and piano house stuff.

I still buy old skool vinyl and the prices are going through the roof, especially the 1992 piano breakbeat stuff.

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You will have to give me some examples mate. 

I am just looking at the rave, hardcore, breakbeat and piano house stuff.

I still buy old skool vinyl and the prices are going through the roof, especially the 1992 piano breakbeat stuff.

Had tonnes of this stuff back in the day, mainly from 90-92, sold it all in 1996 - DOH!

Have been buying my favourites back on vinyl over the last few years and it is bloody expensive.

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Had tonnes of this stuff back in the day, mainly from 90-92, sold it all in 1996 - DOH!

Have been buying my favourites back on vinyl over the last few years and it is bloody expensive.

I have kept all mine, got thousands of them. Could have paid my mortgage off by now with what they have cost me.

Still can't help myself though. Offered £200 to a lad off Discogs for a Lovejuice Vol1 - Smaller Than Zero, just before Xmas. He turned it down and said he wanted £250. I would not mind but I would play it once while doing the ironing, put it in a rack and never see it again. 

Its an expensive hobbie mate, you have my deepest sympathy if it has bitten you again. I perfectly understand why they call it the black crack.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I have kept all mine, got thousands of them. Could have paid my mortgage off by now with what they have cost me.

Still can't help myself though. Offered £200 to a lad off Discogs for a Lovejuice Vol1 - Smaller Than Zero, just before Xmas. He turned it down and said he wanted £250. I would not mind but I would play it once while doing the ironing, put it in a rack and never see it again. 

Its an expensive hobbie mate, you have my deepest sympathy if it has bitten you again. I perfectly understand why they call it the black crack.

You made the right call - don't ever sell them - they are priceless!  I learned the hard way ☹️

Thanks for reminding of Lovejuice Vol1 - just had a listen again on youtube and it took me right back.  Move Your Body - what a tune!  Just about sums up that era perfectly.  Cheers Mate 👍

10 minutes ago, circus92 said:

You made the right call - don't ever sell them - they are priceless!  I learned the hard way ☹️

Thanks for reminding of Lovejuice Vol1 - just had a listen again on youtube and it took me right back.  Move Your Body - what a tune!  Just about sums up that era perfectly.  Cheers Mate 👍

I want Lovejuice for this. Have always loved it. 

Once I have my campervan paid off for Glasto, I may treat myself

On 1/12/2020 at 12:18 AM, circus92 said:

I preferred it when the music was a slightly mental free-for-all. I thought it went downhill when it all went darker and more jungley. Bit more serious I guess.

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2013 at 7:43 PM, boglin2 said:

Does 1990 Hacienda/Manchester and Warehouse/ Leeds count?? 46 years young and just been playing 12" jazzy house and dancing around my lounge!

WDA old son....been there from the start 

Have to edit 

Free party's only.. Along with spiral tribe,, tribealocust,, technonotice, big fish little fish,, there doing OK. That's not a crew.. 

The Manor 

Stains 

Eden 

Lots more.. We have VOID speakers now so bbbbbbooom town and more..

Stay safe. Please stay in.. Peace and tea. G

Edited by guypjfreak