Who is from the original rave scene of 88-89?

Rodbull

37 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Ok Fuzzy, this is a bit weird and I suppose not that surprising.

I grew up with Andy Daniels. So many anecdotes to go into here. Spent our misspent years on magic mushies and Gaymers Olde English. I know his brothers Craig and Mark well also.

Got so many funny stories about the old days with him. We took acid in Konspiracy in (I'm guessing) 89 and literally lost hours. So mashed.

Where are you from?  I used to live in Urmston. His brother used to be massive Glastonbury attender but had backed off as it has turned more sanitised

I bet you have loads of stories! I have seen photos of a few times.

I am from Rochdale. When I started clubbing, I became friends with people who were (and still are) very close to Dan & Anj (if you know her). He was a friend of a friend, but I got to know him pretty well, went to his events etc. He played Space in Ibiza for Hed Kandi. We went to that. I have not seen them for a while, but I was supposed to go to an event he was playing recently, but I couldn't go.

Danny is a really good guy. I have dj'd around manchester & been around a lot of them. He is hand on heart, the most sound of the lot.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am not advocating one way is better than the other. Vinyl is more fun  but there are far more possibilities with digital. Put it this way, I work in the semiconductor industry, advances in technology keep me in a job, so I am certainly no Luddite.

I see some things now though and it makes go think WTF. My mate had a video of Sonny Fodera  on youtube in his house the other day. Apparently he is the big thing at the minute. Now he might be a super producer, I have no idea and fair play to him if he is, but as a dj it was the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen. It was two of them with a set of headphones each, talking to each other constantly, doing absolutely fuck all on the 2 cdj's and paying absolutely no attention to the people dancing and trying to get on camera behind them. You just could not do that years ago. You had to watch the crowd, not the camera and if someone was talking to you while you were trying to mix, you would tell them to fuck off. There was no way you would be having a conversation and twiddling the mid range on the mixer in between. That seemed to be all style over Substance.

Yet I have seen kids like Wizards on these controllers, doing things I could only dream of on a pair of turntables. I suppose its about being able to separate of the wheat and chaff. With me being out of touch in regards to club culture and trends these days, it is difficult for me to do so. I just stick to electro pop.

@FuzzyDunlop I know of big Danny rather than know him. Our paths have crossed at a few events and he has dj'ed for nights that my mates have put on. He was a very good dj.

He is absolutely shite. The kids are into him and all the lads spending 6 months in the gym for their Ibiza six packs but he’s a poor representation of modern DJ’s. There’s the commercial side to clubbing and the underground I suppose that’s always been the case. Bloc9 book by far and away the best DJ’s at Glastonbury.

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I remember ketaloco, there undoing was when they actually started advertising on the fly poster sites around Leeds. 

Yes I remember it too as was regular at Basics and heard about it. Never made it there though unfortunately as I was starting to club less at that point due to having a young baby. I remember a mate phoning me up on a Sunday morning who was wandering around Headingley trying to find it and asking if I knew where it was

40 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Anyone seen High On Hope

Yes.  Disappointing that it never got a proper relese but i don't think that they could raise enough money to licence the music. Some of the party footage in it came from an old friend so i know a lot of the people in it. quite weird seeing it now. 

On 6/7/2013 at 7:38 PM, Rodbull said:

Going on 44 now and look fondly back on my days of the quad and the drome in merseyside. Was thinking how many oldskool ravers are still up for it? Now a days in a campervan (:)) and with a wife and daughter but still having the time of my life!

Live today likes it,s your last

Quady park,  051, Nation before it was Cream, G Bar,  earlier late 80's clubs I went to were Vague, Venus and Kit Kat Club, leeds and Nottingham, then moving down south mainly Club UK Wandsworth, Leisure Lounge, Camden Palais and a sh1t load more clubs and raves, semi race retired in 2000, apart from a new more trips to Ibiza my rave days are now saved for Shangri-La and Block 9 at Glasto.  55 now, you cant stop the beat...….. 

• Upvote 1

Like the birth of any new genre I think it’s a “you had to be there” type thing. It was new, exciting and pretty illegal. Back in those days there was no smartphones or internet really and the gov and the police were a bit slower to catch onto stuff like this. Especially when at illegal raves (in Ireland at least) there was waaay less fights and hassle than there was in the clubs and pubs. My dad was in his late 30s at that time but he went to a lot of illegal raves and unlicensed clubs in Ireland, mostly Dublin, and London where he worked a few summers. He remembers it fondly but has no interest in the scene today really. 

Edited by Madyaker

1 hour ago, ya_concha said:

Quady park,  051, Nation before it was Cream, G Bar,  earlier late 80's clubs I went to were Vague, Venus and Kit Kat Club, leeds and Nottingham, then moving down south mainly Club UK Wandsworth, Leisure Lounge, Camden Palais and a sh1t load more clubs and raves, semi race retired in 2000, apart from a new more trips to Ibiza my rave days are now saved for Shangri-La and Block 9 at Glasto.  55 now, you cant stop the beat...….. 

I'm 50 now so was in my prime during this period but was also a broke student with no money and no mates who were interested in the rave scene like I was. 3 grown up kids and 2 divorces later I'm now with someone who loves raving as much as I do. We have been going to Moondance, Raindance, Strictly Old Skool, Shindig Festival, Lazy Sunday Festival and anything else similar the last few years trying to relive the youth I missed. We did our first GF in 2016 and the one stick out moment was a one hour Guy Called Gerald Voodoo Ray set in the Glade which was amazing. Which other areas of Glastonbury should I aim for for the old skool scene?      

11 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

I'm 50 now so was in my prime during this period but was also a broke student with no money and no mates who were interested in the rave scene like I was. 3 grown up kids and 2 divorces later I'm now with someone who loves raving as much as I do. We have been going to Moondance, Raindance, Strictly Old Skool, Shindig Festival, Lazy Sunday Festival and anything else similar the last few years trying to relive the youth I missed. We did our first GF in 2016 and the one stick out moment was a one hour Guy Called Gerald Voodoo Ray set in the Glade which was amazing. Which other areas of Glastonbury should I aim for for the old skool scene?      

All round the Glade area is best for Old Skool. Have seen Shades Of Rhythm and Goldie do a 92 rave set on Arcadia. You get bits and bobs popping up all over though.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

All round the Glade area is best for Old Skool. Have seen Shades Of Rhythm and Goldie do a 92 rave set on Arcadia. You get bits and bobs popping up all over though.

Yeah I gathered the Glade area was one of the best but we didn't get to see Silver Hayes or the SE corner due to the weather in 2016 but will be making sure we get round to those areas. I personally want to do more of the other areas rather than the Pyramid and get to see some more of the smaller sets popping up. We're staying at Worthy View this time so should be in a better position to get to places this year. Thanks @eastynh

1 hour ago, HattersBoy said:

Strong rumours of Orbital coming along in 2020, that should fill up an old skool shaped hole.

• Upvote 1

"Bloody youngsters, don't know they're born. When I was a nipper it was Stonehenge Festival. Bloody bikers getting a bit fighty but selling pot and Peruvian marching powder. Bloody hippies selling hash cakes. And acid. And shrooms and etc... My teenage self and chums had to communicate with these (then) terrifying individuals to gain our supplies. Then scrounge lifts a week later to some pop festival in Somerset. Couldn't see that catching on. Anyhow I tried to attend the last of these do's in Wiltshire. I'd like to say I was doing my bit in defying our government at the battle of the beanfield.  Alas I got stoned in cholderton, by a fire. I awoke alone. And confused."😴

But that's when it kicked off for me. A law saying you can't dance, in a field, for free, to repetitive beats. Still sounds as fucking absurd now as it did then. I attended every free party i could. I remember a Mutoid Waste Company party in london. It got raided. Countless hours at Fleet Services, actually a damn good vibe in that car park on certain weekend's. A sort of before and after party. Excellent . Oh and 'Harry's' helped with the vibe. A little bit.😉

Then there was Enzos in amesbury/Salisbury. Then london town in good old Brixton. The academy, The Fridge and numerous venues I just don't recall. Elephant and Castle was visited/awoken in. Don't know what party we'd been to but positive it was a good one. 

The hours and footwork to attend these parties was immense. Equalled by the hours and footwork to acquire your consumables. It was full time work. In fact I sometimes wonder how myself and chums did it. No phones, no money, no internet and a car that had no air bags. (And a part time engine) 🤣

Now I could moan about how easy it all is in this modern world. The dark web for delivery of goods.  Organised festivals to numerous to mention . E mail alerts for these festivals so you don't even need a memory. And cars with airbags. 😃

Yep, it's not like the good old days. It's a fuck load easier and a fuck load safer. Quite useful when your getting "past it: 🤗 and I personally prefer the modern djs. My nephew keeps me bang up to date. And sorts out that interweb stuff. 😜

So whilst it's easier I do still hanker after a good old free party in a field. The laws are still wrong. Castlemorton anyone? 🤩

No i dont want to buy a book but cheers for bump. Good memories. 🤗

Edited by mashedonmud
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

shindig looking good for old school - as per

66BC70DD-C166-42B0-8300-2CFC7C07557E.jpeg

14 hours ago, Homer said:

shindig looking good for old school - as per

66BC70DD-C166-42B0-8300-2CFC7C07557E.jpeg

We last went in 2018, got soaked setting up the tent but the weekend was mad and the Tutti Frutti tent in particular with the Old Skool crowd. Couldn't go last year due to holidays and can't go this year due to a wedding. Very good times in there though and it looks like a great line up. 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, HattersBoy said:

We last went in 2018, got soaked setting up the tent but the weekend was mad and the Tutti Frutti tent in particular with the Old Skool crowd. Couldn't go last year due to holidays and can't go this year due to a wedding. Very good times in there though and it looks like a great line up. 

Have done  the last three and had a great time but was 50/50 on this one as getting old for this kind of thing. Move to new venue and that line-up has got me going again though! 

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Have done  the last three and had a great time but was 50/50 on this one as getting old for this kind of thing. Move to new venue and that line-up has got me going again though! 

We did 17/18 love it as just the right size in Bruton just slopes everywhere. I believe Altern 8 played and was a great set. This year looks good too, got a wedding though on a beach in devon which could get lively with an old skool crowd.