BBC Radio 1 - One Big Weekend, Derry/Londonderry 2013

Guest UEF

Kent is a county of its own, albeit bordering Greater London. And I agree with you, whether its actually in Greater London or not is kind of irrelevant to your point about the event going to that general area twice (twice in five years, not four).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good festivals need variety on each day for me. Of course R1 used to focus their Big Weekends into 'Dance Day' and 'Band Day' every year but for whatever reason they changed it and expanded it, putting the dance acts on that "outdoor stage", but this year by the looks of it they don't have room for an outdoor stage so they've compromised by adding another day on, and then having no dance for the rest of the weekend.

The whole thing seems a mess this year - they didn't know what they were doing with the line-up so announced it so late that they were so desperate to build up last minute hype for it that they haven't shut up about this weekend in a month. The main stage audience area looks absolutely tiny - what's that about? The 'second stage' seems to be in a warehouse?!

This thing has gone so far from it's roots it almost beggars belief. They need to forget about annually making it 'bigger than ever before' - although to be honest next year, unless they add in camping, i don't know where else they can go with it..

They need to just get it back to what it was before - B-list musicians playing to 10k over two tents (NOT FUCKING OUTDOOR STAGES, THIS ISN'T GLASTONBURY) in cities that don't get any attention otherwise. The whole point of the 'Big Weekend' concept was to take a huge event to a city that otherwise goes ignored - surely taking it to Hackney and Derry on the basis that "these places have huge events this year so we'll fit right in" in two successive years is a complete contradiction of the whole point of the festival?!

Having said all of the above, whatever they do to try and ruin the vibe of it, every year without fail it does seem to go off - they've just been replaying Rita Ora from last night and it sounded mental.

Edited by Bobinup

Bruno's 8 songs is the shortest set since Madonna in '08. Gaga did 12 songs.

Maybe my view has been clouded by the last couple of years (Jay-Z did 23 songs, Rihanna 17, Biffy did 15) but I did just feel totally disappointed. Mind you Radio 1 hardly mentioned his appearance all weekend so perhaps they didn't have particularly high hopes either.

Best: Macklemore - not to my taste musically but the way he captivated the crowd was astonishing. Also Biffy - again the music wasn't really my thing but you could tell the performance was quite sensational. And the crowd's reaction to The Script was unbelievable - even though I do like them as a band.

Most enjoyable: 30 Seconds To Mars - Jared Leto was hilarious. Also Little Mix, and to a lesser extent Jake Bugg.

Biggest surprise: Kodaline and Conor Maynard.

Disappointment: as I said, Bruno Mars. I hadn't realised how few hits he has - and he didn't even play all of them. Ellie Goulding - I don't mind her music but I found her performance dull. And Two Door Cinema Club seemed pretty flat - although the crowd probably didn't help.

Worst act: The Saturdays, unquestionably.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Ellies performances are usually dull but she has a great voice so I dont mind the lack of energy and moving. I thought TDCC were fairly good, not great though, and I really agree with Mackelmore. I would throw Rudimental in there too for best

They're not actually voting on whether to stay in Britain ;) They'll be part of Britain until they declare independent. However if they did, it would take a while, which means rather than the Big Weekend they could throw all the shit events at them, that nobody wants, to get back at them :lol: