BBC Radio 1 - One Big Weekend, Derry/Londonderry 2013

Guest UEF

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish they'd go back to the One Big Sunday style of events.

When the Big Weekend rolls around now, all you get is constant play of the artists performing and talk about the town it's going to be in. If you're not going to the event or don't live in that part of the country, it gets pretty monotonous and doesn't make for great listening.

If the One Big Sunday tour was to return, it could involve the entire country. It would get people a lot more involved with Radio 1 again and focus their activities across the country, as opposed to just one small town.

Of course, Scotland are due a Radio 1 event of some sort soon. We haven't had anything since the Big Weekend in 2006 (unless you count the week that Scott Mills and Nick Grimshaw have come to the Fringe over the last couple of years, but that isn't really a Radio 1 event as such, more just part of the BBC's Fringe output as a whole).

Hope the east coast gets something soon, because its where ill be for the next few years.

Most of the line up are at other fests yeah, but Dizzee Rascal was meant to be at KISS beach and that got cancelled so im holding out for him at V. The Line up isnt that bad really, alot of dance and pop music just what Radio 1 is mainly now :)

There is logic behind it. To many Radio 1 listeners, Leeds was synonymous with Chris Moyles. It currently seems like they're trying to erase him from the station's memory. He's never mentioned or referenced on air, when #teammoyles trended on Twitter instead of #teamgrimmy they dropped the entire #teamgrimmy campaign, his pages are no longer linked on the Radio 1 website. For them to hold a Radio 1 event in Leeds so soon after his departure will just seem odd. If they were going to do it, they would have done when he was the biggest DJ on the station.

Besides, the original premise of the One Big Sunday events (and then Big Weekends) were to take big stars to areas of the country that don't have an arena or don't have a music festival. Leeds currently hosts one of the biggest musical festivals in the country (of which Radio 1 sponsor a stage and have wide coverage of) so it most likely won't happen. To much the same, Glasgow is unlikely for 2014 too (unless they tie it into the Commonwealth Games).

Friday and Sunday tickets released this morning, Saturday tickets were dispatched today.

I'll be honest - I'm struggling to get into the idea of this. But then I thought the same about Hackney and ended up having a laugh of it.

Edited by UEF

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen much of it so far but was impressed by Maverick Sabre. Rudimental sound good from the replays on the radio this morning. Rita Ora sounded cool last night too - threw in a random cover of No Doubt at one point.

Calvin and Dizzee were letdowns for me. Dizzee was largely saved by the random appearance by Robbie, otherwise he kinda passed me by.

What about Devon/Cornwall. The closest it's ever got to us is Swindon, which is a good 2 and a half hours drive/160 miles away. There's plenty of places they could hold a massive event down here, but we never get a look in.

How have Londonderry managed to get it twice?