Checklist for Motorhome, Campervan and Caravan Dwellers

StoneCircle

I posted this in 2011 and people found it useful so here it is again. We caravan a lot so most of this stuff is always on board thankfully!!

Remove All Glass including jars etc

Check you have a full gas bottle and a spare and the spanner needed to swop over

Step

Levelling blocks

Spirit Level
Bedding, towels and facecloths
Cutlery, crockery, pans etc
Toilet and kitchen r
olls

Bin liners
Chemical stuff for onboard loo.
Washing up bowl, cloth and liquid
Clingfilm, foil etc
Hot water bottles

Music, iPod + speaker + adapters, inverters etc
Jack
Small toolkit
Gaffa tape
Clothes horse or line & pegs
Chairs
Windbreak + ground pegs
Awning, curtains, carpet & skirt
Doormat

Loose rugs or an old blanket that can be shaken to keep carpets clean, especially if hiring!
Bin
Wood Burner, wood and firelighters
Candles
BBQ + lighting fluid, charcoal and utensils
Little table for outside
Flags & pole not to be removed from campervan fields!!
Big torch + head torch
Solar battery chargers
Portable phone chargers
Power pack
Spare fully charged battery for motorhome/caravan
Batteries AA and AAA
Sun cream
Day bag
Cool bag
First Aid Kit,
Wipes and tissues

Solar fairy lights and light for awning (Ikea)

Solar showers and or Battery shower http://amzn.to/10TjAMP + 25 litre container

Trugs for water, foot baths and outdoor washing
Aquarolls (ready filled if possible as the water is awful in the campervan fields)

Funnel and pipe to fill onboard fresh water tanks
Spare phone batteries & car chargers

Clock
Pen

Radio
Rain Mac or poncho Please leave your umbrella at home the person behind you will be grateful
Wellies
Hat and gloves
Clothes & Shoes

Food and Drink

Freeze ice blocks night before to keep food cool in caravan fridge in case electrics malfunction whist travelling.

Ice tray or bags
Igloo – also needs chilling and a 5 or 7 litre ice cube making.
Alcohol (remember no glass bottles) + Limes
Milk, Water, Juice all can be frozen
Coffee, Tea, Coffeemate
Enough bacon and sausage to cook full breakfast daily, freeze them into daily sized packs.
Eggs
Take a massive chilli or curry freeze into smaller containers and use as ice blocks.
Sauces/Condiments
Crumpets
BBQ food if arriving Tuesday
Butter, cheese
Bread (If you have an oven buy long life part baked)
Cereal - milk and yogurt can be bought onsite
Tinned food - tomatoes, beans, hot dog sausages, soup etc
Spaghetti, rice
Olive Oil
Crisps and nibbles for midnight feasts

And yes I really do take all that!! :)

Edited by StoneCircle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey - that wouldn't all fit into our Bongo! Great list though thanks, though am a bit worried about the water in the CV field being awful - is it not recommended to drink it? Always drunk Gbury tap water fine no problems before.

This might be a stupid question but will the electrics in your caravan last for the whole time? I haven't quite got to grips with leisure batteries and all that as always stay at campsites and use the hook-ups so we've never had to think about relying on a battery before. Not sure if would be possible for 5 days without driving around? sorry - might be different with caravans.

We use this stuff in our water to make it safe, its about £7 for 10 sachets but we managed to get 2 boxes free at the NEC caravan show!

truma2.jpg

Description

For Sterilisation and Preservation

AquaStar 3 Uses active oxygen to inactivate bacteria and germs in your fresh water within just one hour to make it suitable for drinking and general use.

Pre-dosed for up to 500L.

• Uses silver ions to protect water against contamination, algae and bad smells for up to 6 months

Silver ions fill receptors in microorganism cells and block the metabolic processes that are essential for their survival. This renders the bacteria and germs harmless. If used regularly, the silver ions attach themselves to the container walls and prevent germ regrowth.

We have a 110ah leisure battery and a 100w solar panel which should keep it topped up nicely! You just have to be very cautious of what you have switched on, our fridge and water heating will be on the gas, so all the power we will need will be for lighting, water pump, toilet flush and phone charging!

Edited by mattw

Blimey - that wouldn't all fit into our Bongo! Great list though thanks, though am a bit worried about the water in the CV field being awful - is it not recommended to drink it? Always drunk Gbury tap water fine no problems before.

This might be a stupid question but will the electrics in your caravan last for the whole time? I haven't quite got to grips with leisure batteries and all that as always stay at campsites and use the hook-ups so we've never had to think about relying on a battery before. Not sure if would be possible for 5 days without driving around? sorry - might be different with caravans.

It is okay to drink but I prefer less chlorinated water in my brews! So as we only travel 5 miles to the site we fill up the water supply before we leave our overnight campsite.

We have 2 batteries as we prefer CL sites which rarely have hook up so are okay. We avoid using the water pump by have a smaller water container in the kitchen area. We also have a battery powered shower which we boil up a couple of kettles instead of using onboard one, which as we have an old van is pretty rubbish anyway.

Just be careful and you should be okay, bring a back up battery if you have one. :)

It is okay to drink but I prefer less chlorinated water in my brews! So as we only travel 5 miles to the site we fill up the water supply before we leave our overnight campsite.

We have 2 batteries as we prefer CL sites which rarely have hook up so are okay. We avoid using the water pump by have a smaller water container in the kitchen area. We also have a battery powered shower which we boil up a couple of kettles instead of using onboard one, which as we have an old van is pretty rubbish anyway.

Just be careful and you should be okay, bring a back up battery if you have one. :)

What size of battery do you recommend

Ours are both 113Ah Numax Leisure batteries as we have a motor mover. You would be okay with 75Ah but 90Ah and above is better. Or just a good car battery fully charged is handy as a back up. This is a handy guide to what power is used. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/your-leisure-battery/

Ours are both 113Ah Numax Leisure batteries as we have a motor mover. You would be okay with 75Ah but 90Ah and above is better. Or just a good car battery fully charged is handy as a back up. This is a handy guide to what power is used. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/your-leisure-battery/

thanks we have hired a 5 birth motorhome it comes with a full gas and the leisure battery but no spares or a solar charger so was worried about it lasting so might have a look on amazon for a spare battery it will only be really for lights and phone charges as will be buying a battery shower if we need to shower

thanks we have hired a 5 birth motorhome it comes with a full gas and the leisure battery but no spares or a solar charger so was worried about it lasting so might have a look on amazon for a spare battery it will only be really for lights and phone charges as will be buying a battery shower if we need to shower

Have you asked your rental company if you can hire an extra battery or a solar panel? It is a big expense to buy one.

Used a motorhome 3 times at glasto & never had a problem with the battery. 3 of us showered each day & only used minimal lights whenever we needed them & charged phones as & when we needed to. Ran the engine for about 20-30 mins on the Friday & Sunday just to top battery up.

Used a motorhome 3 times at glasto & never had a problem with the battery. 3 of us showered each day & only used minimal lights whenever we needed them & charged phones as & when we needed to. Ran the engine for about 20-30 mins on the Friday & Sunday just to top battery up.

Is there ever any issue with running the engine for a short period during the weekend? Whats the eitiquette? Seems sensible to keep the battery going - but the old reek of diesel cant be too pleasant...

Great list, which will remind me of stuff this year, cheers. My suggestion is a small spirit level to help with levelling the van. I forgot to use the blocks and wondered why I had water feed issues when I first got our van, but it was a bit hilly.

I found 1 leisure battery and 1 van battery were fine for the week, although we had washes then rinse-offs in the shower, which was more about not having to drain the grey water tank than saving electricity.

We also take noodles and snacks from places like Home Bargains and B&M Bargains. They can be added to stir fries, but also cooked in hot water and/or stock for a warm meal or snack. Ok, so I'm greedy!

We've found that our van battery and a leisure battery have lasted us fine but then we've only used lights etc as sparingly as possible to save on having to take a spare. Coming in a lowered VW means we need to travel as light as possible so we only take essentials. Running the engine for a bit is normally ok as long as your considerate as to what time of day you do it. There are normally plenty of people around with jump leads too if you get really stuck!

Great list, which will remind me of stuff this year, cheers. My suggestion is a small spirit level to help with levelling the van. I forgot to use the blocks and wondered why I had water feed issues when I first got our van, but it was a bit hilly.

Thanks for the reminder, I have added it. We have a little bullseye one bluetacked on the work top :)

Edited by StoneCircle

Helpful list.

I've got an old caravan which has been sitting on my drive since my last festival at the end of September so I'm also going to get it serviced before the start of this year's festival season.

I don't use the shower as I don't want to encourage damp or eat the leisure battery but I'm very grateful for the toilet facility.

We use lights sparingly and the fridge, cooker and heater (not that we'll need it this year) are all Calor.

Remove All Glass including jars etc

Do you remove drinks glasses? The glasto website says "Domestic items that will stay within the campervan are unlikely to be confiscated, however we would advise not to bring anything valuable just in case." I'm taking a hired van, don't want to take it back with no glasses because they've been confiscated!

Cheers

Do you remove drinks glasses? The glasto website says "Domestic items that will stay within the campervan are unlikely to be confiscated, however we would advise not to bring anything valuable just in case." I'm taking a hired van, don't want to take it back with no glasses because they've been confiscated!

Cheers

We always remove all glasses to be on the safe side and have been routinely checked by security on entry a couple of times. They have not been very thorough with us but I know once they find something they keep looking! Maybe you could leave them with who you hire from and buy a pick of plastic glasses?

It's easy for me as I take my own caravan and, therefore, all my own plates, cutlery, glasses etc. Over the years I've built up a collection of plastic glasses. Apart from anything else they're lighter.