Setlist-based Spotify playlist

Brave Sir Robin

The London Underground lineup is now on the Glastonbury 2016 playlist, beginning with Nicky Blackmarket, about 3/4 down.

That's Block9 completed (I'm not including the new Meat Rack area, unless anyone tells me there's someone great playing there). Blimey that was a chore. Most of these DJs don't play their own tracks regularly, so it takes ages to work out what they have played, and somewhat goes against the whole point of a 'setlist-based' playlist to include their tracks at all. If I do this again, next time I think it'll only include DJs who play their own material.

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Brave Sir Robin Thought I should pop in here and say thanks for the work that goes into the playlist. Big part of Glasto for me is the recon over the months prior. Sifting through the lineup, listening to playlists, reading recommendations on the forums to find something new and shiny, old and awesome or I just got lineup blind and completely missed something I love. This has lead to some awesome discoveries I wouldn't have otherwise gone and seen.

Your playlist has been a big contributor to me having a massive clashfinder list each year, so wanted to say thanks to you and the contributors to this thread.

1 hour ago, Evilmonkeydan said:

@Brave Sir Robin Thought I should pop in here and say thanks for the work that goes into the playlist. Big part of Glasto for me is the recon over the months prior. Sifting through the lineup, listening to playlists, reading recommendations on the forums to find something new and shiny, old and awesome or I just got lineup blind and completely missed something I love. This has lead to some awesome discoveries I wouldn't have otherwise gone and seen.

Your playlist has been a big contributor to me having a massive clashfinder list each year, so wanted to say thanks to you and the contributors to this thread.

Well said, my clashfinder had tons of alternatives last year based on listening to @Brave Sir Robin.  I only got to a fraction of them, but it meant when I found myself in an area of the site, there was always someone I wanted to see.

Cheers @Evilmonkeydan and @clarkete, good to hear - although sorry it leads to clashes! As Clarkete says, at least it means if you find yourself off plan you're more likely to find something else you've listened to and liked.

I've now added the Glade lineup, from Dubfire (I've left Carl Cox in position on the main poster for now) to Get Down Edits about 1/3 down, to the playlist. Seems very odd for them to have Sona Jobarteh as a lone world music act amongst a set of almost exclusively electronic dance acts.

Just want to add my voice to those appreciating your most excellent work Brave Sir R. Really enjoying this year's playlist immensely, and loving the new discoveries (Band of Skulls, Nothing But Thieves, just for starters today!). Thank you enormously, kind Sir!

10 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers @Evilmonkeydan and @clarkete, good to hear - although sorry it leads to clashes! As Clarkete says, at least it means if you find yourself off plan you're more likely to find something else you've listened to and liked.

I've now added the Glade lineup, from Dubfire (I've left Carl Cox in position on the main poster for now) to Get Down Edits about 1/3 down, to the playlist. Seems very odd for them to have Sona Jobarteh as a lone world music act amongst a set of almost exclusively electronic dance acts.

You get me wrong. I want a fat clashfinder, I've been going to glasto for too many years to know shit happens, you get distracted by some unexpected shiny a lot, wakeup broken from the night before and need a low tempo morning, the mud and the crowds mean you're never going to make it or you just want to take in the sites/sounds of glasto for the afternoon. I've obviously got key acts that are an absolute must, but for most of it, I like to keep it fluid. Less chance of disappointment more chance of random discoveries on the way.

One of my favorite discoveries courtesy of your playlist was Too Many Zoos last year, enjoyed a massive skank to those guys.

just want to say thanks for the great work put into this playlist Sir Robin, found a few new things that have potential

It does make you realise how much can sound very similar when you start from top to bottom!! if you like it that's great, but listening to some of the dance/DJ stuff does make me realise it's really not for me lol

Thanks @billum, @Evilmonkeydan and @shoptildrop, good to hear!

I've now added Shangri La, or rather, the top half of the Shangri La poster to the Glastonbury 2016 playlist, plus all the acts from the rest of the poster mentioned/recommended on the Shangri La thread on here. And a few we had already. About 3/4 of the way down, beginning with Mark Ronson and then in poster order ending with Cut Capers.

On 22/05/2016 at 10:14 AM, Evilmonkeydan said:

One of my favorite discoveries courtesy of your playlist was Too Many Zoos last year, enjoyed a massive skank to those guys.

Same! A little disappointed there's no-one in that vein on the Glade this year - although there's some good funky horn stuff in Shangri La to make up for it (and hopefully more to come on West Holts).

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Same! A little disappointed there's no-one in that vein on the Glade this year - although there's some good funky horn stuff in Shangri La to make up for it (and hopefully more to come on West Holts).

If that is the case, see the Apples! Saw them at least 5 or 6 years ago in a local venue, one of the best gigs I've been to, very fond memories of bouncing around like an egit to those guys. One of those act that, you worry about seeing them again as they might not live up to your previous experience or they've gone in a weird direction, need to catchup with the current stuff. Being on the hell stage, I am worried they are going to cause me a massive clash.

12 minutes ago, Evilmonkeydan said:

If that is the case, see the Apples! Saw them at least 5 or 6 years ago in a local venue, one of the best gigs I've been to, very fond memories of bouncing around like an egit to those guys. One of those act that, you worry about seeing them again as they might not live up to your previous experience or they've gone in a weird direction, need to catchup with the current stuff. Being on the hell stage, I am worried they are going to cause me a massive clash.

They were the main act I was thinking of!  I'm very much hoping they're on after midnight to reduce clash potential.

Some updates to the Glastonbury 2016 playlist prior to the full lineup:

• Added recent self-confirmations/TBCs/likelys Richard Ashcroft, Michael Kiwanuka, Tom Odell, Quantic, Human Pyramids, Anna Meredith, Rozi Plain, The Parrots, Smoove & Turrell, Victoria, Car Seat Headrest, and Bison (featuring eFests' own @RodimusPrime).

• Checked recent setlists for the main poster acts, quite a few changes to the selections there.

43 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Not sure what you mean?

I assume he means acts who's music is not available in Spotify. Got to be either very minor acts or the select few who hold their music off Spotify (which off the top of my head would be just Adele's latest album although the singles are on there)

5 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Not sure what you mean?

Was wondering if you mark off what you have/haven't found and therefore there would be a list of acts not on Spotify.

If it did exist when I've finnished trawling the playlist, might have a trawl of YouTube if I got a chance. Couple really nice acts I caught last were little unknowns, just starting out. Picked up as recommendations from a forum post.

Full West Holts lineup now in order on the Glastonbury 2016 playlist. Hadn't listened to The Very Best properly before, they're great, almost live up to their name. In fact Saturday in general is quite the party, building all the way up to ... James Blake :lol:

1 hour ago, Evilmonkeydan said:

Was wondering if you mark off what you have/haven't found and therefore there would be a list of acts not on Spotify.

If it did exist when I've finnished trawling the playlist, might have a trawl of YouTube if I got a chance. Couple really nice acts I caught last were little unknowns, just starting out. Picked up as recommendations from a forum post.

Ah I getcha. No, sorry, I don't keep a list, although if I did it would be very short. As @dooke10 says, there are very few acts not on Spotify these days, even among the smaller ones. If you mean those playing the smallest stages, bandstand etc, I don't try and cover them anymore. You can use Ctrl+F to search the playlist, to check if an act you want to try is on there. 

There are quite a few DJs who aren't on there, but that's because they don't produce their own stuff.

3 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Had this list on for a few hours now, really enjoying it. Nothing ready to be my new favourite or owt but equally nowt I've skipped in horror either. Bit concerned that I might be getting more out of touch, sometimes feel like I can't fit any more songs into my head.

Really, playing for hours and there's nothing you've skipped in horror? You've had a lucky run! Good to hear, cheers.