The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 4 May 2016 at 5:43 PM, SteveTLizard said:

Oh yes indeed, always handy having a "breakfast table" as a flat surface in ones tent, good work sir  ;)

We have a very neat little one that has fold out legs and fold away surface, similar to this: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331667168058?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006886&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-146652024786&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122&ff19=0 

Yep, also got one of them.  Very useful for putting the stove on when boiling the water for a cuppa

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Bought a poncho from the military surplus, now I'm getting all targeted ads trying to sell me other military surplus stuff. Pop ups like "wanna buy a warhead m8?", no, I just wanted a poncho.

AK47 for the weekend Sir...

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

Sorry MJ, just love the phrase 'comfort bottle' - sounds even more unsavoury than the purpose you're intending!

On 08/05/2016 at 2:55 PM, MilkyJoe said:

First year at Glastonbury I tried this. Washed the bottle out before we went numerous times.... Still ended up drinking soap tasting vodka all week.

12 minutes ago, GizzaBevy said:

First year at Glastonbury I tried this. Washed the bottle out before we went numerous times.... Still ended up drinking soap tasting vodka all week.

Your use sounds a lot more wholesome than what they're thinking of ;) 

I've been seriously thinking about getting an Exped SynMat sleeping mat....justifying the cost to myself that over 11 festival nights, it's about £9 per night for a really comfy sleep. Has anyone else got one and if so, are they as comfy as some of the reviews I've read?

@Keithy Not quite the same but i have a couple of thermarest neoairs which are pretty much the same idea but without the built in pump. Definitely worth the money to my mind, more comfortable (and warmer) than traditional air mattresses and pakckup small and light - got around 50 nights on my main one and it's still going strong, less than a couple of quid a night for a great sleep.

8 hours ago, GizzaBevy said:

Not sure you fully understood that post. The Comfort/Lenor bottles make ideal tent toilets for the middle of the night when you really can't face a walk to the long drops! The big ones are even suitable for females although it may be worth a couple of practice runs before you go! 

Shaun.

2 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Not sure you fully understood that post. The Comfort/Lenor bottles make ideal tent toilets for the middle of the night when you really can't face a walk to the long drops! The big ones are even suitable for females although it may be worth a couple of practice runs before you go! 

Shaun.

I did try to put it  more discreetly for someone who hasn't visited a lot ;-)

I was vaguely watching This Morning on ITV earlier while browsing these forums when they did a feature on camping stuff which amused me greatly. Most of the stuff was wildly expensive, if not stupidly unnecessary, but there were a couple of minor items which looked useful - fluorescent guy ropes ,and solar powered showers which have dropped in price hugely since I last bought one for a friend a few years ago.  

Anyway, if you can bear Holly Willoughby's squealing - here it is:

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics/the-coolest-camping-gadgets-tested-by-steve-will song