lazzareo

The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

1 hour ago, stixmcvix said:

If anyone could recommend a day bag which is largely pickpocket-proof and large enough for all a lady's essentials, I'd be very grateful

hidesignbag2.jpg

2 hours ago, stixmcvix said:

If anyone could recommend a day bag which is largely pickpocket-proof and large enough for all a lady's essentials, I'd be very grateful

You could get any day bag that has two zips, and use a small, number combination luggage padlock.

I just use a small across-the-body bag for cash, phone, tissues and whatever.  I clip the zip to the ring that holds the strap with a fiddly carabiner thing and at night I wear it short so it sits tight against me under my hoody.  Cans, waterproofs, binbags and assorted crap goes in the easily stealable-from flimsy daypack on my back.  I'm pretty sure I've had that rifled at least once but it's like a mini version of my tent in there.  A valueless midden.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stixmcvix said:

I go for a small rucksack with camelback  plus a bumbag for money/cameraphone/shewee

On 8 March 2016 at 4:35 AM, thatcrazypenguin said:

Thats just it Id rather not have the risk/hassle of potentially being told I had to split my stuff down to fit. Esp when i travel solo so cant carry much.

So why exactly was this downvoted?? 

On 18 March 2016 at 3:24 PM, stixmcvix said:

I got one of these for a walking holiday.  Easily carried a fleece, kagool, big bottle of water, camera, purse, phone, wipes, sunglasses, keys and other (smallish) stuff that I can't remember.  Lots of pockets - handy as long as you remember what you've put in which one!  Main part of the bag is completely secure as the zip is against the body.  Really comfy to carry too - the strap is padded and seems to be non-slip.  At 60 quid it's a bit expensive but if you happen to know someone (or could PM someone ;)) who has bought one before you can get it in this somewhat strange green/yellow colour for 30 - lots of other colours if you're prepared to pay full-price.  

44215-GG-2.jpg?itok=VQpB4shK

Edited by mandolin
Thought the website would come up when I posted the picture. If you're happy to pay full price you can get it from Healthy Back Bags, though I think Amazon have some too. Don't forget to go through this site if buying from Amazon. :)

I'm a bumbag convert.  The use the Glastonbury free bag for cans and etc.  Scrunches up into said bun bag for raving. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/03/2016 at 3:24 PM, stixmcvix said:

Safety pins make for a great pickpocket protection.  Ideal for cargo short pockets as much as bags.

I always  keep my mobile attatched to some kind of lanyard , and through a belt loop . I think Avon and Somerset police have handed these out in the past !!

18 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

20kgs!!! I'm out. If I was getting something that heavy I'd be getting a Bell Tent. 

Yeah me too, thought i'd share it on the off chance some gargantuan strong man/woman was in the market for big tent. ;-)

15 hours ago, Peroni said:

I'm a bumbag convert.  The use the Glastonbury free bag for cans and etc.  Scrunches up into said bun bag for raving. 

where do you get bun bags ? ;) and how many buns do they hold?  

yum

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cornish hick said:

where do you get bun bags ? ;) and how many buns do they hold?  

yum

The bakery give them out, but you've got to get there really early or you've got no chance

On 3/20/2016 at 1:41 PM, Spindles said:

Safety pins make for a great pickpocket protection.  Ideal for cargo short pockets as much as bags.

Sorry, being an idiot here, but how so?

On 3/20/2016 at 6:42 AM, Peroni said:

You young lady, are a genius. This sounds ideal!!

Just now, stixmcvix said:

Sorry, being an idiot here, but how so?

If you've got a flap on your pocket a couple of strategically placed safety pins make it much harder to access than just popping a button.

Big up to the bum bags! I have my backpack for blanket, booze and jacket and the bum bag for all important bits and pieces, phone,money etc 

On 20/03/2016 at 6:42 AM, Peroni said:

I like the sound of this too... although bum bags definitely look more stupid on blokes I'll be past caring by about 2pm Wednesday.

12 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

One tip I use is that if your daybag is a small rucksack like mine is, when your in any large crowd wear it on your front, still comfy if you adjust the straps to fit and you can keep an eye on it....Also makes a great buffer like a pillow if theres a crowd surge and people push back into you haha

It's also friendly to us "short arses", a bag swung in the face is never fun.!

The use of a daybag as a buffer rather than an unseen lump that swings around bumping into people is definitely a part of festival etiquette that people benefit from.

Last year I couldn't find my satchel in the run up to the festival so I used a yeo valley bag for the first couple of days and then got a guardian bag, both of which did the job well without offering any kind of security so not holding anything more than drinks, suncream and poncho.