The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Thinking about one of these little folding chairs to chuck in the bag with the beers, only £4.85 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDING-POCKET-CHAIR-SEAT-STRONG-PORTABLE-OUTDOOR-FISHING-CAMPING-GARDEN-/271134570400?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Anyone got any experience of these?

These were in B&M last year for £3, we got a couple. They're ok, maybe a bit unsteady for those with a larger derrière! Wouldn't want to sit on them for any length of time, but ok for resting legs for a short while. Found them as heavy to carry as a normal camping chair too, though obviously more compact.

• Upvote 1

Anyone got,or used one of these solar powered/ wind up radios? Are they any good? Was thinking it would be a great device, especially for charging mobile phones etc? http:///1dM9iXM

Pretty much all solar/crank phone chargers are absolute bobbins, even when they do work they take far too long.

You're better off with a portable battery pack like one of these

I got one last year and got about 4 full iPhone charges off it, and it charges almost as fast as a real power outlet (and faster than the chill & charge tent)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but what about when you're at Glastonbury. :)

I guess I asked for that. :yes:

At Glastonbury, or just on a weekly basis????

I think I asked for that too.

You can borrow it if you care to pop over.

That's very kind of you to offer. I would do but I know that I suffer total inertia in the cleansing oneself department when at Glastonbury.

That's very kind of you to offer. I would do but I know that I suffer total inertia in the cleansing oneself department when at Glastonbury.

If last year is anything to go by, I could probably offer a laundry service. I was, er, tired and emotional when I tried to walk over the railway line up to the Park on the Thursday night when it was muddy underfoot on the slope. Idiot that I was, I had a new pale sweatshirt on. I can verify that Glastonbury mud washes out. My OCD wouldn't let me leave it till I got back home.

If last year is anything to go by, I could probably offer a laundry service. I was, er, tired and emotional when I tried to walk over the railway line up to the Park on the Thursday night when it was muddy underfoot on the slope. Idiot that I was, I had a new pale sweatshirt on. I can verify that Glastonbury mud washes out. My OCD wouldn't let me leave it till I got back home.

It's true, washing lines, tumbler, twin tub.....

Most overequipped camper van you've ever seen!

It's true, washing lines, tumbler, twin tub.....

Most overequipped camper van you've ever seen!

Not forgetting the cocktail cabinet.

Aldi are selling upright trolleys again this Thursday, although I still don't think it folds up.

I felt like a million dollars after washing my head under a collapsable water bottle every morning last year.

If it makes you feel better and lets you get on with your day, do it.

I might try washing this year. I can see the benefits alright. I'll not have to go around with a bell shouting ' unclean, unclean' for a starter.

i always use water proof socks and for xmas .........i hate xmas .......my daughter got me some seal skin ones top of the range old sons

I bought (much to my friends hilarity) seal skin socks for taking to the festival last eyar, yeah they were expensive, and yes, i didnt need to use them in the end up, but i was still glad i had them just in case:-)

Funny you should mention that :P I'm quite possibly going to need an additional small light-duty tent this year so had been watching this one slowly drop in £5 increments from the original £30. Was tempted several times at £15 when I happened to be buying something else but decided I could wait until it was under a tenner seeing as I didn't definitely need one ! However, when it got to £11 delivered to within a few 100m of my front door the other night it would have been bl**dy rude not to have provided one with a new home and I've just got around to picking it up :lol:

Listed @ £40 by Gelert in 2012/13 and to all intents and purposes identical to the current Rocky 2 listed @ £65. Not exactly the best of specs needless to say, esp as it's only 1500 HH, but it's a double skin jobbie with taped seams and very easily reproofed if needs be. At a quicky looky see it appears to be remarkably well made given the silly price. There's yet another monsoon apparently coming up real soon so I might just have to find somewhere to give it an unaccompanied test drive to establish whether I now have a shiny new li'l tent just in case I do need one ... or a not quite so useful covered paddling pool instead ! Watch this space and all that ...

Edited by mikeb

Funny you should mention that :P I'm quite possibly going to need an additional small light-duty tent this year so had been watching this one slowly drop in £5 increments from the original £30. Was tempted several times at £15 when I happened to be buying something else but decided I could wait until it was under a tenner seeing as I didn't definitely need one ! However, when it got to £11 delivered to within a few 100m of my front door the other night it would have been bl**dy rude not to have provided one with a new home and I've just got around to picking it up :lol:

Listed @ £40 by Gelert in 2012/13 and to all intents and purposes identical to the current Rocky 2 listed @ £65. Not exactly the best of specs needless to say, esp as it's only 1500 HH, but it's a double skin jobbie with taped seams and very easily reproofed if needs be. At a quicky looky see it appears to be remarkably well made given the silly price. There's yet another monsoon apparently coming up real soon so I might just have to find somewhere to give it an unaccompanied test drive to establish whether I now have a shiny new li'l tent just in case I do need one ... or a not quite so useful covered paddling pool instead ! Watch this space and all that ...

I'm not sure I'd like to play poker with you. You took that purchase right to the edge. Nice one.

Still haven't bought us a tent yet which is guess is pretty important, I think I'm using this one as a marker, one to beat sort of thing. Does anyone have any comments on whether this is a good buy or should I keep looking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Lunar-4-Man-Family-Tent-NEW-FAST-DISPATCH-/370994809532?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item5661038abc

Still haven't bought us a tent yet which is guess is pretty important, I think I'm using this one as a marker, one to beat sort of thing. Does anyone have any comments on whether this is a good buy or should I keep looking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Lunar-4-Man-Family-Tent-NEW-FAST-DISPATCH-/370994809532?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item5661038abc

We got a three man Gelert quite similar to that from ebay and it was pretty good. Easy to pitch and was more compact and lighter than my old 2 man eurohike.

It doesn't mention being double skinned in the specification. I've noticed a few people on here say that this is important. Personally I'd say it is because of condensation issues. Hydrostatic head maybe an issue or may not - other people could chip in on this one.

Anyway, if you are going for it, here it is much cheaper again;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Lunar-4-Man-Tent-BRAND-NEW-EX-DISPLAY-MODEL-/400650668551