Jump to content

The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...


The Other Steve

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, e9t3 said:

This arrived today, 5L water carrier bag thing. £3.89 so I imagine it'll break carrying it back to the tent.

IMG_20220425_181433.jpg

I presume this is in place of a Lenor bottle for when you're extra hydrated? Do they sell one with a larger opening?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually bought this last year, but I figure it's worth mentioning as one of my favourite festival bits:

Nitecore Tini 2 torch - Ridiculously small and lightweight, Extremely bright, and USB-C rechargeable. The only bad part is it costs a bit more than most people would want to pay for something like this, but I reckon it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-TINI-Keyring-Torch-Rechargeable/dp/B078RPN124

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, broken monkey said:

Does Decathlon have any discount codes or have any regular sales that anyone's aware of? Have a bunch of things to buy from there and would hate to see it all discounted soon after I buy it all. Ta.

No, they don't tend to run sales on active lines at all.

Usually if something is discounted, it means that it's being discontinued. For tents that usually means a handful of models may be discounted towards the end of the Summer or in the Autumn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some corporate reward portals might offer Decathlon/Go Outdoors/Blacks etc instant vouchers or a % off clicking a link. I can get 6% off using an instant voucher through my works portal. Also worth checking if any friends have a Blue Light card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, am00 said:

Any tips/advice on an air mattress or self inflating mattress that packs up *very* compact?

Flying over (with ryanair) so need to minimise luggage! 

Probably be cheaper buying one when you arrive rather than pay the massive charges that Ryanair and easyjet add for hold luggage!  Can’t remember if they are still available to buy and inflate on site. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, am00 said:

Any tips/advice on an air mattress or self inflating mattress that packs up *very* compact?

Flying over (with ryanair) so need to minimise luggage! 

When we flew over in 2017, we bought an air mattress when we arrived and then neatly packed in back in to the box and donated to charity before we flew back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

When we flew over in 2017, we bought an air mattress when we arrived and then neatly packed in back in to the box and donated to charity before we flew back.

Thanks! I think this is best option. Did you buy on site? We are arriving Thurs and getting coach so no time for shopping in Bristol !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes the camping shop sells them for ~£20

3 hours ago, am00 said:

Thanks! I think this is best option. Did you buy on site? We are arriving Thurs and getting coach so no time for shopping in Bristol !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, am00 said:

I've just seen in the 2019 information for WV they rent them also, so hopefully that's there again this year and I'm staying with them! 

Where did you see that out of interest?

I've seen such information for older festivals, but don't think I've seen it mentioned that recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, am00 said:

Any tips/advice on an air mattress or self inflating mattress that packs up *very* compact?

Flying over (with ryanair) so need to minimise luggage! 

I've got a self inflating one similar to this. Mine packs into a fairly small bag when deflated and I carried it to a festival in my cabin size rucksack with everything else  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQSHC39/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_BYVM2F3309W9EDQCF2Q8

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

Where did you see that out of interest?

I've seen such information for older festivals, but don't think I've seen it mentioned that recently.

 

Screenshot_2022-04-27-07-43-04-527_com.facebook.katana.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I've got a self inflating one similar to this. Mine packs into a fairly small bag when deflated and I carried it to a festival in my cabin size rucksack with everything else  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQSHC39/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_BYVM2F3309W9EDQCF2Q8

 

 

 

 

I like the look of this, comfy too? looks it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Perks said:

I like the look of this, comfy too? looks it

I can't speak for the one on that link but there's quite a few similar ones on Amazon. Mine is more comfy than a sleeping mat and sturdier than an air bed, doesn't seem to deflate in the heat the same way

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

I very much doubt you can buy pillows.

A top tip is to stuff your sleeping bag stuff-sack with soft clothes (down jacket being the optimum in comfort) and use in combination with your inflatable pillow.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I can't speak for the one on that link but there's quite a few similar ones on Amazon. Mine is more comfy than a sleeping mat and sturdier than an air bed, doesn't seem to deflate in the heat the same way

thanks, that's exactly what i'm after, my back isn't as young as it used to be!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I very much doubt you can buy pillows.

A top tip is to stuff your sleeping bag stuff-sack with soft clothes (down jacket being the optimum in comfort) and use in combination with your inflatable pillow.

In one of the vlogs I was watching this week, someone had bought a couple of pillows on site. I think it was Barbster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

I got one on site in 2015

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...