The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Batiste are running an offer at the minute for a FREE* <---- can of dry shampoo.

The catch is you have to buy it first and send them your reciept, they'll send you a cheque covering the cost of the product (up to £4.99) your postage (up to £2.60).

A lot of effort, yes, but I've seen people on here wanting to do Glasto on a mega budget or for free, so this could be of use! Here's a link to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/batistedryshampoopage/app_357049577745207

• Upvote 1

Batiste are running an offer at the minute for a FREE* <---- can of dry shampoo.

The catch is you have to buy it first and send them your reciept, they'll send you a cheque covering the cost of the product (up to £4.99) your postage (up to £2.60).

A lot of effort, yes, but I've seen people on here wanting to do Glasto on a mega budget or for free, so this could be of use! Here's a link to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/batistedryshampoopage/app_357049577745207

Thanks, was going to buy some of this anyway, great freebie :)

• Upvote 1

Anyone seen a decent light weight torch anywhere?

After various failures I switched to Fenix and they are very good for the price.

Try

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-e05-r4.html

It's barely bigger than the AAA cell that powers it, but brighter than my old D-cell Maglite. It fits, inconspicuously, on a key-ring.

They do brighter torches.

Tesco last night had 15L water carriers for £3.99, and as well as the 'normal' £3.60 camping chairs they had 'Value' camping chairs for £2.60! Also folding tripod stools for £1.80 (think this may have already been mentioned).

Oh, they also have battery operated air pumps on offer at £5.45 (I think, might be a few pence either way) that take 4 x 'D' cell batteries and would probably take up less space than a foot pump (but might be a bit heavier including the batteries).

Poundland have 10L carriers.... For a pound :-D

What do you fill it with tho???

Fill it with vodka at the tent, buy lemonade from an ice cream van whilst out and about and fill it up to make vodka lemonade.

The only problem is though, because its got a straw attached, you constantly have it in your mouth and end up drunk really quickly, early on.

Edited by Opal Fruits

Fill it with vodka at the tent, buy lemonade from an ice cream van whilst out and about and fill it up to make vodka lemonade.

The only problem is though, because its got a straw attached, you constantly have it in your mouth and end up drunk really quickly, early on.

Yep this was my downfall in 2011, you really don't realise how much you're drinking, led to a rather interesting Saturday night... They are brilliant though, and am planning on taking one this year. Just going to be a bit more careful with how much vodka I put in!

Got a Bain camelbak from eBay this year, but had a tesco one in the past which was great. They seem to have discontinued the one I had, but this is similar and a bargain with the bag and bladder. http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydration-rucksack-6l/215-1572.prd?recommendationId=539bd426-9d5c-4c15-92a2-e867e84771f8.0&skuId=215-1572

I've decided to (belatedly) make the move from wellies to walking boots and gaiters this year.

I've also decided to go for this option and have my mind pretty much set on a pair of these:

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-0-0-cat-21-brand-1412-Salomon_Cosmic_4D_2_GTX.aspx#prettyPhoto

Before I dive in head first I was wondering if anyone might have any experience of these, or knows where I can get them for less than £130 in the Spring Green colour as shown in the link above please ?

What's the capacity like for fitting a few other things in? Maybe like sun cream, a hoody maybe? Could you fill it with beer or cider?

Depends what one you go for. Certainly the tesco one had plenty of room for other stuff. Usually they have them in store if you wanted to check them out.

As for filling with beer or cider, definitely! My mates were actually getting the bar staff to put their pints straight into the bladder for them. Would just avoid anything too fizzy as otherwise clan imagine it going everywhere when you open the valve on the straw bit after walking around for a while!

I've also decided to go for this option and have my mind pretty much set on a pair of these:

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-0-0-cat-21-brand-1412-Salomon_Cosmic_4D_2_GTX.aspx#prettyPhoto

Before I dive in head first I was wondering if anyone might have any experience of these, or knows where I can get them for less than £130 in the Spring Green colour as shown in the link above please ?

I had several, different, Saloman boots and shoes in the late 90s; they were OK, but not very hard wearing. I replaced the walking boots with Meindls and have never thought to go back as they are just better.

Meindl do a boot that is similar to the Saloman

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-mens-respond-mid-xcr-boot-32110295?id_colour=123

but I've not tried them. I have tried various other Meindl boots and shoes and would recommend them all.

Personally, I wouldn't buy boots on-line, but would want to try them on. Good shops will even let you wear them at home for a couple of weeks before you commit.

Edited by James Bolivar

I had several, different, Saloman boots and shoes in the late 90s; they were OK, but not very hard wearing. I replaced the walking boots with Meindls and have never thought to go back as they are just better.

Meindl do a boot that is similar to the Saloman

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-mens-respond-mid-xcr-boot-32110295?id_colour=123

but I've not tried them. I have tried various other Meindl boots and shoes and would recommend them all.

Personally, I wouldn't buy boots on-line, but would want to try them on. Good shops will even let you wear them at home for a couple of weeks before you commit.

Thanks for the good advice. My main reasons for going for Salomon are that I had some trail shoes from them that were a really good fit so I guess I'm sticking with what I know, and also most of the reviews I've read for the Cosmic 4D 2 and its predecessor are very positive. I don't do much other walking that would warrant spending this much money on a pair of boots, but I've had trouble with my feet in the past and my first 3 Glastonburys were affected by foot problems to varying degrees, so I will consider it money well spent if they keep my feet trouble-free in future.

My plan was to go into town and try a pair on to confirm they are suitable once I've made my mind up, but I will certainly give the Meindl boots a try if it doesn't work out.

Tesco's sale on camping & outdoors stuff ends tomorrow. The sale includes:

Folding Chair £3.60*

Tripod Stool £1.80*

Single Value Air Bed £3

Double Value Air Bed £6

45L Rucksack £12

65L Rucksack £19.50

6L Hydration Rucksack £8.25

2L Hydration Bladder with hose and bite valve £5.98

And of course lots of different models of tents

* marks those out of stock on Tesco Direct but they may still be available in store. For everything else if you can't make it to a Tesco this weekend or your local one is out of stock, you can always buy them at the sale prices on Tesco Direct today and use the free 'Click And Collect' delivery option to pick them up later in the week.