The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Trying to think positive about the weather and am looking around for a pair of walking boots.

Came across these which seem like a good bargain http://www.trespass.co.uk/mens-tiesto-01788

I don't know much about walking boots though and will probably never wear them again (till 2014) but are these any good for a weekend?

I'd guess that they will make your feet sweat - which in turn could cause chafing and blisters. It's because they claim to be waterproof (easy enough to do) and breathable (which is not), but do not mention the fabric. In the world of breathable, waterproof fabrics there is really only GoreTex and eVent, but these are expensive. The cheap, breathable, fabrics retain ten times the moisture of GoreTex (but they are still, technically, breathable).

Whatever you do, try them on before you buy.

Just had an email from field and trek telling me about special offers and I noticed these:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-mrno-wlk-1pk-10-414067

£1 down from £9.99 seems like a good deal for walking socks but knowing nothing about them (only what i've read on here) does anyone know if they would be any good?

There are other offers on there too that might be worth a look.

Tescos are selling three man tents for £18 a pop. Really only big enough for two adults though. Quite well reviewed and cheap as those fried potato thingies. They also had little stool thingies for a bout a couple of quids and other camping nonsense.

Incidentally, I need to customise/personalise my tent. I suspect there my be few boggo Tesco jobbies at Glasto. Paint?

Picked up my argos proaction Rucksack at the weekend as planned! :).

It's ok! I like the zip all the away down the side, will be a lot easier to play tetris with all my gear and it feels a bit comfortable than my other one. Only bad point, my other bag is full of compartments which was useful! but this one lacks them sadly! (Apart from the weird drawstring top one?!)

It's ok! I like the zip all the away down the side, will be a lot easier to play tetris with all my gear and it feels a bit comfortable than my other one. Only bad point, my other bag is full of compartments which was useful! but this one lacks them sadly! (Apart from the weird drawstring top one?!)

Just bought this in funky red the same time as you after seeing it on here. Yet to open the packet but it looks big enough to hold my five year old

i'm assuming you're both talking about the £17.19 one? i bought a hold-all (for some reason) for festivals last year and it was a right pain in the arse so thinking of getting myself a rucksack so would like to hear if this one's a good'un (gotta be a tad suspicious of that ridiculously low price)

See what you mean about the weird draw string thingy. maybe holds a very compressed sleeping bag :-/

i'm assuming you're both talking about the £17.19 one? i bought a hold-all (for some reason) for festivals last year and it was a right pain in the arse so thinking of getting myself a rucksack so would like to hear if this one's a good'un (gotta be a tad suspicious of that ridiculously low price)

I bought one of these last week and I think it's amazing value for the price. The extra drawstring at the top is an extension for the extra 10 litres (you'll note the label at the bottom of the rucksack that says '90+10'), so if you don't need the extra 10 litres you just tie off at the first drawstring for 90 litres, but if you take the kitchen sink, like I do, you can keep on filling past the 1st string and tie off at the second one for 100 litres.

I really can't see anybody being disappointed with this for £17, the only problem I can see is that some people might think it's too big!

Edited by BA4 4BY

I bought one of these last week and I think it's amazing value for the price. The extra drawstring at the top is an extension for the extra 10 litres (you'll note the label at the bottom of the rucksack that says '90+10', so if you don't need the extra 10 litres you just tie off at the first drawstring for 90 litres, but if you take the kitchen sink, like I do, you can keep on filling past the 1st string and tie off at the second one for 100 litres.

I really can't see anybody being disappointed with this for £17, the only problem I can see is that some people might think it's too big!

nice one! i'm known for overpacking so i'm sure i'll make good use of all that space. was wondering what the 90 + 10 thing meant so thanks for explaining that also. will definitely be purchasing. really can't argue with that price

Yeah its a good size bag but I miss not having a couple of extra side pockets just to seperate certain bits and pieces. Odd how the top section seems like it detaches.

Ah that explains the top bit then! I was thinking I might just be able to fit my sleeping pod in there, and put an extra cover over as it's at the top!.

It's plenty big enough for most people I'd imagine! and feels comfortable enough for the money your paying!!! Like I said it'd be nice if had a few more little pockets but that thats not a real concern I don't think!

i've used a holdall for the past 3 years, i finally lost my shit at leeds last year though. every 2nd step it rolled onto it's side. Never been so stressed in my life so i vowed to never use one again hahaha

Edited by sirignano

Nothing too exciting but the usual pre-Glasto Aldi camping/outdoors specials coming up this Sunday: Clicky Ye Here

Definitely a shiny new self-inflating mat coming to a rucksack near me seeing as the one I bought for <£10 in 2002 only expecting it to last for a couple of years at best finally gave up the ghost at the end of August last year. Slightly different design and a li'l more do$h but hopefully will be just as good as the previous one :)

Edited by mikeb