The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

18 minutes ago, BrighterNow said:

Can anyone recommend a women's waterproof jacket?  (Not that it's going to rain, of course...)  I've got a cheap showerproof poncho thing, but want something that will be able to cope with heavy rain.  The ones I've seen are either very expensive or have reviews saying they're not actually rain-proof!  So any recommendations would be great.

Honestly I think you're best off going with something that slips over whatever regular jacket you normally wear - obviously the cheapest ponchos aren't much more than a glorified sheet, but there's some good options out there. Some of the army spec ponchos are supposed to be pretty good - or if you want something a bit more fitted, personally I use one of these and find it pretty effective.

32 minutes ago, BrighterNow said:

Can anyone recommend a women's waterproof jacket?  (Not that it's going to rain, of course...)  I've got a cheap showerproof poncho thing, but want something that will be able to cope with heavy rain.  The ones I've seen are either very expensive or have reviews saying they're not actually rain-proof!  So any recommendations would be great.

If you can find an army surplus store near you, have a look now, while there is still plenty of time to decide.  Sturdy ponchos are really practical and you can have a bag underneath, keeping all your stuff dry.  They can also double up a large blanket to sit on if the ground is wet, as they often have poppers holding them together.

Thanks everyone!  Perhaps my cheap Primark poncho bought for a festival two years ago will be ok after all then?  Good point about being able to keep a bag underneath it, too.  As suggested, I might also look at getting a better poncho - including the one in the efests shop!  Right, off to have a look now...

On 4/8/2016 at 5:51 PM, Respectfatfrog said:

http://m.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/165217-eurohike-pop-400-ds-tent.html have a look at this its a 4 man pop up reduced to 50 from 100

I have the 2 man version of this from last year, although some friends had a large teepee in case there was an emergency. I used it this weekend and everything got soaked and it was freezing. Not sure if this one is double skinned but purchasing a new one is now a must for me.  I'm looking at this one

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/203354-vango-alpha-300-3-man-dome-tent.html 

3 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

I have the 2 man version of this from last year, although some friends had a large teepee in case there was an emergency. I used it this weekend and everything got soaked and it was freezing. Not sure if this one is double skinned but purchasing a new one is now a must for me.  I'm looking at this one

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/203354-vango-alpha-300-3-man-dome-tent.html 

OH ffs and im past my 14 day money back period will just have to hope its ok it is dual skinned

It was completely fine last year but didn;t manage the night in North Yorkshire. 

Disclaimer though I did push all my clean clothes up against the wall in my intoxicated state and woke up with 1 arm our the tent (see get fit thread, weightloss is affecting alcohol tolerance). I just don't want to risk 5 days at the festival if its a bit damp-it's going to be a scorcher though

On 11/04/2016 at 1:35 PM, incident said:

Honestly I think you're best off going with something that slips over whatever regular jacket you normally wear - obviously the cheapest ponchos aren't much more than a glorified sheet, but there's some good options out there. Some of the army spec ponchos are supposed to be pretty good - or if you want something a bit more fitted, personally I use one of these and find it pretty effective.

I buy ponchos from Decathlon, cover everything and cope with nearly all weather conditions!! the only time felt a bit wet was during downpour during Kodaline in 2014

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-100-hiking-poncho-blue-id_8084715.html

On 11 April 2016 at 1:06 PM, BrighterNow said:

I got a great waterproof fleece-lined jacket from regatta outlet last year. Was only about £30. http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk

On 4/11/2016 at 1:06 PM, BrighterNow said:

Me and my friend got stuck in the really bad rain last year watching Alabama Shakes, I had a poncho I just slipped straight over myself and she put her raincoat on... Basically, the end result was that the whole of me including my rucksack was bone dry and everything of hers was piss wet through. I just took a pack a mac and plenty of ponchos last year and have done at other festivals, seems to work a treat.

I'm a bit of an outdoors type and unless you've got a very expensive rain jacket it will eventually get through, but you won't sweat too much. A plastic poncho will theoretically keep you dry forever but you'll sweat if moving without any airflow. 

If its hissing it down all day,  you're not staying dry whatever so go for summat that keeps you warm even if wet, so layer up. Last two Kendals were wet and pretty cold, being in the Lakes. I wore a good thermal base layer on legs and arms, with waterproof trousers and walking gear, topped off with a goretex jacket. It got through eventually, but I was never cold. 

All that said, this will be my 9th Glasto and I've never done a fully wet one though 89 & 90 were a bit sticky underfoot, so I'm your lucky weather mascot 

Edited by Flysheet

3 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

I'm a bit of an outdoors type and unless you've got a very expensive rain jacket it will eventually get through, but you won't sweat too much. A plastic poncho will theoretically keep you dry forever but you'll sweat if moving without any airflow. 

If its hissing it down all day,  you're not staying dry whatever so go for summat that keeps you warm even if wet, so layer up

The ones with poppers down the sides work quite well for ventilation because obviously there's room for airflow. The glorified dry cleaning bags you can get two for a quid are pretty rubbish all round IMHO - you get the condensation problem, they're too short so end up depositing all the water in your lap, hoods won't stay up walking into any kind of rain and are just too flimsy. Only any good for stuffing in your pocket for the briefest of showers.

If anyone is considering picking up a poncho at the festival, choose one that you can see out of the packet. A mate bought one for a fiver a couple of years ago and it lasted literally minutes before shredding itself, something that I saw others suffering with.

In 2014 I was wearing one of those ponchos that only cost a couple of quid over a not-waterproof coat whilst watching youngsters in small or absorbant clothing have a shimmie in the rain to Craig Charles at Arcadia.  

I was sat on a stool,  so just pulled it over and around me so it worked a treat.   I don't perspire much. 

On 11 April 2016 at 1:06 PM, BrighterNow said:

I've had this for a few years. Served me well. Got it for £1.99.  It's one of those ones that folds up in to the pocket to make a wee bag also, so doesn't take up room in your bag. Pretty thin though. Says mens but it's definitely unisex  

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-blue-id_8300325.html

I bought a bunch of these silver space blankets for last year's Glasto: http://www.firstaid.co.uk/HypaGuard-Compact-Foil-Blankets-PQ2023C/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Google+Shopping&utm_campaign=firstaid.co.uk+google+shopping&gclid=CLXej_C9mMwCFYMK0wodOnUJ-Q

I always get cold in the evenings, so I just kept one in my bag. Was easy to whip out when needed, and just like Chuck in Better Call Saul, I would wrap it round my upper body and put my jacket on over the top so people couldn't really tell - I just rustled a lot. Really good for stone circle and walks back to the tent in the small hours.