The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

5 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

1. Lock ups are there for this reason. 

2. If the queues are long, will it really be quicker to go to your tent, rather than just waiting, or going to another set of toilets? 

3. Why do you need a tent as a meeting point? What's wrong with a thousand other places on site that don't take up camping space? 

How big are these lock ups? Whenever ive seen them mentioned I picture a small locker big enough to fit the small valuables, such as phones, wallets etc. Are they really big enough to fit camping chairs and crates of beer?

4 minutes ago, Buddy Holly said:

How big are these lock ups? Whenever ive seen them mentioned I picture a small locker big enough to fit the small valuables, such as phones, wallets etc. Are they really big enough to fit camping chairs and crates of beer?

festival1.png

3 minutes ago, Buddy Holly said:

The lockups are huge marquees staffed by volunteers. They have shelving for left items, not lockers, so you can leave just about anything. A few years ago we left a fully loaded garden trolley in one for a while. 

5 minutes ago, Buddy Holly said:

they are big marque style tents with rows of wooden shelving on what looks like scaffolding poles ,  big enough for push bikes and trailers so definatlly big enough for crates of beer

2 hours ago, WallaceHigh said:

Yeh fair enough, agree with your points, as I said it was only a thought, no need to get so aggressive about it!

you've opened a can of worms on a particular sore point on people taking too much space within the camping areas....Separate tent is not a good call and you will be crucified on here for it!!

Lockups will be fine for everything you mentioned and toilet queues aren't that bad tbh

2 hours ago, mr gumby said:

The lockups are huge marquees staffed by volunteers. They have shelving for left items, not lockers, so you can leave just about anything. A few years ago we left a fully loaded garden trolley in one for a while. 

Lockups are bloody fantastic!! you can literally leave anything there :)

Just got a new 30L backpack for the day. Replacing the 20L I've had for a few years - I like the back section as it keeps me cooler during the day:
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/walkabout-30l-backpack-p13611.aspx?cl=Grey

There's a 40L one too: 
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/rucksacks/rucksacks-backpacks/medium-backpacks/walkabout-40l-p12285.aspx?cl=Navy

Apologies if this has already been post (I don't follow this thread religiously) but Sports Direct have a sale on at the moment (shock), I only mention it because they had all of their rucksacks reduced by 50% to very reasonable prices. There was some decent brands in there and everything from day bags to 80L jobbies. I was in the one in Portsmouth but I'm lead to believe that prices are similar across the country.

Fortunately mine will be used for it's 10th year this year and is still holding out well but might be useful for those looking for a decent bag. 

I need some advice on a tent. I bought one of these last year and I ended up throwing it in a bin on the way out the festival. I would like something similar but maybe with a porch.

http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/camping.aspx/tents/new-tents/green/coleman/instant-dome-5/53019905016?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_merchant_centre&gclid=cnxsg_sb_8scfbmk0wodrsgihg#.Vwe7rJwrKUk

I can't advise on tent (although I did see someone recommend a 5 man that's on sale at the moment) the one you had looks as if it might have been a single skinned tent, which can get you wet even if it doesn't rain! Go for something double skinned.