The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, joeltg said:

Can anyone recommend a decent camping stove set they have already used - compact and lightweight....seen some on Amazon that double up as pots/cups but just wondered if they were any good. 

If you just wany to boil water then probably jetboil. If you want something a little more flexible then the Optimus sets are pretty good.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Went to REI yesterday ( our higher end version of millets and such ) and got this. Def gonna come in handy if you wanna sit down and not use a towel or blanket. Surely something compareable in uk shops though. Also grabbed a quick drying towel and toilet seat covers. All thats left to buy are sleeping bags and a  foam camping/yoga mat for the WV tent. do they sell mats onsite at the festival btw? Just curious.

https://www.rei.com/product/190844/matador-pocket-blanket-mini

I like Matador products, quite envious of you being able to buy that in a physical store, I've only seen them available online here.

The pocket blanket is a good idea, although if it gets wet or muddy (god forbid!) then I imagine I'd get less and less excited by the idea of packing it away into its little carry case each time!

8 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

The pocket blanket is a good idea, although if it gets wet or muddy (god forbid!) then I imagine I'd get less and less excited by the idea of packing it away into its little carry case each time!

A bit baffled by it - no need for it when it's dry, can't use it when it's wet.

Maybe when there's some slight early morning dew it comes into its own.

21 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

I like Matador products, quite envious of you being able to buy that in a physical store, I've only seen them available online here.

Aaah. Well it has instructions saying it will fold back into the little case! It has sort of a guide printed on it with the lines it seems.

Well My gf is the one who wants that sort of thing because having a small  cloth blanket or something to sit on is gonna be useless there cause it can get dirty. I know the grass holds up well but you still dont know if somebody spilled a beer or something on and ground, so better to be safe when you sit.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I take it back, in that same group someone did get a message later, from WV, that they will have stuff for you there! Worth double checking of course.

Oh cool. Yeah, never hurts to ask when I arrive. We're likl gonna buy a cheap mat at millets beforehand. But wont hurt to get another. Cheers

Thanks for the advice all, some nice bits of kit in amongst that so sure I will pick one. 

I travel ultra light if I can so a stove is a nice luxury to have. 

Figured I would add some comfort this year and take a pillow too....

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Costco membership required 

Just bought this party grill for £32.98 with free delivery, seems like a great price when compared to other stores 

IMG_20220525_083634.jpg

IMG_20220525_083557.jpg

IMG_20220525_083524.jpg

IMG_20220525_083446.jpg

IMG_20220525_083419.jpg

Borrowed a similar version of this (it connected to a regulator and larger gas bottle though) off the in-laws one trip, great bit of kit I can vouch. Just a bastard to clean after with minimal facilities.

39 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Costco membership required 

Just bought this party grill for £32.98 with free delivery, seems like a great price when compared to other stores 

IMG_20220525_083634.jpg

IMG_20220525_083557.jpg

IMG_20220525_083524.jpg

IMG_20220525_083446.jpg

IMG_20220525_083419.jpg

That is OUTSTANDING value. Very similar to the CADAC model we have in the campervan, which was £90 when bought in the January sales.

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

That is OUTSTANDING value. Very similar to the CADAC model we have in the campervan, which was £90 when bought in the January sales.

Yeah great price , some dubious maths in the offer but ive had the confirmation purchase email , my friends have one and its really good and easy to clean 👏

38 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Borrowed a similar version of this (it connected to a regulator and larger gas bottle though) off the in-laws one trip, great bit of kit I can vouch. Just a bastard to clean after with minimal facilities.

yeah i think thats the 400 r version which is the same same but uses a gas bottle . My friends have the 400cv version and they find it is easy to clean as the fat just floats on the water

I have this tent: https://www.decathlon.com/products/tent-arpenaz-3xl-fresh-black

Thinking of upgrading to a double airbed and new sleeping bag, now into my 40s and a good nights sleep is vital for me to function the following day so looking things such as this:

Eurohike Flocked Double Airbed | GO Outdoors

With a new double sleeping bag like this:

Eurohike Snooze Double Sleeping Bag | GO Outdoors

I'm 6ft2 so sleeping bag needs to be good...my current one only really goes under my arms and would prefer one that I can really get under if possible.

🙂

thanks. 

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Thinking of upgrading to a double airbed

Just remember that there is no thermal protection from an Air bed, so you'd need to bring fleece blankets to insulate yourself between the bed and your sleeping bag.  If you can afford it, self inflating mattresses are far better than inflatable beds and they can come really thick nowadays 10-15cm.

4 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

Just remember that there is no thermal protection from an Air bed, so you'd need to bring fleece blankets to insulate yourself between the bed and your sleeping bag.  If you can afford it, self inflating mattresses are far better than inflatable beds and they can come really thick nowadays 10-15cm.

Do you have a recommendation?

I'm coming on one of the See Coaches so will need to keep 'bulk' at a minimum!

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Do you have a recommendation?

I'm coming on one of the See Coaches so will need to keep 'bulk' at a minimum!

Not a recommendation as such, but our 7.5cm Vango SIMs are slightly bulkier than a small 3 person tent when rolled up, so don't get anything thicker than that. 7.5cm is extremely comfortable though. More so than any airbed I've ever tried, including the high ones!

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I have this tent: https://www.decathlon.com/products/tent-arpenaz-3xl-fresh-black

Thinking of upgrading to a double airbed and new sleeping bag, now into my 40s and a good nights sleep is vital for me to function the following day so looking things such as this:

Eurohike Flocked Double Airbed | GO Outdoors

With a new double sleeping bag like this:

Eurohike Snooze Double Sleeping Bag | GO Outdoors

I'm 6ft2 so sleeping bag needs to be good...my current one only really goes under my arms and would prefer one that I can really get under if possible.

🙂

thanks. 

We have a silmilar air bed to that one, but it has a built in foot pump, which is super handy as you dont need to bring another pump / easy to pump a little extra in late when you get in. Never found it cold - your sleeping bag should be all good for that. 

1 hour ago, Glast0baby said:

We go with an airbed with sleeping bags and have never been cold 

18 hours ago, joeltg said:

Thanks for the advice all, some nice bits of kit in amongst that so sure I will pick one. 

I travel ultra light if I can so a stove is a nice luxury to have. 

Figured I would add some comfort this year and take a pillow too....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trangia-Mini/dp/B07BSFQ2HR

A mini trangia is perfect for one/two people. The pans stack so you can boiling water below and flip the lid to cook eggs/bacon on top. I bought this model in 2014 and never looked back 😊

image.jpeg.dc1cd9732df1bb00da64297aacb9b194.jpeg

Just now, jomilky said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trangia-Mini/dp/B07BSFQ2HR

A mini trangia is perfect for one/two people. The pans stack so you can boiling water below and flip the lid to cook eggs/bacon on top. I bought this model in 2014 and never looked back 😊

image.jpeg.dc1cd9732df1bb00da64297aacb9b194.jpeg

Ah just noticed it's out of stock, but it's called a Trangia TRANGIA 28 T MINI if you can search for it. There's a pricer one here: https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/trangia/gear/food-and-cooking/stoves/28-t-mini-non-stick/?gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkaZIDYJufLMr0Iv2U1cyGzGinxN66OGxuGbNV9UP7C-WRdrdpz2f5xoCVzYQAvD_BwE