The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Do people bother with camping chairs or not? I know theres a lot more on than other festivals but a chair is nice in the morning for eating breakfast / late night. Any thoughts? 🙂 

We normally have a couple of chairs and a couple of these (they're great) - 

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYS5hZHNpbWcuY29tIiwi

but now I'm also thinking about one of these based on this review... handy enough to carry around the festival too if I wanted I would think -

Edited by TheDayman

1 hour ago, gfa said:

chair it is, thanks all. Not sure where i got the idea that a lot of people on here don't bother with them

I think it's the groups of people in  chairs near stages that people don't like navigating through. 

I've got a tiny triangular stool, incredibly light and easy to carry, but it keeps yer bum off the floor and saves you getting up and down too. 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Do people bother with camping chairs or not? I know theres a lot more on than other festivals but a chair is nice in the morning for eating breakfast / late night. Any thoughts? 🙂 

We're in a trailer tent, so have 2 big chairs we leave there. 

We have one each of these foldable chairs in our day bags, pack up really small and light. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284191702763?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RjIPekt9Qk-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=jwXFOTEsQDy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think it's the groups of people in  chairs near stages that people don't like navigating through. 

I've got a tiny triangular stool, incredibly light and easy to carry, but it keeps yer bum off the floor and saves you getting up and down too. 

Yeah I agree (i'm not one of them!) but i had the idea that people didn't take them full stop. I will definitely be taking mine

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I tried one of these one year. I struggled with how low they were. 10 years of ageing and a slightly dodgy hip later there’s no chance I’m taking the risk. 

I’ll be buying a chair on site, comes in a bag I can sling over my shoulder and can take it home with me easily as I won’t have any beer left to carry. 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I tried one of these one year. I struggled with how low they were. 10 years of ageing and a slightly dodgy hip later there’s no chance I’m taking the risk. 

I’ll be buying a chair on site, comes in a bag I can sling over my shoulder and can take it home with me easily as I won’t have any beer left to carry. 

I'm in my 50s and can't pretend I'm fit, but also I'm only average height so it does the job and was a godsend in 2016. I'm coming via coach so weight and luggage capacity is everything. 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

This is looks to be a semi decent knock off of the £100+ light weight chairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/URPRO-Ultralight-Portable-Capacity-Collapsible/dp/B07PLSKNCT/ref=asc_df_B07PLSKNCT/

I've got one of these, the seat is fine but they are an arse ache putting up and down, I only took it the once and never bothered again

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

This is looks to be a semi decent knock off of the £100+ light weight chairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/URPRO-Ultralight-Portable-Capacity-Collapsible/dp/B07PLSKNCT/ref=asc_df_B07PLSKNCT/

I have one of these for the queue and sitting around camp in the morning, the small size and weight is perfect for me. I couldn't be arsed with taking a full size chair again tbh as these are so compact when space and weight is at a premium

34 minutes ago, coma girl said:

I have one of these for the queue and sitting around camp in the morning, the small size and weight is perfect for me. I couldn't be arsed with taking a full size chair again tbh as these are so compact when space and weight is at a premium

I've been looking at getting one of these for the camp area, are the decent on your back? like is there any back support?

Cheers

14 minutes ago, Perks said:

I've been looking at getting one of these for the camp area, are the decent on your back? like is there any back support?

Cheers

Not as much as on a regular camping chair and I should probably caveat this by saying I am quite short (and don't have back issues) so the taller you are the less support you're getting. Might be worth trying before you buy if you know anyone who has one. 

19 minutes ago, coma girl said:

Not as much as on a regular camping chair and I should probably caveat this by saying I am quite short (and don't have back issues) so the taller you are the less support you're getting. Might be worth trying before you buy if you know anyone who has one. 

I'm only a short guy and this is very tempting! Travelling down by coach so space is at a real premium and I'd written off a chair - this could be just the ticket for the morning coffee/cider/bloody mary til I head on down to the stages...

15 hours ago, coma girl said:

Thanks for the advice, yeah might get one of me pals to invest...and let me try it, like the idea of how lightweight it is, and travelling on the coach means that is a must

17 hours ago, Perks said:

Cheers

I've bought one similar to these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trekology-YIZI-Portable-Camping-Chair/dp/B07NT77GT8/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07NT77GT8&th=1 - made by Trekology and gets lots of positive reviews, on Amazon and elsewhere, for about £35 with automatic discount). I'm 5'10 and it's pretty comfortable, if a bit low. And I note the one above, while cheaper, is a bit (9cm) shorter.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:15 AM, a6l6e6x said:

22 hours ago, Bennykill said:

i bought the same one a few years back.  it is still going strong (i only use it for festivals, so a few times a year) and I have had no problems.   isn't 120l though.  Slightly bigger than my expensive Gregory 85l bag

+1 I’ve also had this one a few years and it’s held up very well through festivals, several house moves, and lots of abuse. It does feel really cheap though to me so I’m always a bit on edge about when it’ll finally give up, but hasn’t let me down yet! I might get a sturdier one for Glasto just for peace of mind…

Little tip i found recently, maybe its common knowledge.

I always take sunglasses to festivals and they always get crushed in my bumbag within a day. So I went to specsavers and asked to buy a glasses case and they just give them out for free (at least in my branch). Hope this helps someone 🙂

12 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I've bought one similar to these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trekology-YIZI-Portable-Camping-Chair/dp/B07NT77GT8/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07NT77GT8&th=1 - made by Trekology and gets lots of positive reviews, on Amazon and elsewhere, for about £35 with automatic discount). I'm 5'10 and it's pretty comfortable, if a bit low. And I note the one above, while cheaper, is a bit (9cm) shorter.

Yeah got one of these and they are excellent for the morning cuppa/breakfast chill 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Little tip i found recently, maybe its common knowledge.

I always take sunglasses to festivals and they always get crushed in my bumbag within a day. So I went to specsavers and asked to buy a glasses case and they just give them out for free (at least in my branch). Hope this helps someone 🙂

Crushing is the least of my issues; I have to take about four pairs of £1 Primark sunglasses since I lose them down SEC so frequently! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Crushing is the least of my issues; I have to take about four pairs of £1 Primark sunglasses since I lose them down SEC so frequently! 

Yeah this too - hopefully the case will help me not lose them as well. Usually i just find some new ones and the cycle repeats a few times over the weekend!