The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

2 hours ago, danmarks said:

Theres a 30000 one cheaper.  Is there any obvious drawback on that im missing before i buy it?

Be sure to check reviews if its not Anker - a lot of them lie about their capacity so be careful

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danmarks said:

Theres a 30000 one cheaper.  Is there any obvious drawback on that im missing before i buy it?

Not going to be a deal breaker for most people going to Glastonbury, but for most airlines the largest size you're allowed to take onto a plane is approx 27,000mah - so you may factor that in if you plan on flying to the festival or using it for a holiday at a later date.

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I’d give the same feedback as @joeruss
Mine’s never let me down. 

2 hours ago, blue6field said:

I ordered on and it arrived last week, Fully charged its given me about 5 Iphone charges and stuck it on my Ipad the other night to keep it charged whilst watching the football. Still had 1 blue light left, seems pretty good!

4 hours ago, joeruss said:

I've got one of the older Anker 20,000 chargers and its superb, still working fine now 4 years on.. can't comment on the latest version though

Thanks all. Bought one, will come in handy for camping wild in the camper at the very least!

I never take my phone to Glastonbury but thinking about it this year for the first time, for secret sets and pics mostly.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

If you went for a strict definition of bargain, then a lot of the things posted probably wouldn't qualify, and this thread would be significantly worse for it.

Better to use a broader definition - especially considering you don't (or at least, shouldn't) value your time at zero.

Absolutely, but some of the newer models have a 100% (or more) premium and considering the time you're referring to is usually overnight it would be good to have some numbers to compare. 

So the subject  of the perfect battery charger is back on the table.  I need to test my current 3/4 year old one but suspect I will need to get another. This got me thinking about whether there is anywhere on site where you can re charge these batteries if need be, didn't the lock ups have this facility in the past or did I dream it?

40 minutes ago, zico martin said:

So the subject  of the perfect battery charger is back on the table.  I need to test my current 3/4 year old one but suspect I will need to get another. This got me thinking about whether there is anywhere on site where you can re charge these batteries if need be, didn't the lock ups have this facility in the past or did I dream it?

They (or at least, some of them) did, or nothing to stop you charging a power bank at the EE tent assuming that's still a thing. But feels easier to just get something that covers you for the weekend.

5 hours ago, incident said:

They (or at least, some of them) did, or nothing to stop you charging a power bank at the EE tent assuming that's still a thing. But feels easier to just get something that covers you for the weekend.

Yeah I know at the ee tent you can't just leave your phone to collect later but thought you could with the lock ups. Sounds too easy a solution so perhaps I'll get a couple of new batteries to be on the safe side!

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

https://festivalcop.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/secret-stash-velvet-hair-scrunchie-with-zip 

This crafty item so that one of our group can safely bring in anything that they wouldn’t want security finding! 

So this is is why men with top knots has become a thing 😄 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, zico martin said:

There is/was a guy in the Green Fields with a van with loads of solar panels on it. Always used him to charge my phone, you just leave it there and come back later. However, in 2016 he actually charged my Anker battery for me instead of the phone. Only charged me a tenner. Not sure if he was there in 2017/19 or will be back this year, but he was charging loads of stuff every time I stopped by.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ModernMan said:

I never take my phone to Glastonbury but thinking about it this year for the first time, for secret sets and pics mostly.

I bought one of these:

Phone anti-theft

i’ll connect it to my bag so I can’t lose my iPhone while drunk.

i am tempted to buy a Nokia phone though, just because they function much better for getting texts and calls through when the network is struggling to cope with the volume of phone traffic at night.

12 hours ago, zico martin said:

if you can find a deal on this and can cope with the weight (1.5kg) it is cracking.  Just charged up and discharged under test conditions (Phone charged daily and occasional mobile speaker / headphones).  you get over two weeks out of it under those conditions.  I have purchased several cheaper options over the last several years and its false economy. This is bombproof and just sits in the tent and charges my gear overnight.

RidgeMonkey Vault C-Smart Wireless Power Pack 77850mAh (anglingdirect.co.uk)

If your phone wont last a day without carrying a charge pack around with you just step away from the social media and enjoy what is in front of your face 🙂

• Upvote 1

Posted in another thread but probably better here - https://www.millets.co.uk/15989031/eurohike-colossus-ii-6515l-rucksack-15989031

65L eurohike backpack which opens like a suitcase (perfect for packing cubes) + comes with a detachable day bag. On sale for £35 at the moment and there was a discount code on top of that for 20% taking it down to £27, but the code doesnt seem to be working now. it was 'brand20'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brad2434 said:

Posted in another thread but probably better here - https://www.millets.co.uk/15989031/eurohike-colossus-ii-6515l-rucksack-15989031

65L eurohike backpack which opens like a suitcase (perfect for packing cubes) + comes with a detachable day bag. On sale for £35 at the moment and there was a discount code on top of that for 20% taking it down to £27, but the code doesnt seem to be working now. it was 'brand20'.

Someone bought this the other day - not sure who though i can't seem to figure it out from my history.

here's a 15% code UNIG0I6E if that helps

On 5/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, Brad2434 said:

Nice.. Just bought one as have borrowed a bag for years! 15% off with blue light card works too. 

Lidl's camping event is next Thursday, although it's not a very large selection. A picnic blanket, lantern, sleeping mat, pan set, walkie talkies and a powered cooler. https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/camping-gear/c2311/w2

Meanwhile, Aldi's latest leaflet says their 'Get Outdoors' camping event is starting a week later on Thursday 19th. They don't release details about what specifically will be included this far in advance, but here's what was on sale last year: https://www.aldipresscentre.co.uk/product-news/fancy-a-yay-cation/

I don’t know how many of you have recipe boxes like gousto or hello fresh (or know anyone who does) but if you’re planning on taking cool boxes or want ice packs. They send re-usable ice packs in the boxes. So if you start keeping them now you’ll have a few for the festival. Saves chucking them and you can pop them and just bring the plastic back with you if you arnt using them again.