The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

46 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I can't speak for the one on that link but there's quite a few similar ones on Amazon. Mine is more comfy than a sleeping mat and sturdier than an air bed, doesn't seem to deflate in the heat the same way

thanks, that's exactly what i'm after, my back isn't as young as it used to be!!

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I very much doubt you can buy pillows.

A top tip is to stuff your sleeping bag stuff-sack with soft clothes (down jacket being the optimum in comfort) and use in combination with your inflatable pillow.

In one of the vlogs I was watching this week, someone had bought a couple of pillows on site. I think it was Barbster.

47 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

I got one on site in 2015

56 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

A bit pricier than most other options, but the camping pillows by Sea to Summit are a lot nicer than average - specifically the Aeros Down and Aeros Premium ranges - they come in a range of sizes, have a small amount of padding built in so don't feel so abrasive, and pack down really small. The trick is to blow them up to about 75% full and they work a treat.

1 hour ago, ohmygod said:

I bought a couple of these in 2019 and they're great, smaller than a regular pillow, lovely soft fabric and you just stuff it full of clothes so it's easy to bring and take home afterwards.

Dunno if it's cheaper elsewhere, maybe worth checking?

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/389-Therm-A-Rest-Trekker-Pillow-Case-Grey-Print/

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

IOU one thanks.

You'd have thought after two decades here I might understand when the 24 hours expires and I get a fresh batch...but I don't.

I have the whole document if that would be any use? 

I don't want to derail the thread with WV info though...

2 hours ago, ohmygod said:

I take a regular pillow but use a vacuum bag so it sucks all the air out and makes it into a small size that fits in my camping bag. I also do the same for clothing. 

Edited by MaseTMT

1 minute ago, MaseTMT said:

I take a regular pillow but use a vacuum bag so it sucks all the area out and makes it into a small size that fits in my camping bag. I also do the same for clothing. 

We started doing this a few years ago, absolute game changer. We vacuum bag pillows, a double duvet and a couple of towels.

First time by coach this year, so not sure what we will be doing

7 minutes ago, am00 said:

I have the whole document if that would be any use? 

I don't want to derail the thread with WV info though...

Ah they send you something more detailed before the festival? 

That in itself is good to know thanks 😊

Not exactly camping essentials but they sell some waterproof shoes and coats...

Vans have 30% off everything on the site if you create an account and if you add this code to checkout you get a further 20% off VANS20OFF-B28MD-DG34U

Edited by kaytee...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Vans have 30% off everything on the site if you create an account and if you add this code to checkout you get a further 20% off VANS20OFF-B28MD-DG34U

Thanks for this, I've just saved £44 🙂 

3 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Amazing - I've just got myself £200 worth of gear for £111, including these £105 trainers for just over £50. 

image.png.6bd56392f5dd000065088fd50831a7bb.png 

4 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Thanks! Ordered myself some new shorts 🙂

6 hours ago, mazola said:

We started doing this a few years ago, absolute game changer. We vacuum bag pillows, a double duvet and a couple of towels.

First time by coach this year, so not sure what we will be doing

How does it work coming back though?