The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

28 minutes ago, e9t3 said:

This arrived today, 5L water carrier bag thing. £3.89 so I imagine it'll break carrying it back to the tent.

IMG_20220425_181433.jpg

Also they can taste a bit plasticy when new. I think i read somewhere you can fill it with water and some bicarbonate of soda before first use.

6 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Also they can taste a bit plasticy when new. I think i read somewhere you can fill it with water and some bicarbonate of soda before first use.

On the instructions it says wash with detergent first, then empty it out and fill it up again with salt water, or a mix of water and milk 😂

It's full of salt water rn

I once bought (would you believe it) a second hand one of these type things off ebay once;

mfh_hydration_bladder_coyote_1.jpg

It is essentially a waterproof bag like e9t3's (but probably has thicker plastic sheeting - as measured in microns, if you wanted to know) but comes with an outer bag and a pouring (drink from) tap on a tube. 

Anyway, I bought it because I was going to a festival with an 'arena'. I was going to the festival because it was virtually on my doorstep, and I'd bought a campervan, and wanted to use it etc etc. So, I had to have a smuggling device because they wouldn't allow your own booze into the arena, and checked everybody before they entered the arena part.

To cut a long story shorter, it worked. well - in that I got past security with my booze. However, my joy was short-lived when I opened the tap on the end of the tube (remember the rucksack part is still on my back, and I have only got a hold of the tube and tap bit). I was not expecting what happened next. I opened the tap (it was a warm day and the bag had been tossed around from here to there during the day) and this ferocious squirt of liquid shot out of the tap in an instant. I hurriedly closed the tap the moment my brain actually registered what was going on. I succeeded in closing the tap, but it was way too late - most of the booze had shot into the sky and then fallen to the dry mud on the ground. In the end I think I only got a regular sized plastic cup's worth of booze out of the remains within traumatised bag. And the reason why this happened? it's because I had filled the bag with cava. What a fucking plank!

I actually bought this last year, but I figure it's worth mentioning as one of my favourite festival bits:

Nitecore Tini 2 torch - Ridiculously small and lightweight, Extremely bright, and USB-C rechargeable. The only bad part is it costs a bit more than most people would want to pay for something like this, but I reckon it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-TINI-Keyring-Torch-Rechargeable/dp/B078RPN124

Just now, broken monkey said:

Does Decathlon have any discount codes or have any regular sales that anyone's aware of? Have a bunch of things to buy from there and would hate to see it all discounted soon after I buy it all. Ta.

No, they don't tend to run sales on active lines at all.

Usually if something is discounted, it means that it's being discontinued. For tents that usually means a handful of models may be discounted towards the end of the Summer or in the Autumn.

Some corporate reward portals might offer Decathlon/Go Outdoors/Blacks etc instant vouchers or a % off clicking a link. I can get 6% off using an instant voucher through my works portal. Also worth checking if any friends have a Blue Light card

13 minutes ago, am00 said:

Any tips/advice on an air mattress or self inflating mattress that packs up *very* compact?

Flying over (with ryanair) so need to minimise luggage! 

Probably be cheaper buying one when you arrive rather than pay the massive charges that Ryanair and easyjet add for hold luggage!  Can’t remember if they are still available to buy and inflate on site. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, am00 said:

Any tips/advice on an air mattress or self inflating mattress that packs up *very* compact?

When we flew over in 2017, we bought an air mattress when we arrived and then neatly packed in back in to the box and donated to charity before we flew back.

16 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

When we flew over in 2017, we bought an air mattress when we arrived and then neatly packed in back in to the box and donated to charity before we flew back.

Thanks! I think this is best option. Did you buy on site? We are arriving Thurs and getting coach so no time for shopping in Bristol !

27 minutes ago, am00 said:

I've just seen in the 2019 information for WV they rent them also, so hopefully that's there again this year and I'm staying with them! 

Where did you see that out of interest?

I've seen such information for older festivals, but don't think I've seen it mentioned that recently.

5 hours ago, am00 said:

I've got a self inflating one similar to this. Mine packs into a fairly small bag when deflated and I carried it to a festival in my cabin size rucksack with everything else  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQSHC39/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_BYVM2F3309W9EDQCF2Q8

8 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I've got a self inflating one similar to this. Mine packs into a fairly small bag when deflated and I carried it to a festival in my cabin size rucksack with everything else  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQSHC39/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_BYVM2F3309W9EDQCF2Q8

I like the look of this, comfy too? looks it

16 minutes ago, Perks said:

I like the look of this, comfy too? looks it

I can't speak for the one on that link but there's quite a few similar ones on Amazon. Mine is more comfy than a sleeping mat and sturdier than an air bed, doesn't seem to deflate in the heat the same way

• Like 1

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

5 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Looking at pillows.  Those blow up camping ones are always too small and hard so tend to bring in normal ones.   However Im with Shelter on the bars this year and have to travel by coach so they will be a bit too bulky.  Anybody know if they sell pillows on site anywhere?

I very much doubt you can buy pillows.

A top tip is to stuff your sleeping bag stuff-sack with soft clothes (down jacket being the optimum in comfort) and use in combination with your inflatable pillow.

• Upvote 1