The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m in the market for a new day bag.

Anyone got any recommendations? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Divoom-Pixoo-Backpack-5000mah-Powerpack/dp/B08NXS3RR2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=Y3C2BP23KM6D&keywords=led+bagpack&qid=1647093972&sprefix=led+bag%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-4

Ive similar ... let your friends find you in a crowd with this one 🙂 

10 hours ago, Divein said:

Having done the last few festivals on. 5cm self inflating mat I think you’d be absolutely fine with just the mat. They really are great and the benefit you would get out the bed vs having to carrying it might not be worth it. I don’t think you’ll notice the different between the floor and the bed with the mat on. Just thought I’d mention it. 

Fair point. If I'm honest I'm doing it cos I've seen it mentioned so many times over the years, but you have got me thinking now.

Does it not get damp and cold just having that thin mat on your tent floor?

I've only ever had a single air bed, but lying on this mat, it does seem ridiculously narrow - might feel different when I put it on the camping bed!

Normally my niece and I take 2 x3 person tents but since developing osteoarthritis in my hip which is painful and her also having a bad back we thought we would just take 1x4or5 person tent this year which has more head room to stand up in with a standing porch area too. Any recommendations for a mid priced tent, not too heavy and easy to pitch? We are both tall! 

On 3/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, kalifire said:

I recommend osprey as well. check out their 'second life' collection for 50% off. They still come with a warranty and are literally perfectly fine

31 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Anyone with any history with this, would like to pick it up but don't have much experience with self inflating mats.

That one's not self-inflating.  You have to blow it up, but it's different to a normal airbed as the air compartment is divided into hundreds of little linked pockets, which means it will keep you off the floor with less pressure/volume.  I much prefer this type for festivals as they pack down to a truly miniscule size so you could take a few.  Self-inflating mats, like the original Thermarest, don't pack down anywhere near as small.

Personally, for Glastonbury, I'd wait until Lidl sell their own 'Crivit' branded version, which will probably be quite soon as they usually do a camping sale in spring.  These are orange things that look a bit like a lilo, but don't cost much more than a tenner and do the job really well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

That one's not self-inflating.  You have to blow it up, but it's different to a normal airbed as the air compartment is divided into hundreds of little linked pockets, which means it will keep you off the floor with less pressure/volume.  I much prefer this type for festivals as they pack down to a truly miniscule size so you could take a few.  Self-inflating mats, like the original Thermarest, don't pack down anywhere near as small.

Personally, for Glastonbury, I'd wait until Lidl sell their own 'Crivit' branded version, which will probably be quite soon as they usually do a camping sale in spring.  These are orange things that look a bit like a lilo, but don't cost much more than a tenner and do the job really well.

I picked this one up in the end but it sounds good. The lidls around me don't normally get many camping things so I thought I'd get this one.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, kalifire said:

Bit late in replying.

I have a lowe alpine airzone one which is great (I have a rucksack of this type too).

Pricey but comfy and has a bit at the back so the main bit of the pack isn't right up against your back (the airzone bit) so no sweaty back as well as it being really comfy.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I use that Lidl one too, it's really good for the price 

On 3/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

This may appeal to some (apologies if already mentioned);

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/compact-inflating-mat-p23951.aspx/blue/

I picked up one of these after the death of my inflatable mattress in 19' (a slow death that left me on the ground every night), arrived yesterday, seems really great.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, sedra said:

Normally my niece and I take 2 x3 person tents but since developing osteoarthritis in my hip which is painful and her also having a bad back we thought we would just take 1x4or5 person tent this year which has more head room to stand up in with a standing porch area too. Any recommendations for a mid priced tent, not too heavy and easy to pitch? We are both tall! 

We have this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-with-poles-arpenaz-4-1-f-b-4-persons-1-bedroom/_/R-p-177332?mc=8492957&c=BLUE_TURQUOISE and love it. The blackout features great, lets you sleep in a little longer and keeps the tent cooler. 

Has anyone got any recommendations for a charge bar to keep my mobile topped up? The one my wife and I used has expired since 2017 when I was last in the fields and I need to get a new one.  

7 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I can wholly recommend this model of tent for anybody who is looking for one!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keverton said:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a charge bar to keep my mobile topped up? The one my wife and I used has expired since 2017 when I was last in the fields and I need to get a new one.  

Anything by Anker, look up the battery capacity of your phone ( it'll be in mAh) and find something that holds 3-4 times more then this. You should get at least 3 full charges out of that. 

E.g. an iPhone 13 is 3200 mAh and Anker have a 20,000mAh charger which they claim gives 4.5 full charges (deduct a bit you lose through inefficiency)

It's currently £28 on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Technology-High-Capacity-Compatible-Black/dp/B07S829LBX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?c=ts

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Anything by Anker, look up the battery capacity of your phone ( it'll be in mAh) and find something that holds 3-4 times more then this. You should get at least 3 full charges out of that. 

E.g. an iPhone 13 is 3200 mAh and Anker have a 20,000mAh charger which they claim gives 4.5 full charges (deduct a bit you lose through inefficiency)

It's currently £28 on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Technology-High-Capacity-Compatible-Black/dp/B07S829LBX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?c=ts

You legend, thanks so much for the advice.

Not a link to a deal but defo an essential for me.

If you've a small tent (or even if you don't) - a poncho towel is a real winner.

Sticking one of these on over your smalls and just chilling outside your tent in the morning sun - coffee in hand - is a dream. A great way to start the day.

Adult Surf Poncho 500 OLAIAN - Decathlon