The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

8 hours ago, gfa said:

AliExpress is where people who sell on Amazon source from in bulk, its basically chinese amazon. Definitely trustworthy but it will likely take a while to arrive (end of Feb for UK). Only 6 reviews but they are all 5* and one has some pictures - would be interested to know how it is. It has full buyer protection etc like you would expect and obviously if it doesn't show you have ages to get a different one

Thanks for the info 🙂

6 hours ago, padraig61091 said:

Ali express is fine just stuff can take a month of two to arrive.
Just keep in mind that is not really a self inflating mat (it’s a standard air mattress with a built in hand pump) If you want a self inflating mattress with the foam inside this might be a good option. But obviously it will be bulkier 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-307396?mc=8595946&c=BEIGE

i have a 10cm thick vango one and it’s well worth it 

Didn't spot that it wasn't a proper self inflating one so thanks.  I got a proper one off eBay a few years back and they are awesome.  Will check your link 👌

On 1/31/2022 at 1:29 PM, padraig61091 said:

Ali express is fine just stuff can take a month of two to arrive.
Just keep in mind that is not really a self inflating mat (it’s a standard air mattress with a built in hand pump) If you want a self inflating mattress with the foam inside this might be a good option. But obviously it will be bulkier 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-307396?mc=8595946&c=BEIGE

i have a 10cm thick vango one and it’s well worth it 

If you can live with a 7.5 cm depth one instead, Alpkit have their Dozer self inflating mat on special offer at the moment. Its 1Kg lighter than the Decathlon version and looks like it pack's down into a smaller roll as well.

https://alpkit.com/products/dozer

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

2C1CB082-D4CB-4693-B3D7-84DD0F0F9BF4.thumb.jpeg.20eb8b77d5b9784fcd6fe12756aefe48.jpeg

just bought two of these ultra lightweight folding chairs from Amazon for those wee rests between acts, Dont worry, not during them!  They fit easily into a small rucksack.  Also useful for outside the bars and food outlets  when all the tables and benches are occupied. 

I've seen these, do you have a link? The ones I've seen were pretty pricey. I'd also be worried about them sinking into the mud!

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I've seen these, do you have a link? The ones I've seen were pretty pricey. I'd also be worried about them sinking into the mud!

53 quid for two , 30 for one.  Got them on Amazon prime, Nice C ultra light  camping chairs.  Reckon not suitable for anyone tall . The mud thing is a concern but should be ok.  We saw others in go outdoors but were twice the price. 

Had 4 of the Chinese lightweight chairs for a few years, they are extremely handy and by and large they have survived well.  Depending on how soft the ground is, they do sink in, sometimes leaving the little rubber feet behind when you pull them out. (Walking stick ferrules are a good replacement).

The Go-Outdoors ones are more expensive but they do have a handy mat that fits between the legs and should help stop the feet sinking in muddy conditions. I've never tried the Go-outdoor ones but If they sold the mats separately I'd be tempted to try one with my current chairs.

image.png.cd8a81309e63aca2fd5a0ace8a62c622.png

Smallest and lightest sitting above ground contraption I have, is a poundland camping stool. It takes up a tiny space in your sack, and has near instant assembly, but the flipside is you end up sitting just a few inches above the ground, supported squatting really. You can't be a chair w*nker with one, you are too low, all you'd see is the back of someone's legs but at times I have found it very useful.  However, if its muddy its more likely to sink than the chairs will. Not sure how robust it is long term.

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Had 4 of the Chinese lightweight chairs for a few years, they are extremely handy and by and large they have survived well.  Depending on how soft the ground is, they do sink in, sometimes leaving the little rubber feet behind when you pull them out. (Walking stick ferrules are a good replacement).

The Go-Outdoors ones are more expensive but they do have a handy mat that fits between the legs and should help stop the feet sinking in muddy conditions. I've never tried the Go-outdoor ones but If they sold the mats separately I'd be tempted to try one with my current chairs.

Smallest and lightest sitting above ground contraption I have, is a poundland camping stool. It takes up a tiny space in your sack, and has near instant assembly, but the flipside is you end up sitting just a few inches above the ground, supported squatting really. You can't be a chair w*nker with one, you are too low, all you'd see is the back of someone's legs but at times I have found it very useful.  However, if its muddy its more likely to sink than the chairs will. Not sure how robust it is long term.

I have a previous model of the Go Outdoors one as I got some vouchers from work. Great seat and nice and comfy. Only thing is rhe getting out/up is a bit tricky for me being tall

13 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

You can also buy those mats on eBay or Amazon or similar. Would imagine they are fairly universal as the chairs all look pretty similar. Maybe a slight variation in size

13 hours ago, dondo said:

I have a previous model of the Go Outdoors one as I got some vouchers from work. Great seat and nice and comfy. Only thing is rhe getting out/up is a bit tricky for me being tall

How tall out of interest? I’m tempted by them but worried about ending up like an upside-down tortoise if I get stuck.

21 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

How tall out of interest? I’m tempted by them but worried about ending up like an upside-down tortoise if I get stuck.

6' 3".  No issue getting stuck just the dismount could be a bit ungainly at times

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dondo said:

6' 3".  No issue getting stuck just the dismount could be a bit ungainly at times

I’m 5’ 8’ and a bit over ten stone and find it relatively easy to get out the chair but reckon over six foot and standing up might be a bit ungainly. A tip might be a trip to go outdoors and try out the seat they have on display. The ones I bought are pretty wide and easy to carry, set up,  pack away.
 I’ve got a lovely vision of me and mrs c sitting in the morning sun the under pyramid field tree sipping a beer waiting for the music to start. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:01 AM, DarrenVonBoathook said:

I did have one of these from Go Outdoors; a red one. Folds up nice and compact but a bit fiddly to get back in the small bag. Was comfortable though. My son eventually managed to break it; one of the threaded ferrules snapped off in the main joining bit. Probably broke by him sitting/laying sideways in it whilst getting hammered.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, nikkic said:

The time has come for me to invest in some walking boots.

So good people, talk to me, brands to avoid, brands you like, what should one be looking for?

Are you planning to use them for walks & hiking generally, or just for festivals?

If they'll get plenty of use, then I highly recommend finding somewhere that can do a proper boot fitting based on your foot shape and gait. If you're anywhere near the North West then Whalley Warm & Dry are fabulous - fitted me for a pair of Meindl boots year before last that are the comfiest boots I've ever had. Makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of walks!

If they're just for festivals though then appreciate you probably don't want to spend lots. I'd have a look in Sports Direct/Blacks/Millets/GoOutdoors for something that fits your budget - DO NOT buy online, you've got to try boots.

For festival boots then fabric with a waterproof membrane is the way forward. Goretex is the gold standard but honestly eVent and other membranes are pretty good these days - I have a pair of Karrimor eVent boots probably about 10 years old now and they're still waterproof.

Can't really recommend any specific brands, like I said I love my Meindls... But provided you're not going for the absolutely bargain basement affairs, then I'd prioritise fit over brand.

• Upvote 1

Berghaus havent let me down and theyre surprisingly light for a full boot. Had scarpa flo before. A brilliant boot - but felt heavy after 5 days of mud had settled on them (2016) .Not helped by being full leather.

Definitely if its just festivals go for comfort and dont spend hundreds. You dont need to. Go outdoors and places like that should have a little bridge you can walk over to try the fitting out in different ways.  Sounds daft but it does make a difference.

34 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

DO NOT buy online, you've got to try boots.

Completely agree with this.

Before G2019 I finally gave in and decided I should buy proper walking boots instead of my very old Dunlop wellies. I did a bit of research online and bought two pairs of reasonably priced walking boots (same pair for me and my GF).

Hers were perfectly comfortable, and she still wears them to walk in the park etc. now. Mine were very uncomfortable and no amount of breaking them in since has made them more so. A complete waste of money.

Luckily in 2019 it didn't matter but I'll be trying before I'm buying for my next pair for sure!

8 minutes ago, DownlnAlbion said:

Just bought myself this back pack from Sports Direct . I resent giving Mike Ashley money but £120 down to £60 is a pretty good deal. 

86053290_l.webp

Sports Direct are pretty sneaky when it comes to their reductions - most of their items are nearly always 'half price' but when you search around it seems to be the standard price in other stores too.

It is actually slightly cheaper at OutdoorGB too: https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Regatta_Blackfell_III_60_10L_Backpack/

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

Are you planning to use them for walks & hiking generally, or just for festivals?

If they'll get plenty of use, then I highly recommend finding somewhere that can do a proper boot fitting based on your foot shape and gait. If you're anywhere near the North West then Whalley Warm & Dry are fabulous - fitted me for a pair of Meindl boots year before last that are the comfiest boots I've ever had. Makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of walks!

If they're just for festivals though then appreciate you probably don't want to spend lots. I'd have a look in Sports Direct/Blacks/Millets/GoOutdoors for something that fits your budget - DO NOT buy online, you've got to try boots.

For festival boots then fabric with a waterproof membrane is the way forward. Goretex is the gold standard but honestly eVent and other membranes are pretty good these days - I have a pair of Karrimor eVent boots probably about 10 years old now and they're still waterproof.

Can't really recommend any specific brands, like I said I love my Meindls... But provided you're not going for the absolutely bargain basement affairs, then I'd prioritise fit over brand.

I second all of this, especially trying them on, and also being very impressed with Meindls. I've also had a couple of pairs of Salomons before and I liked them and think they look a bit better (well, less awful than most!) but in my (limited) experience weren't as long lasting/hardwearing.

Proper socks make a difference too of course.