The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

Don’t even be telling me that, how much weight did you have on it? It says it can take 150kg, don’t think we’ll have anywhere near that on it, it’s mainly for the Tent, Air bed and a bit of booze, 50 kg max.

Well it was a fair few years ago, so the memory is a bit sketchy. It will have taken it's most brutal load on the way in, as that's when it will have been carrying a shed load of alcohol. I do remember that it was a very dry year, but the ground was very uneven on the way in, and back out. That said, if you are only intending to take a third of it's capacity, then that sounds like it would be alright to me.

The above said, you really could save yourself a potential lot of heart ache if you just get some of those pins, as spares. You may even be able to help out others who's pins have failed, therefore earning you Karmic Glastonbury Brownie Points. They really are only a few pence from a proper plumbers ie not a DIY chain store. I've tried to find the name for them for you, but can't seem to locate the name. However, what you are after is the brass clips on the photo on the link below;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-ball-valve-repair-kit/604fy#product_additional_details_container

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well it was a fair few years ago, so the memory is a bit sketchy. It will have taken it's most brutal load on the way in, as that's when it will have been carrying a shed load of alcohol. I do remember that it was a very dry year, but the ground was very uneven on the way in, and back out. That said, if you are only intending to take a third of it's capacity, then that sounds like it would be alright to me.

The above said, you really could save yourself a potential lot of heart ache if you just get some of those pins, as spares. You may even be able to help out others who's pins have failed, therefore earning you Karmic Glastonbury Brownie Points. They really are only a few pence from a proper plumbers ie not a DIY chain store. I've tried to find the name for them for you, but can't seem to locate the name. However, what you are after is the brass clips on the photo on the link below;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-ball-valve-repair-kit/604fy#product_additional_details_container

Split pin

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:24 AM, prestonmike said:

Just ordered this power bank, not sure how good it'll be but looks decent for the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TLTP982/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got another one of these the other day and despite it being slightly less in capacity, it lasted me all 5 days last glasto. Charged my phone real quick too.  Im sure everyone probably having new android or iphone 11’s will lower the charges you can have, but still.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1XH46M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited by Suprefan

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thank you, will make sure I’ve got a couple of sets of spares just Incase. 

Aldi (at least where I live and probably nationally) have got a load of offers on ski-wear.  So that means warm lined waterproof boots, thermals and all sorts to keep you warm and dry on festival nights.

• 5 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I'm coaching this year but ideally would have a trolley (tent is very heavy) - obviously they don't like you taking trolleys on the coach, but any ideas on trolleys that will fold flat so I can hide it away? Most of what I've seen don't really seem like they have tough enough wheels

Would like to know an answer to this as well - carrying tents, booze, chair, sleeping bag and everything else is going to be a nightmare - we have another group in a car but either way its going to be a pain.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Would like to know an answer to this as well - carrying tents, booze, chair, sleeping bag and everything else is going to be a nightmare - we have another group in a car but either way its going to be a pain.

A good quality fishing trolley has served me well. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

For the coach though ;) thats what I would go with if I was going in the car

I've been on coach 4 times in a row (National Express though) with something simliar. to this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbridge-Folding-Fishing-Trolley-Barrow/dp/B01M0ENPS8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2FI4S6EJ8GY22&dchild=1&keywords=fishing+trolleys+folding&qid=1578588373&sprefix=fishing+trolley%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-2

folds down.

took 2 large plastic B&M Trays,  4 Person Halfords full height tent, plus airbed, sleeping bag etc.. 

Edited by paddyclark
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, paddyclark said:

I've been on coach 4 times in a row (National Express though) with something simliar. to this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbridge-Folding-Fishing-Trolley-Barrow/dp/B01M0ENPS8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2FI4S6EJ8GY22&dchild=1&keywords=fishing+trolleys+folding&qid=1578588373&sprefix=fishing+trolley%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-2

folds down.

took 2 large plastic B&M Trays,  4 Person Halfords full height tent, plus airbed, sleeping bag etc.. 

I like how its a chair as well haha - might have to invest.

Local Poundland has a COB head torch in stock.

As you might imagine for £1, they are basic. There is no lens in front of the leds, so it has a short and wide light beam.

In use it seems pretty bright* and fine for rummaging around in a tent or campervan. Depending on your head shape you might want to add a bit of padding to the back of the torch for comfort, but I personally find it ok as it is.

Weighs approx 50 grams with batteries. Has a couple of brightness settings and a flashing mode.

*(completely subjective I know, but there are no lumens quoted on the packaging and it appears to be at least as bright as my original Petzl tikka with discrete leds though doesn't throw the light beam as far).

headtorch.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, pahqman said:

Seen many a dead fold-away trolleys on the walks in. Some not even out of the field the person parked in.

Not worth trying in my opinion...

Last year I helped someone that had just arrived in T&C with her folding trolley before one of the front wheels had fallen off. It had lasted the journey from the car park, through gate C and not much further.

There are a few different designs of folding trolley, but many seem to have the same design fault. The wheels are welded onto a single thin walled (normally square section) tube. As the loaded trolley is pulled over the uneven Glastonbury ground the wheels flex back and forth, twisting the tube and eventually it just tears away the section of tube its attached to.

There is at least one design of folding trolley where each wheel is attached to two different tubes and I would imagine it would be better at resisting the wheel flexing back and forth.

As I'm a sad twunt I had a look at the some of abandoned folding ones lying around the site and most had failed in the same way. 

trolley.jpg

• Upvote 1