The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

12 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Boot care products which contain a high amount of hydro carbon based solvents (coal/oil based waxes with paraffin, white spirits etc) ain’t good for modern footwear. You shouldn’t use dubbin on boots as the high oil based aspects can degrade the stitching.  

Buy Altberg Leder Gris or similar.  Put it on with your fingers as it gets into all the nooks and crannies and then brush polish.  

Zero point in buying good footwear unless you nourish it every now and then

Yea that's why I said use dubbing old son.. Lol

7 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

At least they provide a bit of coverage in the long drop if a tall person deigns to look over.

Speaking as a tall person. The top of the long drops are a lot higher than my eye line even stood on tip toes. There shouldn’t be any accidental looking over. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Speaking as a tall person. The top of the long drops are a lot higher than my eye line even stood on tip toes. There shouldn’t be any accidental looking over. 

What? I'm an avg height person (5'10"), and can easily see over. I'd estimate the top to be ~65"...

Have had plenty of instances of crossing streams with a stranger and then catching their eye. A wink and a blown kiss soon diffuses any awkwardness. ;)

On 11/18/2019 at 9:52 AM, squirrelarmy said:

Dunno what long drops you’ve been at. I’m 6’7 and the walls are at about the 6ft mark max. 

I find it funny chatting to randoms whilst having a pee

20 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Dunno what long drops you’ve been at. I’m 6’7 and the walls are at about the 6ft mark max. 

I find it funny chatting to randoms whilst having a pee

Yup im 6'1 and my boots give me a little bit of extra height and i can just about see over but not down 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, squirrelarmy said:

I'm 5' 10 and I can see all around while standing up!

Of course you'd struggle to look down in the one next to you but why would you try?

14 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Meet you at Gate A, bring your A game ? 

if Im at gate A with a ticket ... the only thing ill be armed with is a thatchers ... potentially dangerous but not at that stage :) and if I haven't beware of my secret weapon .... a twix 

Edited by crazyfool1

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

if Im at gate A with a ticket ... the only thing ill be armed with is a thatchers ... potentially dangerous but not at that stage :) and if I haven't beware of my secret weapon .... a twix 

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a ticket, I’m sure you’ll be fine but in the slim chance that you’re not then I think you need film yourself with the twix. What about paragliding? You just need to find a really big tree next to the fence 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a ticket, I’m sure you’ll be fine but in the slim chance that you’re not then I think you need film yourself with the twix. What about paragliding? You just need to find a really big tree next to the fence 

youve given me an idea ... thanks :) (and its not paragliding ... im not great with heights despite a buggy and skydive ) 

Edited by crazyfool1

Hey everyone! Bit of a last minute request. I’m actually heading to stay in Glastonbury this weekend and want to walk the site, to the Tor etc.

Tonight I’ve realise my walking boots are nowhere to be found so I’m gonna have to try and pick some up before leaving tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones that will survive the rain/mud of a site walk? Preferably waterproof! The main issue is price as I need to try and keep it under £40-£50 if possible!

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Hey everyone! Bit of a last minute request. I’m actually heading to stay in Glastonbury this weekend and want to walk the site, to the Tor etc.

Tonight I’ve realise my walking boots are nowhere to be found so I’m gonna have to try and pick some up before leaving tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones that will survive the rain/mud of a site walk? Preferably waterproof! The main issue is price as I need to try and keep it under £40-£50 if possible!

Yer standard Sports Direct Karrimor efforts are perfectly cromulent for this kind of thing, if you’re planning on regularly walking/hiking then get something better but if it’s for occasional use then go for em. Your sock choice will be pretty important too - I wear bamboo socks or some mega technical efforts for big hiking events. (I do 20+ mile things a few times a year, which is a pretty standard day at Glastonbury ??

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Yer standard Sports Direct Karrimor efforts are perfectly cromulent for this kind of thing, if you’re planning on regularly walking/hiking then get something better but if it’s for occasional use then go for em. Your sock choice will be pretty important too - I wear bamboo socks or some mega technical efforts for big hiking events. (I do 20+ mile things a few times a year, which is a pretty standard day at Glastonbury ??

Yeah this is it - I’ll only be using them for this weekend really. Maybe the odd walk up PenYFan but don’t think I need anything too expensive. Any idea which may be best?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902031/hi-tec-aysgarth-ii-mid-wp-men-s-walking-boot-15902031

https://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-horizon-waterproof-mid-mens-walking-boots-182772