The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

19 hours ago, AmazingAbby said:

We were surrounded by these this year was a really good way of finding our tent.  

The boyfriend wants a blackout one after the heat this year any recommendations welcome! 

I used space blankets this year, pegged them to the inner tent, was like living in a crisp packet but definitely helped with sleeping in, obviously not as good as a black out tent but a much cheaper option. 

Charm x

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Gotta jump in here and recommend Coleman's blackout tents.

https://www.coleman.eu/uk/c-796-blackout-bedroom-tents.aspx

Especially if its a hot sunny one, this will give you a couple of extra hours of cooler, darker conditions to sleep in.

Thanks for all the recommendations @squirrelarmy @Divein @maelzoid! I was wondering what the Coleman ones were like haven't seen them mentioned as much as the  Quechua’s. Anything will be better than the oven we created this year, I think the only thing that saved us was most tents around us were double the height of ours so we were saved from the sun a bit longer. Had some lovely naps in the green fields in the shade this year though.

@Charm I took actually bought space blankets and left them at home! I also read some people complaining about the constant rustling noise so didn't want to risk angering our camp. 

15 minutes ago, AmazingAbby said:

@maelzoid! I was wondering what the Coleman ones were like

I haven't yet had mine out in really challenging conditions with regard to heat. Certainly as rain proof as is needed. But in overcast conditions, found myself sleeping in til past 9 am. In terms of light, they really work (funny Amazon review, complaining that they are too dark! even though you can unzip a window to let some light in), so I'm just hoping that the heat difference is worthwhile, but it can't be any worse, right?

This is the one I got

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Technology-lightweight-waterproof-groundsheet/dp/B01M31N9FS/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+kobuk&psc=1&qid=1570617303&sr=8-4

Not the best quality tent I've ever had, but certainly vfm...

21 minutes ago, AmazingAbby said:

Thanks for all the recommendations @squirrelarmy @Divein @maelzoid! I was wondering what the Coleman ones were like haven't seen them mentioned as much as the  Quechua’s. Anything will be better than the oven we created this year, I think the only thing that saved us was most tents around us were double the height of ours so we were saved from the sun a bit longer. Had some lovely naps in the green fields in the shade this year though.

@Charm I took actually bought space blankets and left them at home! I also read some people complaining about the constant rustling noise so didn't want to risk angering our camp. 

We camp in Pennards so anyone complaining about noise is a bit silly, maybe put them on the inside of your tent so no one knows it’s you. 

Charm x  

1 hour ago, CeriG said:

Has anyone with children used one of these before? Thinking of getting one for my 7 year old who can be a little sh!t bag at times. I’m worrying about when the crowds get busy travelling from stages to stages. 

3F67F2F1-0188-4925-A7C0-ED57C0ABF9B6.jpeg

I can see this going wrong - in a busy crowd if the child sees something entertaining and runs off or the adult sees the cider bus and makes a sharp turn people around you are going to get taken out. 

On the plus side, if it's long enough you can recreate 101 Dalmatians. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, lukethekid said:

We’ve been looking at this, agreed to sell my current tent to one of our group because we need a bigger tent for meself and Mrs Kid. I’m 6ft 5’ and need something that I can preferably stand up in, anyone used one before? 

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/108114-eurohike-rydal-500-5-person-tent.html/1382974/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istFeedId=e4ff9138-23c5-4427-aa0b-cc0475742ae6&istItemId=wmpmttxrx&istBid=tztx&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_aWvq-N5QIV2eJ3Ch3dUgYBEAQYASABEgL6cfD_BwE

287F0881-981C-4108-9B6B-F285ED487485.jpeg

I've got this tent, couldnt recommend it more highly! Loads of space, loads of clever storage places. Easy to put up and take down. Had mine for nearly 7 years now, taken to at least 2 festivals a year and it's only just starting to get a bit tired. It's done me and my kids proud all this time.

As an after thought, at 6 foot 5, you still wont be able to stand completely upright but it is by far the best height I've had in a tent.

Edited by dirtymookie

57 minutes ago, AmazingAbby said:

I'd recommend the Quencha over Coleman as they will reflect more heat due to the mostly white outer covering.

I was sleeping until 11ish each day in mine this last year (after late nights). My friends were saying that the snoring from my tent was the best advertisement for it as they were baking in their tents. :)

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

My friend brought this to Glasto this year. It’s a great tent. LOADS of room in the front part and the sleeping compartment will comfortably fit 3 of you. I did consider this tent but not sure I can justify the price/size when it’s just 2 of us. 

Thank you for the info.

Yeah it’s a little expensive isn’t it at nearly £150, I plan on putting the money I’m gonna sell my current tent for (£30) towards it and then I’m gonna wait for Black Friday / the January sales to see if there are any deals to be had. Do you think it’s too big for 2 people? Like I said I’m 6ft 5’ and would like something that is a bit bigger than average to hopefully be able to sort of stand in. Also comes in handy to have a bit of a bigger tent because there’ll be more people in it if there’s poor weather (stupid point because we all know there isn’t gonna be any poor weather).

Edited by lukethekid

1 hour ago, dirtymookie said:

I've got this tent, couldnt recommend it more highly! Loads of space, loads of clever storage places. Easy to put up and take down. Had mine for nearly 7 years now, taken to at least 2 festivals a year and it's only just starting to get a bit tired. It's done me and my kids proud all this time.

As an after thought, at 6 foot 5, you still wont be able to stand completely upright but it is by far the best height I've had in a tent.

Cheers for the info. Yeah I sort of guess that I’m not gonna get one that my lanky arse can completely stand in but there does seem to be a helluva lot of headspace. Couple o’ questions if you don’t mind, how has it coped in the rain? Read a couple of reviews that said a couple of them have leaked inside the bedroom. And also the bedroom it obviously isn’t completely blacked out but it does seem to be quite darkened, did it benefit you this year when it was 500° by 8am? 

Thank you. 

Edited by lukethekid

5 hours ago, AmazingAbby said:

Thanks for all the recommendations @squirrelarmy @Divein @maelzoid! I was wondering what the Coleman ones were like haven't seen them mentioned as much as the  Quechua’s.

Couple of discon-tented mentions here, sounds like they don't keep the heat out:

I'm another member of the Quechua F&B fan club (pop-up).

5 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Cheers for the info. Yeah I sort of guess that I’m not gonna get one that my lanky arse can completely stand in but there does seem to be a helluva lot of headspace. Couple o’ questions if you don’t mind, how has it coped in the rain? Read a couple of reviews that said a couple of them have leaked inside the bedroom. And also the bedroom it obviously isn’t completely blacked out but it does seem to be quite darkened, did it benefit you this year when it was 500° by 8am? 

Thank you. 

I've been at a few y nots in torrential rain and mines never let in once! The outer skin is put up as one with the floor built in then the bedroom is pegged/toggled up inside separately so that should never really get any inside. The only prob really is the heat, didnt manage to get a ticket for glasto last year but was at Bluedot the year before and that was just as hot. It did get unbearable by about 10AM. Nothing foil blankets attached on the outside might not help with though?? 

On 10/8/2019 at 4:39 PM, SighMo said:

I’ve been using one of these for myself. Shared it with my son once and was fine but three would be a squeeze. Seen me well for eight festivals over three years. Would highly recommend getting the canopy that goes with it. Great for shelter from sun/rain and good for cooking breakfast under. Mines on the left with the canopy and my friends on right without  

0DD8304A-B076-4392-9580-3BDB31BA9A78.jpeg

9 hours ago, Charm said:

I’ve got this tent, it’s a great size, easy to put up and not too heavy, also has a sewn in groundsheet which is excellent in rubbish weather and keeps the creepy crawlies out, would definitely recommend it. 

Charm x

I think I’m going to pick this one up. My uncle works at Go Outdoors so may be able to get it slightly cheaper with him.

My only concern is if all 4 tents in our group are around this size, even if we face all the doors towards each other, it’s likely someone may chuck a pop up in the middle of them when we’re away from them. In previous years my tent hasn’t been that big which has kept the gap in the middle fairly small.

Have you guys camped in a group with this?

Edited by DareToDibble

2 minutes ago, dirtymookie said:

I've been at a few y nots in torrential rain and mines never let in once! The outer skin is put up as one with the floor built in then the bedroom is pegged/toggled up inside separately so that should never really get any inside. The only prob really is the heat, didnt manage to get a ticket for glasto last year but was at Bluedot the year before and that was just as hot. It did get unbearable by about 10AM. Nothing foil blankets attached on the outside might not help with though?? 

Nice one laa, think I'll be purchasing one but gonna bide my time and see what offers are to be had over Black Friday and if not then then the January sales. ? ?️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Anyone know some good shoes for glasto? I've always worn trainers and my feet are usually destroyed by day 2. Willing to spend a bit

Salamon or Merrell walking type trainers have always served me well. Not overly cheap but have always lasted ages, really comfortable too. 

10 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Anyone know some good shoes for glasto? I've always worn trainers and my feet are usually destroyed by day 2. Willing to spend a bit

Obvs hiking boots of good quality, but I also love my Sanuk shoes for non-wet festivals. I have the pair o' dice ones and they allowed me to walk 15 miles a day at Bonnaroo (Tennessee festival) without blisters. Again, these are dry weather shoes, but they do fit into a small space and weigh next to nothing. 

And I also recommend Darn Tough socks - best put, they made me realize why people own multiple pairs of these $25 socks.

13 minutes ago, beefykoala said:

Obvs hiking boots of good quality, but I also love my Sanuk shoes for non-wet festivals. I have the pair o' dice ones and they allowed me to walk 15 miles a day at Bonnaroo (Tennessee festival) without blisters. Again, these are dry weather shoes, but they do fit into a small space and weigh next to nothing. 

And I also recommend Darn Tough socks - best put, they made me realize why people own multiple pairs of these $25 socks.

$25 for 1 pair of socks!!!

These shoes seem expensive too but I'm willing to part with that as my feet feel broken after every festival I do

Can anyone recomend a lightweight, comfortable camp bed? Yes, I know I'm a princess but honestly I ache so bad after all the walking that a camp bed is definitely a desirable luxury for me. Our problem is we have a big heavy framed double which we complain about dragging through the queue and back to the car every year so woild like something a bit lighter if possible.

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I think I’m going to pick this one up. My uncle works at Go Outdoors so may be able to get it slightly cheaper with him.

My only concern is if all 4 tents in our group are around this size, even if we face all the doors towards each other, it’s likely someone may chuck a pop up in the middle of them when we’re away from them. In previous years my tent hasn’t been that big which has kept the gap in the middle fairly small.

Have you guys camped in a group with this?

We had three tents; you can see two in my picture. The canopy on my tent creates a bit of space and we had the third tent at right-angles to the two you can see. This was on Big Ground on the edge of the path which runs past the Lock-Up tent. Certainly wasn't too rammed.

29 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Can anyone recomend a lightweight, comfortable camp bed? Yes, I know I'm a princess but honestly I ache so bad after all the walking that a camp bed is definitely a desirable luxury for me. Our problem is we have a big heavy framed double which we complain about dragging through the queue and back to the car every year so woild like something a bit lighter if possible.

It depends on your definition of lightweight, but -

I find that the 15-20 quid from Argos / Go Outdoors type are surprisingly comfortable, and not too heavy (~3.5kg). My only real issue with them is that they're quite narrow especially as I mostly sleep on my side, so this year I upgraded to a slightly wider model - this one specifically. However it's also a bit more substantial construction and weighs in at nearly 5kg which for me is pushing it. Can't get a double version of this type though.

You can also get similar one that are lighter and consequently more expensive (2-3kg) - I tried using one a couple times but I found them quite flimsy and specifically found that the way the legs connect mean that they're not very stable and may give way if you move around a lot during the night.

My suggestion would be to visit your local branch of Go Outdoors - they seem to sell a much wider range of camp beds than most places, including a 15 quid basic model and the more expensive lightweight one and (in my local branch at least) they have them all set up and on display so you can try them out.