The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, JC-Mo'Fucka said:

Any recommendations for roll up camping mats? Mine died and looking to get a replacement. Happy to pay the price if it's decent! 

My local Lidl have still got the Crivit Lightweight Camping Mats in stock.  Google them to find out what they are.  I know several people who've bought them on my recommendation and none have been disappointed.  Plus, they're a small fraction of the price of similar offerings from posh camping brands.  You'll need to be quick though - they were on a special a couple of weeks ago so will be getting taken off the shelves any time now.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

50 minutes ago, JC-Mo'Fucka said:

Any recommendations for roll up camping mats? Mine died and looking to get a replacement. Happy to pay the price if it's decent! 

I got a Thermarest self inflating mat a few years ago, packs up tiny and sleep like a log on it. Well worth the investment (disclaimer, I'm not long or heavy)

Therm-a-Rest ProLite Mattress Regular https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NW2W5VK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ySDkDbHVYXQQJ

Just saw the prices for tobacco now in the UK -

https://www.betterretailing.com/tools-and-insights/pricewatch-30-november-2018-rolling-tobacco/

Bought a pouch of tobacco for three euros today in Germany, without a doubt if you're a smoker and you're going on holiday between now and Glasto 2020, buy some backy/cigs and store them away for the festival. If you and your friends all smoke you can easily go through a pouch a day between you (as my friends and I have in the past). Savings could be huge and does away with having to find a stall/shop that sells tobacco on site!

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, lemons said:

Can anyone recommend a 2 man tent for less than £80 available in a high street shop? I need one for this weekend and heavy rain is forecast on at least 1 day.

Your high street may vary, but they've got quite a few stores around London.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-2-xl-freshblack-id_8492485.html

19 minutes ago, lemons said:

Can anyone recommend a 2 man tent for less than £80 available in a high street shop? I need one for this weekend and heavy rain is forecast on at least 1 day.

I would make a trip to Decathalon if its not too far. £80 will get you a decent tent from there.

18 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

I would make a trip to Decathalon if its not too far. £80 will get you a decent tent from there.

9 minutes ago, alanr said:

Or online, next day delivery is £7.99

Standard delivery is free for orders over £30... or you can collect from your local Asda for free too.

11 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I've got an inflatable tent which I love but a giant pump which I don't. Anyone come across one smaller for tents? Everything else I seem to find isn't suitable (I presume it's something to do with PSI's) - anyone got any ideas?

absolutely fair comment ... I had to lend mine out to someone else who's pump didn't last 5 mins .... although the bonus being it was up with only a few pumps 

10 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I've got an inflatable tent which I love but a giant pump which I don't. Anyone come across one smaller for tents? Everything else I seem to find isn't suitable (I presume it's something to do with PSI's) - anyone got any ideas?

Is it one of those Quechua fresh n black tents with a massive bright red Quechua pump thingo? i tried a couple of other pumps and they really weren't working. I think its the fitting that's the issue, plus the 'need' to have it between 5 and 7 psi, which you cant check with a normal common or garden pump. Its bloody annoying cos the Quechua pump is bloody huge, and you only need it for about 90 seconds in total. . .  

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Is it one of those Quechua fresh n black tents with a massive bright red Quechua pump thingo? i tried a couple of other pumps and they really weren't working. I think its the fitting that's the issue, plus the 'need' to have it between 5 and 7 psi, which you cant check with a normal common or garden pump. Its bloody annoying cos the Quechua pump is bloody huge, and you only need it for about 90 seconds in total. . .  

Precisely - it seems such a waste to lug something so big around. I looked at electric alternatives and they all have to be plugged to mains - extremely frustrating!

i've got a battery one which i've had for years, so i thought i'd have a bash at trying to put the tent up using that first off so's i didn't have to spend the £15 on the big red beast - the fitting appears to fit ok, but i think the air doesn't come out at enough of a force to keep the little aperture thing open. Had to get the £15 thing anyways. 

So now when festivalling i take the big red pump, and my little battery pump - i'm like a strange pump nonce, basically ?  but when all my stuff is up and sorted, i can become the air fairy and help everyone around me with their pumpy needs 

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

A little addition to the quecha query .... does anyone have one of these that they managed to make comfortable ? i added a self inflating roll mat but ditched the bed after one night as it was just sinking into the gaps 

big_832941.jpg

WTF is that!

Looks like some kind of waterboarding torture aid!

Which website did you order it from exactly? 

? ?