The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 6/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I hummed and hawed about one of those but wondered if the teeny wee feet would just sink into anything short of concrete or hard baked ground. What do you reckon?

There alright really, if the ground is really soft and the chair sinks, there's always a empty cup or can nearby that you can put the sink leg on.

I never bothered bringing chairs to the festival before I got one of them, small and light enough to fit into the cheap backpacks out of decathlon with a few cans etc

Edited by lukemack

Just now, Drfoxxx said:

Cheers for the heads up.

Sorry for being daft, but how big is 85L? Is it realistically big enough? Can't remember the size I had last time! 

Yeah, 85l is definitely in the larger bracket and should be more than enough.

• Upvote 1

@StLewi thanks for mentioning the Blacks ebay store, I didn't know about it, and had been looking for a new pop up tent for my sons, as the previous one they used has vanished.  

This really is a bargain!  Eurohike Pop 400  Still not sure why it's £20 cheaper than on the Blacks main site?  Am I being slow?  Ordered anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

@StLewi thanks for mentioning the Blacks ebay store, I didn't know about it, and had been looking for a new pop up tent for my sons, as the previous one they used has vanished.  

This really is a bargain!  Eurohike Pop 400  Still not sure why it's £20 cheaper than on the Blacks main site?  Am I being slow?  Ordered anyway.

No worries. I think the main site often has discount codes to reduce the prices, but the eBay store seems to have everything at the discounted prices all the time.

Edited by StLewi

23 hours ago, mufcok said:

Anyone got any experience with the iposible power bank on there? I'm due a new one, can't decide between that or the 20100 anker one that's a bit more expensive

I've gone for this one because I'm a cheap bastard. Reviews are solid (although not as good as the Anker) - fingers crossed I don't regret it.

6 hours ago, StLewi said:

Back's eBay store have the 85l Eurohike rucksack back in stock for under £20! Bargain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132816621496 

Nice! I was literally about to buy it here - https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133672-eurohike-trek-85l-backpack.html 

and had come to this thread to announce that Millets has 20% off.  

Still, 20% off at Millets at the moment!

On another note, I'm slightly worried that 85L will be too big for me. I have never ever carried a bag that big

Edited by svphie

1 hour ago, svphie said:

Nice! I was literally about to buy it here - https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133672-eurohike-trek-85l-backpack.html 

and had come to this thread to announce that Millets has 20% off.  

Still, 20% off at Millets at the moment!

On another note, I'm slightly worried that 85L will be too big for me. I have never ever carried a bag that big

85l is absolutely massive. I backpacked se Asia for 4 months with a 50l one! 

On the plus side you dont have to fill it up

Edited by marcwilson87

1 hour ago, marcwilson87 said:

85l is absolutely massive. I backpacked se Asia for 4 months with a 50l one! 

On the plus side you dont have to fill it up

okay, you've made me doubt it now. think 65l might be the way to go.

18 minutes ago, svphie said:

okay, you've made me doubt it now. think 65l might be the way to go.

This might help your decision. I take this 25l one and it's fine for me. I pack fairly light and I attach a sleeping bag and extra sleeping cover on the outside. 

15597640149897920392232764682492.jpg

Edited by marcwilson87
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Sorry if been said but anyone recommend a popup tent for 4 (2 separate bays)?

Thank you in advance.

That's probably too big an ask.

If you want to go pop-up, they start to get unmanageable once you go bigger than 3-man (for a realistic maximum of 2 people). What you're describing was on the market briefly when pop-up tents started to become popular, but I don't think I've seen anything like that for at least 5+ years. Going to either have to get a more traditional style tent or split down into separate tents.

I got a 300 lumens lantern and and decent small hand torch from millets for £6 all in today.

They have a few bits and bobs around the till that are heavily reduced if you buy anything in the shop.

The lantern was £3.50 and torch £2.50, I bought one of those metal clips (I can’t remember the name, starts with C) for 50p to get them reduced. 

9 hours ago, incident said:

That's probably too big an ask.

If you want to go pop-up, they start to get unmanageable once you go bigger than 3-man (for a realistic maximum of 2 people). What you're describing was on the market briefly when pop-up tents started to become popular, but I don't think I've seen anything like that for at least 5+ years. Going to either have to get a more traditional style tent or split down into separate tents.

We have one.  I'm not sure why they retired them, as once you got the hang of putting it down they were really good.  They seem to have gone for inflatable ones now, with the same layout.  Our friends have got one of these, and rave about them.  The ease of the pop up, but easier to put down.

It's a bit pricey, but with the Fresh & Black, I've only heard good things about it.  @danbailey80 - Decathlon 4 Man Air

11 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Thank you in advance.

You can get the old tent pole Quechua 4.2 XL seconds pop ups tents on ebay from time to time. They're not super cheap still though. 

On 6/5/2019 at 8:56 PM, danbailey80 said:

Thank you in advance.

I have a Gelert Twister 5. Its HUGE for a pop up tent. I've had it years and the only problem is getting back in the bag but I have the knack now, just takes practice. I would defo reccomend it....and you can stand up in it 

Edited by Sezz