The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 5/27/2019 at 5:17 PM, DareToDibble said:

We've used one of these before, they're really good. Although it was HORRENDOUS in 2016.

Am I right in saying we won't be allowed to bring one of those on the transfer coach from the drop & collect point?

They said that last time (2017)... but plenty of people had them and just stuffed them into the baggage hold with no questions asked.

Edited by gazariath

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good trolley? 

Our usual rule is "if we can't carry it, we don't take it" but Mrs C has picked up an injury which will really hinder her ability to carry much. 

There's still 4 weeks to go so she may be OK by then, but if not I may invest in a trolley. 

What say you good people? 

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sealskinz have some of their waterproof socks (and other things) at half price: https://www.sealskinz.com/monthly-deals

Still not particularly cheap (£19 a pair), but they’ve been praised a lot on here over the years.

fantastic bits of kit ... you can dance happily in puddles with these and keep dry feet ... worth every penny especially half price I would purchase some but mine are still going after many years of use ... good spot :) 

16 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good trolley? 

Our usual rule is "if we can't carry it, we don't take it" but Mrs C has picked up an injury which will really hinder her ability to carry much. 

There's still 4 weeks to go so she may be OK by then, but if not I may invest in a trolley. 

What say you good people? 

Not cheap, but apparently this is great for all types of terrain. Only used it down the park so far, and seems good - you can take kerbs and bumps at an angle without it tipping. 

https://www.handiworld.com/handimoova/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf94ewdbtGOX6YsL1Tdsi4gbOf1ccvsuUW4EQpE-4KPLZ-EkTsHDJiAgaAo3zEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

I've got one of these. Ok to sleep on but be prepared for a struggle putting it together; especially the first time.

Yeh the reviews seem to suggest it’s a ball ache to put together. I’m gonna have a test run today and spray a bit of WD40 at the ends. Hopefully that speeds things up.

12 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

fantastic bits of kit ... you can dance happily in puddles with these and keep dry feet ... worth every penny especially half price I would purchase some but mine are still going after many years of use ... good spot :) 

Are they thick enough to wear in wellies?

1 hour ago, lexlogic said:

Yeh the reviews seem to suggest it’s a ball ache to put together. I’m gonna have a test run today and spray a bit of WD40 at the ends. Hopefully that speeds things up.

Don't think WD40 will help; may just make you slip and lose and eye. Once you've got the side rails in, put on side of a leg in and then kneel down on the side you've just put in, reach across and really firmly grip and pull the other end towards you with both hands. There is a knack and it does get easier.

• Upvote 1

Just been to B&M Stores. 

Bought:

Camping mallet - £1.50

10 pack of Pickled Onion Space Raiders - £1

5 pack of Chip Shop Salt n Vinegar crisp/biccies - £50

10 pack of generic breakfast bars - £1

10 pack of mini-cereals (eat from the box) - £2

Camping blanket with waterproof underside (essential when I have my 3 year old daughter with me) - £4.99

Metal camping mug - £1

Mini-toothpaste, Mini-mouthwash, lip balm £can’t remember. 

My pile - other than clothes - is pretty much complete. 

7 hours ago, Dixo said:

Anyone seen any cheap day backpacks around?

Decathlon have some really cheap backpacks, the 10L one is pretty small but you can get a few day drinks and all your essentials in. Alternatively, there's a 20L version which is still pretty cheap. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-10l-hiking-backpack-blue-id_8502149.html

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Woffy said:

Just been to B&M Stores. 

Bought:

Camping mallet - £1.50

10 pack of Pickled Onion Space Raiders - £1

5 pack of Chip Shop Salt n Vinegar crisp/biccies - £50

10 pack of generic breakfast bars - £1

10 pack of mini-cereals (eat from the box) - £2

Camping blanket with waterproof underside (essential when I have my 3 year old daughter with me) - £4.99

Metal camping mug - £1

Mini-toothpaste, Mini-mouthwash, lip balm £can’t remember. 

My pile - other than clothes - is pretty much complete. 

You've been had off there. ? 

Asda have got camp chairs in 2 for £12.

This chair is ridiculously small and light when packed down and reasonably comfortable.

(Strictly for use at the campsite, maybe out and about, most definitely not for plonking in front of Pyramid from 10am and not shifting as crowds form around you)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-camping-chair/p/083364293370302?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw583nBRBwEiwA7MKvoPbR7wcwJ2VDcTQalz3Q_WdZhSlKIVn7LKPKXdq4gOIRQ3AqtMfNCxoCPRMQAvD_BwE

3 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I hummed and hawed about one of those but wondered if the teeny wee feet would just sink into anything short of concrete or hard baked ground. What do you reckon?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901563/oex-ultra-lite-camping-chair-15901563

This is a really nice one and won't sink in the mud but a bit pricey. Folds up really small as well.

36 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

Less than a week after I bought one from them at full price. Bastards :lol:

Not sure if these have been posted, but wondered what people make of these -

https://www.reelbrands.co.uk/reeltent

I feel it would be akin to sleeping in some sort of weird rabbit hutch - but I also hate packing up a tent at the end of the weekend.

Edit: and they don't seem to be for sale currently.. so who knows if its a bargain at all and should be banished to some sort of 'plastic free' thread!

Capture.PNG

Edited by grilladelphia

1 hour ago, TabulaRasa said:

Thank you! Been putting off buying one of these and just secured the 10 000 mAh one :)