The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Here:

https://www.therange.co.uk/

Not sure how countrywide they are. Just assumed there were. 

Bastards! 

(I meant £1!!!)

You’ve just reminded me there’s a brand spanking new one right by my work, been a few places this last week and didn’t think of the Range at all. Finally got a reason to check it out. 

2 hours ago, Bza said:

Got my decathlon order through the other day and tested to Quecha camp bed 60.

Its brilliant. Dead comfy, esp when doubled up with a roll mat on top. I'm going to get the best sleep I've ever had at a festival. 

20quid. 5.5kg in weight but bag has a shoulder strap so not too difficult to carry in. 

Sits 20cm off the ground so good for people with smaller tents. 

Also treated myself to one of their 9.99 camping chairs which is really good. My last Quecha chair has held strong for the last 13 Glastonburys so hoping this one does the same! 

zoom_1116572.jpg

Edit - I don't work for Decathlon but I wish I did. Imagine the staff discount... ???

I took something similar in the late 90s-ish. Comfy as hell but 5kg is pretty much the weight of a decent 3-person tent. So it's the age old toss-up between how much stuff you wanna lug in (and out!) and how comfy you want to be when you get there, i guess.

1 hour ago, HeyPorter said:

You’ve just reminded me there’s a brand spanking new one right by my work, been a few places this last week and didn’t think of the Range at all. Finally got a reason to check it out. 

Really decent camping section - more than just the 'little stuff' i posted pics of earlier. Decent mummy sleeping bags, mats, inflatable matresses, pumps, etc.

We only went in for a look around for decorating / housy-type stuff.

Bought a camping spork - sucessful morning! 

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

I took something similar in the late 90s-ish. Comfy as hell but 5kg is pretty much the weight of a decent 3-person tent. So it's the age old toss-up between how much stuff you wanna lug in (and out!) and how comfy you want to be when you get there, i guess.

Can get camp beds of a similar style that come in a lot lighter - the trade off usually being that the lighter they are, the more expensive they are and can be (or at least, feel) less stable as they may use fewer supports or aluminium instead of steel.

But yeah, if you're prepared to spend the money, under 2kg is definitely achievable which puts them in the same range as most airbeds.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Can get camp beds of a similar style that come in a lot lighter - the trade off usually being that the lighter they are, the more expensive they are and can be (or at least, feel) less stable as they may use fewer supports or aluminium instead of steel.

But yeah, if you're prepared to spend the money, under 2kg is definitely achievable which puts them in the same range as most airbeds.

Spoken like an expert, Incident!

I'm now inflatable matresses all the way - plus you get that disorientating 'still feel like your sleeping on an inflatable matress feeling' even after you been at home sleeping in your own bed 3 days after the festival!

14 minutes ago, Bza said:

Very true. I've been taking a sack truck for years though and that makes a huge difference for lugging things in. 

Although lugging the trolly through the 2016 mud round Ped gate D nearly brought me to tears. 

Also figured out today that the camp bed will fit in the back of my car with the seats down, might actually get a few hours sleep in the car park Tuesday night. That'll be a novelty. 

OH, COME ON BZA! If you arrive at the car park on Tuesday night - get in the queue (if it's not hooning it down)!

I've also sacked off the sack truck. Never again. That said, I only take 12 cans these days. NB: I'm old.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, Rum Ham said:

Does anyone know of any camping chairs that fold up/ store away quite compactly or smaller than usual. Which are still big enough for a 6'2"er.

Preferably with beer holder arms!

These are great and super light. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0716BC98Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Rum Ham said:

Does anyone know of any camping chairs that fold up/ store away quite compactly or smaller than usual. Which are still big enough for a 6'2"er.

Preferably with beer holder arms!

I'm 6'3" and have bought myself one of these 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901561/oex-ultra-lite-camping-chair-15901561

Cheaper than what I paid at the moment (but I had some reward vouchers from work to use) and whilst ain't been tested in a field in Somerset seems very comfy 

8 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

Can I just ask...

I’m looking at ways of getting all my gear in to the campsite. Going solo.

Are these types of trolleys to be avoided or are they actually alright?

Only £15.99 on ebay.

AC9308BE-E996-49A2-8B82-E97BF43DC9E9.jpeg

It will die if you put much weight in it.

4 hours ago, TabulaRasa said:

Can I just ask...

Only £15.99 on ebay.

We took a rubbish trolley for our first Glastonbury it didn't survive and left us worse off as we then had to carry it. Either don't use one or get a proper one. 

Has anyone got any other rucksack recommendations? Left it too late with the Blacks one, seems to have been taken down now.

Had mine for years but the waist support is terrible, need to try and ease the load this time 

9 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Has anyone got any other rucksack recommendations? Left it too late with the Blacks one, seems to have been taken down now.

Had mine for years but the waist support is terrible, need to try and ease the load this time 

Millets still have one of sale £50 to £21.25 with code TAKE15

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133671-eurohike-trek-65l-backpack.html

On 5/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, TabulaRasa said:

Can I just ask...

Only £15.99 on ebay.

AC9308BE-E996-49A2-8B82-E97BF43DC9E9.jpeg

I’ve used one from Argos for the past two times I’ve been and it’s been fine, in the mud I’ve ended up dragging it but it’s held together with a crate in there and some plastic 2 litre bottles of spirits, just gotta duct tape it to the framing so it doesn’t fall apart! The industrial one will definitely be better quality tho 

2 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

we use some cheapo one from Argos usually £15 or so i think - use it to carry tent + beers from coach to camp.

the poor little thing has usually disintegrated by the time we get to our camp space but bless it, it really does help us out while its with us!

the thing about these cheap type trolleys is they are one time use only - they WILL help you while they can, but they WILL have fallen apart by the time you get to where you're going - only use them to carry what you would be able to carry without them.

Not great for the environment though. The ever growing landfills of this country are probably full of these things from festival season ?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

:These come highly recommended and just a pound

https://www.poundland.co.uk/ground-sheet-2-metres

I’ve got one of those. Don’t do what I did in 2016, get it out of your rucksack, lay it on the floor, only to realise you’ve picked up the washing line cover which is made of the same material by mistake. No sitting down on a sheet that’s about 10cm by a metre!

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any recommendations on a little day-pack? I got this for 2017, and it saw me through Boomtown and Shambala, but is 100% NOT waterproof (and I lost one phone into the festival phone-abyss during a Boomtown storm because of it)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VWS8LO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any suggestions welcome :)

I've also been wondering if a bum-bag would prevent me from losing my phone. Is this a good idea? Not sure it would really go with any of my planned outfits, but maybe that doesn't matter.....

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a little day-pack? I got this for 2017, and it saw me through Boomtown and Shambala, but is 100% NOT waterproof (and I lost one phone into the festival phone-abyss during a Boomtown storm because of it)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VWS8LO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any suggestions welcome :)

I've also been wondering if a bum-bag would prevent me from losing my phone. Is this a good idea? Not sure it would really go with any of my planned outfits, but maybe that doesn't matter.....

A bum bag makes all the difference! A place to put anti-bac gel, your phone, a portable charger, some money, an emergency poncho. Definitely would recommend.