The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

40 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

The very good point you make is the wet wipes.... I have been pondering this as I point blank refuse to go and shower.  How to maintain the minimal semblance of cleanliness without resorting to a wet wipe 'tent shower'... any advice welcome (or is there a more appropriate thread I should be posing this question?)

They are banning wet wipes?

There's a couple of ways around getting clean without using wet wipes / makeshift shower, there's this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muc-Off-118-Dry-Shower/dp/B076PT3XD2/ref=asc_df_B076PT3XD2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310754896709&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11883211806612113275&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046558&hvtargid=pla-563305423390&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

which is a 'dry' shower.  It does a reasonable job of cleaning and leaves you smelling like coconuts.  It struggles to get dried mud off you but that's hardly surprising.  

Otherwise, using hand sanitizer gel on the arm pits goes a long way to get rid of any funky smells.  Obviously it's not to used anywhere near any sensitive areas.

23 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

They are banning wet wipes?

No... just taking minimizing my environmental impact to the next step.... wet wipes hang around a looong time in the environment and the only time I use them is at glasto.

That dry shower looks good, I love coconuts

29 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

No... just taking minimizing my environmental impact to the next step.... wet wipes hang around a looong time in the environment and the only time I use them is at glasto.

That dry shower looks good, I love coconuts

Ah great.  Are the 100% biodegradable ones any better?   I assume that they are but I guess in a long enough time frame, most things are biodegradable so not sure if that 100% claim holds any real weight

Yeah the dry shower is pretty good, though sometimes can leave a sticky residue on you if it's not properly wiped off

22 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Ah great.  Are the 100% biodegradable ones any better?   I assume that they are but I guess in a long enough time frame, most things are biodegradable so not sure if that 100% claim holds any real weight 

They should be better.

The main problem with regular Wet Wipes is that they have a surprisingly high amount of plastic in them, essentially acting as threads / framework to stop the moist material from falling apart, and so they can't break down to anywhere near the level you'd want or expect.

There is at least one company (Natracare) that claims to make wipes that are 100% biodegradable, flushable, etc and has passed tests to prove it, but I've no idea how good they are in practice.

I take this ... its a bit of a luxury but the feeling of being semi clean and a cold shower is great after a heavy night .. and it was great in the queue filled with ice cold water last time ... it goes in my bike trailer so my body doesn't really take the weight of it full ... that and some eco shower gel 

2 hours ago, incident said:

They should be better.

The main problem with regular Wet Wipes is that they have a surprisingly high amount of plastic in them, essentially acting as threads / framework to stop the moist material from falling apart, and so they can't break down to anywhere near the level you'd want or expect.

There is at least one company (Natracare) that claims to make wipes that are 100% biodegradable, flushable, etc and has passed tests to prove it, but I've no idea how good they are in practice.

The Glastonbury website is asking people to not even bring biodegradable wipes for the reasons mentioned above. My other half manages a water treatment plant and wipes are the bane of his life. They may well “flush” but they clog up pipes and reservoirs before they have a chance to degrade. If you must use them don’t let them get in the water system, bin them. I used cheap e-cloths (microfibre cloths in cleaning section of supermarket) with either water or baby lotion for my youngest. Cheap and light enough to have a fresh one for every day

D290103A-ED20-4084-8AA7-2206501E9115.jpeg

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare
Added clarification in brackets
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I take this ... its a bit of a luxury but the feeling of being semi clean and a cold shower is great after a heavy night .. and it was great in the queue filled with ice cold water last time ... it goes in my bike trailer so my body doesn't really take the weight of it full ... that and some eco shower gel 

We have bought this light as anything and with a decent spray 

9084129c-cf94-47ad-b769-b559dc60de74.jpg

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

We have bought this light as anything and with a decent spray 

9084129c-cf94-47ad-b769-b559dc60de74.jpg

yep that looks good ... might need topping up but they work well ... it was only heavy as I took it loaded with ice cold water ... empty its fine :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

7 hours ago, Kay95 said:

Generally I agree - but the last thing I expect to lose is the actual bag.... various contents yes but not the bag.

The very good point you make is the wet wipes.... I have been pondering this as I point blank refuse to go and shower.  How to maintain the minimal semblance of cleanliness without resorting to a wet wipe 'tent shower'... any advice welcome (or is there a more appropriate thread I should be posing this question?).

By the way, Millets has an extra 20% off 'tents and camping' at the moment

I would usually get a bucket and just use a towel.. Great when it's nice weather a bit annoying when raining but your clean in a mo.. Also if you want to do your hair carry a small bottle of shampoo with you as you are on your adventures. Then when you see a free tap whaam in there head down wash and go... Again LOVELY if weather nice and if its R.. NIng well your wet already. 

The OTHER WAY which I noticed last year is to go to the boutique near the Beat hotel... But hey remember your at a festival not a glammer show.... Last year me and the wife watched as some pretty girls who had had there face, nails and hair done................................. Walked out of the said bouquet straight into the rain lololol 

I’ve always taken a small stove and kettle. Every morning boil enough water for a cup of tea and then enough to fill a small bowl that I then wash myself head to toe with using flannel. Obviously solo camping helps but then once that’s done on couple of occasions have used water to wash hair. Feel as fresh as a shower once dry. Defo couldn’t survive without this ritual ! 

I’ve always taken a small stove and kettle. Every morning boil enough water for a cup of tea and then enough to fill a small bowl that I then wash myself head to toe with using flannel. Obviously solo camping helps but then once that’s done on couple of occasions have used water to wash hair. Feel as fresh as a shower once dry. Defo couldn’t survive without this ritual ! 

Wiping yourself with wetwipes and thinking it does anything close to showering is delusion I'm afraid, you might fool yourself but that's about it. I buy the compostable ones and use them to wipe my arse. Plenty of time for showering when I'm not at glasto

56 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Any good deals on powerbanks?

I bought this one in 2017, think someone recommended it on here. Charged it the Tuesday and was nowhere near empty on Monday. Bit heavy but just left it in the tent and charged my phone at night. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GJFNQYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

53 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075JGGR1Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£38 but there's a voucher there which knocks £16 off. Big capacity as well, should be enough to charge your phone a few times.

I bought the older version of that (no USB-C) last time and it lasted all weekend for two phones!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Any recommendations on solar chargers? I'm optimistic we'll have a mostly sunny one this year 

Generally rubbish. Limited to no use in overcast conditions and still take hours to charge if you get direct sunlight, assuming you're not moving around much. 

You'd be much better off with a high capacity powerbank. 

Edited by hurdy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Any recommendations on solar chargers? I'm optimistic we'll have a mostly sunny one this year 

Bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone-Solar-Chargers/24000mAh-OLEBR-portable-capacity-Devices-RED-Red-Black/B071GKH2Y4

Wasn't the cheapest one, but thought it'd be good. Battery is fine, solar charging simply doesn't work.

• Like 1