The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

15 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I like the look of those bottles @crazyfool1

The issue I want to address for myself this year is that of a bag on site. Last time out, our group took it in turns to carry a back pack with them loaded with drinks etc. We usually just took a BIG bottle of spirits to be fair and bought beers from bars - but wondering if there is an alternative to a bag...

Probably not that'll will be easier, thus answering my own ramblings!

Ive got a neoprene sleeve that holds 4 cans and keeps them cool but cant track down a link for you at the moment :( Ive had it a few years but its good for storing small amounts of cider / lager and lighter than carrying a big bag round and accessible from the front too 

4 hours ago, K2SO said:

Looks okay, but the wheels seem very small. Would they not just break?

Current one we have used since 2014 is a stand-up fishing trolley. Only problem with that is, I used to just take my stuff, but have been going with my girlfriend the last couple of years and it's too small for both of us

Hi I had one of those from 2009 to last year, used on c 2/3 festivals a year and was fine. It did the mud and the desert conditions fine at Glastonbury and elsewhere. We loaded it up a lot, if it is too high it can tip over if you are a bit reckless in driving.  But it didn’t break. Unfortunately my mates 11 year old son  and his mates did for it by simulating chariot race battles last year ?

https://magicmirroruk.com/product/black-gold/?utm_source=Website+Subscribers&utm_campaign=1114ce226c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_26_12_32_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c55a930653-1114ce226c-265031589

These are actually fantastic for Glastonbury - a really clear image acrylic mirror which folds to stand on its own as a face mirror, or opens out as a full length mirror!

Not especially cheap but still a bargain - mine goes everywhere with me now whether I’m camping or not!

22 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I like the look of those bottles @crazyfool1

The issue I want to address for myself this year is that of a bag on site. Last time out, our group took it in turns to carry a back pack with them loaded with drinks etc. We usually just took a BIG bottle of spirits to be fair and bought beers from bars - but wondering if there is an alternative to a bag...

Probably not that'll will be easier, thus answering my own ramblings!

I use a hydration backpack, they are tiny and fit nicely against the back so wouldn’t bother anyone in a crowd. Mine usually hold the bladder (filled with 2/3 litres of gin and tonic), 3 or 4 cans of beer, a rain Mac, tissues and a few other small bits and pieces.

For anyone who has a small/pop-up tent without a decent-sized porch (or anyone who just wants more room without shelling out for a new tent), a fellow eFester recommended a Vango gear store. They are pretty compact/light but sizeable when erect and have enough room for all your gear and a chair or two. Ideal if you're sharing a smaller tent.

RRP is apparently £70+, but this eBay shop is selling them for £33. 

45337-0511151130081886969346.jpg

Edited by StLewi
  • Upvote 1

On 3/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, K2SO said:

We are looking for a good trolley that will survive Glasto (and other fests) for a few years. Big enough for 2 or 3 people. Anyone got any suggestions?

We have one like this which has been used for 5 years and it's absolutely solid. Collapses down to fit in the boot...put a few screws in when you arrive and you're off. A few bungee cords and you can load this up. Seen them for £89.00 - £119.00 from Greenfingers.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.40.37.png

3 hours ago, StLewi said:

For anyone who has a small/pop-up tent without a decent-sized porch (or anyone who just wants more room without shelling out for a new tent), a fellow eFester recommended a Vango gear store. They are pretty compact/light but sizeable when erect and have enough room for all your gear and a chair or two. Ideal if you're sharing a smaller tent.

Thanks for this, think this is what I'll get for my Quechua 3 man pop-up, I'm assuming it'll fit.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, I am Jon said:

Another person looking at camping mat options, need to replace our 10 year old self inflating double Vango. Don't trust it to last out another year as it already has a few patches on it.

Looking at these 2:

Just ordered a Klymit Insulated Double V for £66.46 on amazon :)

It's the more expensive insulated version than I listed above, was £100+ last time I looked. Seems to have good reduction at moment + today's £5 amazon discount. Packs a lot smaller / lighter 1.6kg than a standard self inflating mat. Bit nervous it might leak but looks like Klymit are a decent brand. Will test it out before the festival anyhow.

Edited by I am Jon

21 hours ago, StLewi said:

now ordered - we're calling it the comfort bottle/travel jane extension!

• Upvote 1

I am greatly tempted by one of these blackout tents

81jaLCcjYwL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Technology-Essential-waterproof-groundsheet/dp/B078PN55S6/ref=sr_1_1?s=camping-hiking&ie=UTF8&qid=1553191715&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AColeman

Normally I would chuck my sleeping bag over my tent for shade and a little coolness.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, StLewi said:

Tested this out over the weekend on a F&B 3-man and it pretty much doubles the size of the tent. Tiny package, so not much extra to carry - easily sit two people on chairs inside it. You'll need to be careful with keeping it tight because there is a small potential for sagging in the middle if there were an absolute downpour. Also, not entirely sure how much it will conspire to heat up the tent in the morning.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stephos83 said:

Had a Lidl sleeping mat for 3 Glastonburys. Still do but changed to a more compact Mat / Airbed hybrid kind of thing.

Excellent thickness to price ratio and preferred to standard airbed. A little bulky if thats an issue but would recommend otherwise

18 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

*deleted wrong stuff about how big it actually is*

...it’s bigger than I first realised, but still only a large 2 man at best.

Edited by Bradders