The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've got a double one of these and can't sing it's praises enough. Sturdy and lightweight - what more do you need? I bought mine second hand off ebay, which saved a few pence. At festivals, my wife insists on covering it with a clean white table cloth, and then putting a three pronged candelabra in the middle complete with candles. It / we do get some funny looks as a result of this.

I love this idea. Won't rob the idea directly but something rather decadent and ridiculous sounds right up my street. :D 

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The past two years I've just blagged it in terms of sleeping arrangements but my back is always haggered by the end of it. Definitely in need of a mat next year. Currently looking at this - https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/059267-berghaus-peak-compact-self-inflating-mat.html

Does anyone have any recommendations or anything similar that they've used and had great success with? Looking for something that is light, can be packed down and is 10/10 comfy.

I wouldn't go for that as the thickness is the important aspect.  They usually come in 3cm, 5cm or 10cm sizes and the 10cm ones are fantastic.  I purchased mine on eBay for around 25-30 pounds a few years back and they allegedly retail at closer to 100.  Here's an example to look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Inflating-Camping-Mat-Inflatable-Sleeping-Roll-Mattress-10cm-Extra-Thick/142266860406?epid=543789926&hash=item211fc40376:m:mcmiFFlKeD4N9qDUYQi9ogw:rk:3:pf:0

52 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

I wouldn't go for that as the thickness is the important aspect.  They usually come in 3cm, 5cm or 10cm sizes and the 10cm ones are fantastic.  I purchased mine on eBay for around 25-30 pounds a few years back and they allegedly retail at closer to 100.  Here's an example to look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Inflating-Camping-Mat-Inflatable-Sleeping-Roll-Mattress-10cm-Extra-Thick/142266860406?epid=543789926&hash=item211fc40376:m:mcmiFFlKeD4N9qDUYQi9ogw:rk:3:pf:0

Oh, that's great! Thanks. I was looking at branded mats and they were coming back quite expensive. I don't mind as long as it's decent but on another look, even the thinner ones seem pricey. Is this the one you have used? Seems a real bargain.

33 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Oh, that's great! Thanks. I was looking at branded mats and they were coming back quite expensive. I don't mind as long as it's decent but on another look, even the thinner ones seem pricey. Is this the one you have used? Seems a real bargain.

Mine are branded and I did loads of searching on eBay to get the right deal and they've been worth their weight in gold.  I'll pop in the garage and find out the makes as can't go back that far on my eBay history.

9 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

Mine are branded and I did loads of searching on eBay to get the right deal and they've been worth their weight in gold.  I'll pop in the garage and find out the makes as can't go back that far on my eBay history.

Cheers buddy, appreciate that.

22 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

One of mine is a Skandika but not sure about the other.  I paid approx 25-30 on an eBay auction.

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello H.M.V.

Feel free to rob the idea directly. We can start a movement (if you'll excuse the expression) to bring a bit more class to the festival scene.:)

When I was a young one, we went to Paris. Pere Lachaise for a wander around and find Oscar Wildes grave. We had brought a smoke with us to have at Jim Morrisons grave, cliche I know and cliche it turned out to be. Loads of gobshites there including meself so decided to save it. Went to see Oscar who is my favourite writer of all time. I thought him being a decadent sort he would appreciate the sentiment of sharing a smoke with him. 

So later on in the day we got lost in Paris and were desperately thirsty (for wine) and hungry. So we turned a corner and lo and behold we happened to be on Rue de Beaux Arts which housed Hotel D'alsace which is where my beloved poet had spent his last days and where he uttered the lines 'either that wallpaper goes or I do' 

Obviously we stopped for a bottle of wine and soaked up the atmosphere. Anyway the point of the story was, I am ashamed to say I did take a token souvenir with me that wasn't exactly on sale.

It was a lovely single stem silver vase. I kept it for years and cherished it but one move too many meant it lost. I wish I could have it on my fold out table at Glastonbury. 

18 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

When I was a young one, we went to Paris. Pere Lachaise for a wander around and find Oscar Wildes grave. We had brought a smoke with us to have at Jim Morrisons grave, cliche I know and cliche it turned out to be. Loads of gobshites there including meself so decided to save it. Went to see Oscar who is my favourite writer of all time. I thought him being a decadent sort he would appreciate the sentiment of sharing a smoke with him. 

So later on in the day we got lost in Paris and were desperately thirsty (for wine) and hungry. So we turned a corner and lo and behold we happened to be on Rue de Beaux Arts which housed Hotel D'alsace which is where my beloved poet had spent his last days and where he uttered the lines 'either that wallpaper goes or I do' 

Obviously we stopped for a bottle of wine and soaked up the atmosphere. Anyway the point of the story was, I am ashamed to say I did take a token souvenir with me that wasn't exactly on sale.

It was a lovely single stem silver vase. I kept it for years and cherished it but one move too many meant it lost. I wish I could have it on my fold out table at Glastonbury. 

Nice story, but such a shame that the vase went walkies (again!). Aren't you doing a European road trip next year? Maybe you could pop back in to the Hotel D'alsace and 'obtain' a replacement.  Just a thought. 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice story, but such a shame that the vase went walkies (again!). Aren't you doing a European road trip next year? Maybe you could pop back in to the Hotel D'alsace and 'obtain' a replacement.  Just a thought. 

We are arranging a road trip but unfortunately the Hotel as it was is no more. It underwent a huge refurb and I doubt I could afford a glass of wine in it anymore. At least I still have the old pictures. It had a tree growing through the salon/lounge. I only have 'real' pictures if it. 

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

We are arranging a road trip but unfortunately the Hotel as it was is no more. It underwent a huge refurb and I doubt I could afford a glass of wine in it anymore. At least I still have the old pictures. It had a tree growing through the salon/lounge. I only have 'real' pictures if it. 

That's a shame. I've lost loads of stuff in house moves - most pertinent is those little candle boats that they sell at Glastonbury. I've bought loads of them over the years, and lost exactly the same amount.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's a shame. I've lost loads of stuff in house moves - most pertinent is those little candle boats that they sell at Glastonbury. I've bought loads of them over the years, and lost exactly the same amount.

im sure plenty of people can pick one  up for you ... is the stand still there ?

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sure plenty of people can pick one  up for you ... is the stand still there ?

Hello crazyfool1,

I've kind of 'out grown' the need for one of those little boats. The stand has always been there when I have gone, although my last visit was 2013 (I think!). I think they run the stall as a fund raiser for a building project for a mill that they are (or were) renovating. The last time I saw the stall it was on one of the walkways leading up to the Stone Circle.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello crazyfool1,

I've kind of 'out grown' the need for one of those little boats. The stand has always been there when I have gone, although my last visit was 2013 (I think!). I think they run the stall as a fund raiser for a building project for a mill that they are (or were) renovating. The last time I saw the stall it was on one of the walkways leading up to the Stone Circle.

ive always looked at it and thought ... i must buy one of those but never have ... it probably is still there .. but things are often hazy at Glastonbury :) and I do tend to get them all mixed up which year was what these days 

31 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and I do tend to get them all mixed up which year was what these days 

You are preaching to the converted - I can't even remember the first year that I attended Glastonbury. I asked one of my mates if he knew what year it was, and he jst gave me a look which kind of said 'How the fck am I spposssed to know'! :)

It's 9.44kg and you will also need to purchase  a pump which is an additional £10 or £15, depending on make/model. Guessing the pump adds another 1kg to the weight but it can also be used to inflate airbeds.

I quite like the concept of inflatable tents and the reviews seem good, though some users report condensation issues inside the tent on the inflated beams. Personally I want to see more reviews after multiple uses of the tent before investing in one. However if you're looking for a tent to do 1 or 2 festivals they look a great buy at that price.

Edited by Lycra

On 11/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, HeyPorter said:

20 hours ago, duke88 said:

On 11/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, HeyPorter said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-family-4-xl-fb-id_8384154.html

Been waiting for this for ages, Quechua 4 man air xl fresh & black for only £100. Was 160 for a while. 

20 hours ago, duke88 said:

I’m tempted! Would only be me in it though, how big and heavy is it to carry in?

It's 9.44kg and you will also need to purchase  a pump which is an additional £10 or £15, depending on make/model. Guessing the pump adds another 1kg to the weight but it can also be used to inflate airbeds.

I quite like the concept of inflatable tents and the reviews seem good, though some users report condensation issues inside the tent on the inflated beams. Personally I want to see more reviews after multiple uses of the tent before investing in one. However if you're looking for a tent to do 1 or 2 festivals they look a great buy at that price.

Edited by Lycra

On 11/24/2018 at 3:12 PM, duke88 said:

I’m tempted! Would only be me in it though, how big and heavy is it to carry in?

Pretty big, and pretty heavy, and ideally you need the specific pump too inflate it. They have smaller 2 / 3 man tents which may suit better.