The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What strange talk is this?

Dude, got to have fresh shreddies. Probably further evidence of the gentrification of the festival or somesuch, but I like to be able to sit down cross legged on the Sunday without subsequently wanting to throw up.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dude, got to have fresh shreddies. Probably further evidence of the gentrification of the festival or somesuch, but I like to be able to sit down cross legged on the Sunday without subsequently wanting to throw up.

Oooh your one of them posh people! lol Actually, I will change my own underwear at a festival, but it does tend to be day 3 when they are changed, and then it's touch and go as to whether they get changed again. The main reason for this really is that I just tend to pass out fully clothed at the end of a days festivalling, and then just wake up in the morning and I'm back to drinking. The thing is though, I will always bring enough underwear to have a change everyday - it's an OCD thing I think.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oooh your one of them posh people! lol Actually, I will change my own underwear at a festival, but it does tend to be day 3 when they are changed, and then it's touch and go as to whether they get changed again. The main reason for this really is that I just tend to pass out fully clothed at the end of a days festivalling, and then just wake up in the morning and I'm back to drinking. The thing is though, I will always bring enough underwear to have a change everyday - it's an OCD thing I think.

Very similar to one of my friends - I've never seen them get changed at a festival... ever.

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Very similar to one of my friends - I've never seen them get changed at a festival... ever.

Hello vintage,

Yes, in my youth I did one Glastonbury from start to finish without even getting out of my clothes, never mind changing them. When I go to most festivals nowadays it's in the campervan - I still take loads of clothes but still hardly change them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this thread a prod as I was about to start a similar one until I remembered about it. 

Looking to get some bargains in early so that I'm well prepared - Have a decent Quecha tent and sleeping bags which i'll be airing out closer to the time, but it's all the little things that I need to pick up. What's the best thing you bought for last time around? I'm particularly interested in collapsible water/rum and coke bottles that are a) decent and b) don't make everything you drink taste of rubber/plastic. 

I’m going on my own and I will be looking for a tent that’s easy to put up for one person but that will sleep 2 and have some room so that it can be used for other things. I would like to be able to stand up in it and a porch would be nice. Any advice?

by the way it will only be me in it at Glastonbury. 

Edited by Spacey

18 hours ago, Spacey said:

I’m going on my own and I will be looking for a tent that’s easy to put up for one person but that will sleep 2 and have some room so that it can be used for other things. I would like to be able to stand up in it and a porch would be nice. Any advice?

Saucy!!  ;)

The problem with 1/2 person tents is that you can rarely stand in them. I haven't found one yet. 

42 minutes ago, Spacey said:

Perhaps I need a bigger tent. That’s ok so long as I will be able to put it up on my own

I’ve got this one just for me and it’s easy enough to put up alone. Someone will give you a hand if not. 

AF8051A3-992B-4648-949A-2643C094077D.png

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, morph100 said:

I’m after a cheap gazebo to put up next to our caravan, any offers about?

We looked at this earlier in the summer, for a cheap one you'll struggle to beat this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2952091

My mate ended up getting a nicer but much more expensive one (which is awesome).

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

23 hours ago, Spacey said:

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/025759-eurohike-ribble-3.html

I got this for Beautiful Days this year. Currently down to 65 quid online. Nice a roomy without being OTT. Got one big enough on the off chance that Mrs Q and I need a tent, but as fest tent for one it was perfect. Enough porch space for boots etc. The gazebo bit at the front isn't big enough to sit under in a chair, bit it's a nice extra little space.

Edit: standing up won't happen, but you'll struggle to find a two person tent that will tbh

Edited by Quark

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 6:25 PM, Gabi_says said:

Does anyone have recommendations for tables? Foldable, light and backpack-friendly since we are not driving there but flying from the Netherlands.

Found a few options, but would prefer something that someone has good reviews on

I've used this in the past as it folds up same size as a camp chair so easier for carrying. Although last time I didn't realise we had lost one of the components to make it work. Was gutted and will be getting a new one. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Folding-Aluminium-Camping-Carrying/dp/B01LW1CE99/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1542555167&sr=8-17&keywords=folding+camp+table

27 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I've used this in the past as it folds up same size as a camp chair so easier for carrying. Although last time I didn't realise we had lost one of the components to make it work. Was gutted and will be getting a new one. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Folding-Aluminium-Camping-Carrying/dp/B01LW1CE99/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1542555167&sr=8-17&keywords=folding+camp+table

I've got a double one of these and can't sing it's praises enough. Sturdy and lightweight - what more do you need? I bought mine second hand off ebay, which saved a few pence. At festivals, my wife insists on covering it with a clean white table cloth, and then putting a three pronged candelabra in the middle complete with candles. It / we do get some funny looks as a result of this.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:25 PM, Gabi_says said:

Does anyone have recommendations for tables? Foldable, light and backpack-friendly since we are not driving there but flying from the Netherlands.

Found a few options, but would prefer something that someone has good reviews on

767E8D7D-8EC4-4440-8BCB-DC284F5EFD61.jpeg

The past two years I've just blagged it in terms of sleeping arrangements but my back is always haggered by the end of it. Definitely in need of a mat next year. Currently looking at this - https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/059267-berghaus-peak-compact-self-inflating-mat.html

Does anyone have any recommendations or anything similar that they've used and had great success with? Looking for something that is light, can be packed down and is 10/10 comfy.