The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

never bothered with stoves before but always regretted not having one when confronted with what seems like the unconquerable - stumbling groggily to the nearest place selling coffee.

got this today for £8. tiny, fits in the palm of my hand and weighs nothing. got the gas canister at the same time as an add-on item for £3ish, also tiny. just tested in the garden in a light breeze and boiled 1l in about 3 minutes, enough for 3 big cups.

adds basically nothing to my kit weight but think i'll really appreciate it every morning

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dpower-Backpacking-Portable-Kitchen-Accessories-x/dp/B016ZHFOTS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1496489884&sr=8-20&keywords=camping+stove

2 hours ago, Debani said:

100 ml hand sanitiser 61p in superdrug, stock up!

That's good value. I went in and bought a 100ml hand sanitizer from Poundland for, yes you've gussed it, £1, only a couple of days ago.  I had actually thought that they'd be selling two for a £1. I even asked the bloke assisting on the self check out tills if it were definitely was only one four a £1 and he said yes it was definitely just the one. I've been robbed of 39p!

1 minute ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

Dunno everyone's sugar snack of choice but asda (in Scotland at least) currently selling a 40 pack of penguins for 4 quid!! 

Ive already decided on hobnob bars but reckon that's a great buy for a morning snack to power you to breakfast. 

I never take chocolate; if it's sunny it just becomes mush in your tent.

11 hours ago, liamium said:

never bothered with stoves before but always regretted not having one when confronted with what seems like the unconquerable - stumbling groggily to the nearest place selling coffee.

got this today for £8. tiny, fits in the palm of my hand and weighs nothing. got the gas canister at the same time as an add-on item for £3ish, also tiny. just tested in the garden in a light breeze and boiled 1l in about 3 minutes, enough for 3 big cups.

adds basically nothing to my kit weight but think i'll really appreciate it every morning

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dpower-Backpacking-Portable-Kitchen-Accessories-x/dp/B016ZHFOTS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1496489884&sr=8-20&keywords=camping+stove

I bought one of these today too. Like making us a cuppa and egg buttie before we leave the ten in the morning and this is much lighter and smaller than the stove we used to take.

Had a quick trial earlier but couldn't get it to work though, alas no instructions included-any tips?

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

I bought one of these today too. Like making us a cuppa and egg buttie before we leave the ten in the morning and this is much lighter and smaller than the stove we used to take.

Had a quick trial earlier but couldn't get it to work though, alas no instructions included-any tips?

yeah it took me a few tries. make sure the stove is screwed onto the canister as tight as possible as i don't think it releases anything unless there's a very tight seal

12 hours ago, liamium said:

yeah it took me a few tries. make sure the stove is screwed onto the canister as tight as possible as i don't think it releases anything unless there's a very tight seal

Cheers mate I'll try again later. Great how much space and weight this is going to save me (if I can get it working of course!)

13 hours ago, EamerRed said:

Over 24 hours and no one has brought out the 'bit racist init' joke yet.

The wording didnt work for it.

Don't you worry, when the wording facilitates it - I'll be there and on it in seconds.

53 minutes ago, ElliotW88 said:

Eurohike 65l backpack for 25 instead of 45

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133671-eurohike-trek-65l-backpack.html

Also using the voucher code NEWSU you get an extra 15% off!

Bargain! Nice one might go for the 85litre one for a fiver extra http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/133672-eurohike-trek-85l-backpack.html

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Just put my order into the Cozy Camper. Means we've to bring fuck all with us. Collect the order there - inflatable mattress, chairs, pillows - and drop it back on Monday. 

interesting. so is it like a deposit thing or do you pay to own?

3 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I did not know this was a thing that you could do!

Its great option yeah. Been doing it since the Joe Bananas days. Saves us a fortune on checking extra bags and the hassle etc flying over. 

You can travel very light as a result. Might help for your long trip down south.