The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

2 hours ago, MrNash84 said:

Have  been looking at this tent for last few days now, what are peoples thoughts? Quite a bargain at £72,25 with code. Any recommendations of anything different if not?

It's not bad, several reviews of the eurohike 3 man cairn tent going back a few years were not glowing regarding ill fitting inner and outer fly sheets (i.e. Outside not big enough to cover!) not so sure about eurohike quality.

have you thought about a 2 room tent for 3, middle ground will give you much more space for gear and two smaller sleeping areas will at least be comfier for one of your party, theoretically one could sleepin the middle so you all have your own space if there's no 'couple' 

Try this one from decathlon, for an extra £8.50 each between the three of you it might be a nice option 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-42-family-id_8378238.html

Edited by sweetsounding
Darn spellings, errors drive me bananas

13 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Looking for a nice decent priced camping chair? Any recommendations? 

13 hours ago, incident said:

Asda are (or at least were, about a week ago) doing slightly-better-than-average ones quite cheap - Think it was 2 for 12 quid or something along those lines with a 110kg rating which is a shade better than most.

Hombase have similar rated 110kg 5.99 each

19 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Depends what you mean by 'decent priced' but the snide Chinese copies of the Helinox lightweight chairs (like this one - other makes are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camping-Hiking/Moon-Lence-Ultralight-Camping-Folding/B01FM0RDSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495624251&sr=8-3&keywords=lightweight+camping+chair) are really good and surprisingly comfortable, and great if you are carrying them around all day as they weigh next to nothing.

Do you know if it's possible to buy the stability mats for these chairs? I already have 2 of the chairs, but last year when we sat on them they sank straight through the very muddy ground! Ended up losing some of the feet to Worthy Farm (I tried and tried to retrieve them to no avail) :-(

This chair already comes with the mat (so you can get an idea of what I mean) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-ultra-lite-camping-chair-p362066

49 minutes ago, jac_frog said:

Do you know if it's possible to buy the stability mats for these chairs? I already have 2 of the chairs, but last year when we sat on them they sank straight through the very muddy ground! Ended up losing some of the feet to Worthy Farm (I tried and tried to retrieve them to no avail) :-(

This chair already comes with the mat (so you can get an idea of what I mean) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-ultra-lite-camping-chair-p362066

Hi Jac - I've never seen them sold separately I'm afraid. What we did last year was put some discarded cardboard beer 'glasses' around the feet, which did the trick.  Obviously it won't be an issue this year as the ground will be baked solid!

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

To me it would look OK for 3 people, if you all have a rucksack each which can be stored on top of each other. If you are the type of person who brings the kitchen sink as well to the festival, then it'll be a little bit tight, in my opinion. It's a nice airy looking tent for the price. On reflection, I'm not sure that what I have said is of any use at all. Story of my life that! 

Whatever you three choose as a tent, have a good'n. :)

7 hours ago, sweetsounding said:

It's not bad, several reviews of the eurohike 3 man cairn tent going back a few years were not glowing regarding ill fitting inner and outer fly sheets (i.e. Outside not big enough to cover!) not so sure about eurohike quality.

have you thought about a 2 room tent for 3, middle ground will give you much more space for gear and two smaller sleeping areas will at least be comfier for one of your party, theoretically one could sleepin the middle so you all have your own space if there's no 'couple' 

Try this one from decathlon, for an extra £8.50 each between the three of you it might be a nice option 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-42-family-id_8378238.html

was originally looking at the Vango 550XL, but at £150 it is double the price of the Eurohike one. The Decathalon looks like a good middle ground, will have a look. Extra space and seperate rooms would be good, it'll be me, my wife and her sister together.

1 hour ago, BluePaul said:

Hi Jac - I've never seen them sold separately I'm afraid. What we did last year was put some discarded cardboard beer 'glasses' around the feet, which did the trick.  Obviously it won't be an issue this year as the ground will be baked solid!

Whilst, to your point, this won't be necessary in this years glorious weather, it is a top tip none the less...

We just took delivery yesterday if two of the Vango Microlight Tall chairs. I can't believe how light they are and the size they pack down to..

If anyone is looking for a cheap travel bag to keep their cash, phones, drugs, whatever floats ya boat safe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282300099480

I just ordered this from eBay. £2 and probably nothing special but can't go wrong for five days. Looks pretty lightweight and can probably be worn underneath a tshirt to keep valuables safe (I don't trust ones that go around your waist as I think these are targeted by pick pockets).

8 hours ago, jac_frog said:

Last year I put each foot inside a couple of stacked paper cider cups that had been chucked on the ground. Stopped them sinking into the ground and when you move on chuck them in a bin as a little contribution to the litter picking.

Edit: just noticed that @BluePaul got there first. However, I endorse this approach, it works well.

Edited by Waapster
Plagiarism!

1 hour ago, deepkittycaz said:

Aldi's camping sale is on today. I've bought a self-inflating mat and two multipacks of bamboo socks. Impressed with both on first looks.

I forgot to look for the socks.  Too busy looking (and failing to find) the folding ground seat. I got the mat though. It is indeed a nice bit of kit.

Socks are 3.99 for a 3 pack 

I've been on a sock buying mission this afternoon.

2 pairs of 1000 mile socks

2 packs of Aldi bamboo socks

1 pair Aldi wool hiking socks 

1 pair of bridgedale merino hiker

1 pair of higear double layer hiking

Only spend £10 of my own money though, thanks to love2shop vouchers from work which were used at go outdoors 

Edited by johntrfc

On 5/24/2017 at 0:14 PM, BluePaul said:

Depends what you mean by 'decent priced' but the snide Chinese copies of the Helinox lightweight chairs (like this one - other makes are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camping-Hiking/Moon-Lence-Ultralight-Camping-Folding/B01FM0RDSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495624251&sr=8-3&keywords=lightweight+camping+chair) are really good and surprisingly comfortable, and great if you are carrying them around all day as they weigh next to nothing.

Just ordered one of these.

Like the idea of something that is small enough to slip in my bag rather than carrying a big annoying thing around. Since were getting on a bit the other half does sometimes insist on taking a chair out with us, especially if it's a muddy one. Although I protest, I have to admit sometimes is nice just to sit down, i was really grateful for it by the Sunday last year. Of course there will be no need to carry a chair this year as there will be plenty of lush dry grass to sit on B)

Normally just buy a chair there since space is limited on the coach down (always take it home though).

Edited by I am Jon

On 5/25/2017 at 8:09 PM, brandycoke said:

Stumbled across these while i was looking for trousers.

Amazon obviously know me better than i thought.

trousers_zps0xr6bend.jpg

It'd take a million quid tucked behind my ear and ten pints to make me look more fashion and handsome, never mind a pair of trousers.

On 2017-5-31 at 0:57 PM, Deadendfriends8 said:

That's what I'm looking at now. Think ill take the plung and go for it

One of our number bought this one too. not put it up, looked good in up store though quite heavy....