The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 4/4/2017 at 10:57 AM, mjsell said:

I think this is the most comprehensive response to a tent question I've ever seen. Top job Stu. I had no idea this anti-heat blackout thing existed. Do many other tents use it?

I'd be interested in a tent that had this that was a little bigger as I'm 6ft, and like a bit of space anyway. The heat thing is always what gets to me the most at festivals.

I'm 5'11" and a bit. I have the 3 man pop-up. Agree with Stu's review completely *and* I can lie down no probs. I rarely sleep fully stretched as it happens but no probs with space. Three of us are taking these this year after a good run-out at a hot Latitude last year.

1 hour ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Yeah, but a gazebo is not essential to have a chat. It's completely unnecessary imo. My friends and I are able to talk in the morning without a gazebo taking up a 10 by 10 foot patch of grass. I can understand during the day you might want a quick nap in the afternoon but again, you don't need a gazebo for that and if it's muddy you're still able to traipse back to the campsite for it, even if it's muddy, you're traipsing regardless

ah yeah wasnt defending the gazebo thing, was just saying its sometimes nice to chill out in the morns, last thing I want to do at glastonbury is rush around everywhere anyway.....chilled out relaxing mornings before the carnage are the way forward :)

Gazebos just get annoying, esp once the camping fields are full and you have to navigate around them!....people who set their gazebo up on one of the only roomy passages past peoples tents need shooting into the same spot of the sun as the chairs/blankets in the middle of a crowd lot lol

3 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

ah yeah wasnt defending the gazebo thing, was just saying its sometimes nice to chill out in the morns, last thing I want to do at glastonbury is rush around everywhere anyway.....chilled out relaxing mornings before the carnage are the way forward :)

Gazebos just get annoying, esp once the camping fields are full and you have to navigate around them!....people who set their gazebo up on one of the only roomy passages past peoples tents need shooting into the same spot of the sun as the chairs/blankets in the middle of a crowd lot lol

Haha sorry, I'm VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT gazebos. Night have misread/jumped the gun a bit. Yeah, I'm definitely not a morning person either and chilling is needed until about 4 pm when I start drinking seriously, but I mean I'm happy to get up and chill near a stage or in a café or by a piece of art rather than under a gazebo. 

#SAYNOTOTHE'BO

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's likely you'll come back to someone having pitched their tent under it. 

This tbf - we saw it last year near us after setting up on Wednesday morning. Came back in the evening and someone had pitched a tent bang under it looking all B)

19 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's likely you'll come back to someone having pitched their tent under it. 

We usually camp in one of the less populated fields and have plenty of room around us. We've never had one before but figured it might be a nice change from drinking in our tents when it's raining. 

17 minutes ago, MikeJ86 said:

We usually camp in one of the less populated fields and have plenty of room around us. We've never had one before but figured it might be a nice change from drinking in our tents when it's raining. 

Up to you, but it's one of the few things the festival specifically asks you not to bring.

It's their party after all :-) 

(also it's going to be dry, obviously...)

Edited by themuel

Anyone got one of these?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-SM026-BL-Outdoor-Seat-Blue-x/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=sr_1_12_m?m=A2QODR4IZFO7VH&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1491567150&sr=1-12

Worthwhile or waste of time? I find camping chairs less comfy than sitting on the ground but I'm getting on a bit and could do with something I can lean back onto sometimes.  Also this seems to be far less obnoxious to carry through a crowd, though it'd primarily be for at the tents.

16 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Anyone got one of these?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-SM026-BL-Outdoor-Seat-Blue-x/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=sr_1_12_m?m=A2QODR4IZFO7VH&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1491567150&sr=1-12

Worthwhile or waste of time? I find camping chairs less comfy than sitting on the ground but I'm getting on a bit and could do with something I can lean back onto sometimes.  Also this seems to be far less obnoxious to carry through a crowd, though it'd primarily be for at the tents.

I brought one of these last year (paid £9.99). Whilst it was reasonable comfortable, one of the straps snapped during Damon Albarn & The Syrian Orchestra and it was pretty much ruined so my advice would be not to buy the cheapest one! It rolls up into a tube relatively easily but you would still need a small bag to carry it around in during the day.

On 08/04/2017 at 11:59 PM, Levitz said:

Some reduced tents on the Gelert site....

http://www.gelert.com/tents/view-all-tents

having had a general look about, tents seem to have become massively expensive these days.....or maybe it's just me.

Not just you, that'll be the wonderful performance of the pound these days <_<

Pennards seems particularly poor for gazebos. It's often a source of contention on the Wednesday as security tread that fine line between setting a great vibe so everyone's festival gets off to a great start with a welcoming atmosphere, and having a word with those who're openly breaking one of the few (and very fair) rules in place.

I'd have less of an issue with gazebos in some of the less densely populated fields, so maybe that's an option? If you want to bring a gazebo, you get two fields to do that, otherwise it'll be taken down.

Actually, no. That's a terrible idea, no one would do that. I've not thought it through, Lynn.

On 07/04/2017 at 1:44 PM, scaryclaireyfairy said:

You could always try this one http://camping.efestivals.co.uk/ergolife-stol-portable-roll-up-chair-614-p.asp.

A bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for and support efestivals at the same time.

I've had one for a few years and find it excellent. Unfortunately I didn't spot the efestivals sold it so got it elsewhere.

ARR 

I have this exact chair and it's amazing! Flexible so you can roll it a bit and stick it into a bag! You can use it inside tents like the Theatre or Circus tents as well where you can't  use a camping chair.

Had the exact one at last years festival but it gave up on me on Sunday, so for 4 days use it was the best thing on earth, on the 5th pretty useless as the stitching went and the supporting poles came out. So take of that what you will, it's so lightweight which was its biggest selling point unlike the wooden one posted above which is nearly 3 x as heavy. Still looking for other options personally!