The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Cheers everyone. It is a decent pop up one I am after really although that Outwell  one looks pretty funky. The idea of having to pitch a tent after a 5 hour drive and then 5 hours in a queue does not really appeal to me for some reason :-)

5 hours ago, musky said:

Where's this one been recommended? Like the look of it, but all I could find were awful reviews of the 4 man version saying it leaked badly. Not sure I want to take a punt because of that... But the 5 man version may well be different... Anyone got one of these and more importantly have they tried it in an April shower?

On 3 April 2016 at 3:35 PM, H.M.V said:
11 hours ago, manc said:

Where's this one been recommended? Like the look of it, but all I could find were awful reviews of the 4 man version saying it leaked badly. Not sure I want to take a punt because of that... But the 5 man version may well be different... Anyone got one of these and more importantly have they tried it in an April shower?

I have one but I haven't tried it yet. From the reviews I read about the 4 man, it leaked from the Zips. The groundsheet isn't attached so if the same happens with mine I'll just lift the sides of the groundsheet up. I've never had a standby up tent at Glastonbury so this will be luxury. 

14 hours ago, manc said:

You're right - I've linked to the wrong tent.  There was one on sale atm that several people commented that they'd used for years and were very happy with. Only I can't find the post now! FB search function is rubbish. 

20 hours ago, eastynh said:

I need some advice on a tent. I bought one of these last year and I ended up throwing it in a bin on the way out the festival. I would like something similar but maybe with a porch.

http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/camping.aspx/tents/new-tents/green/coleman/instant-dome-5/53019905016?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_merchant_centre&gclid=cnxsg_sb_8scfbmk0wodrsgihg#.Vwe7rJwrKUk

Pop down to go-outdoors mate,not far from you and you can actually have a proper look and see what actually suits you. You'll end up spending more than you want though on other bits and pieces, it's a bit of a treasure chest of camping shizzle.

4 minutes ago, davidd said:

Pop down to go-outdoors mate,not far from you and you can actually have a proper look and see what actually suits you. You'll end up spending more than you want though on other bits and pieces, it's a bit of a treasure chest of camping shizzle.

Will have a look mate, there is one on Gt Ancoats St I think.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Will have a look mate, there is one on Gt Ancoats St I think.

Yeah that's the one i've used. Got a cheap fleece for the night time ,£5 i think it was. Was last August that though mate so don't think they'll have any left. 

Check the non-pop up tents too, you'd be surprised how easy they are to put up,especially if there are a couple of you's doing it between you. I can't be arsed with the putting the pop-up ones down  when i'm fucked on the monday.

47 minutes ago, davidd said:

Yeah that's the one i've used. Got a cheap fleece for the night time ,£5 i think it was. Was last August that though mate so don't think they'll have any left. 

Check the non-pop up tents too, you'd be surprised how easy they are to put up,especially if there are a couple of you's doing it between you. I can't be arsed with the putting the pop-up ones down  when i'm fucked on the monday.

I just ripped mine up last year, put it in a bin bags and binned it.

21 hours ago, musky said:

2 hours ago, musky said:

You're right - I've linked to the wrong tent.  There was one on sale atm that several people commented that they'd used for years and were very happy with. Only I can't find the post now! FB search function is rubbish. 

Bugger! As I say- those reviews had me worried! Let us know if you happen to come across the post again :)

I have no idea if this powerbank/jumpstarter is a bargain... I do know that it's a beast for recharging phones/tablets/laptops etc and will easily start a car with a flat battery (tested on Audi S3)

It's a great charging solution for a group of people. Only weighs 0.5kg so not even heavy :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222003419314?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1012018652594&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

1 hour ago, Nice hymer said:

I have no idea if this powerbank/jumpstarter is a bargain... I do know that it's a beast for recharging phones/tablets/laptops etc and will easily start a car with a flat battery (tested on Audi S3)

It's a great charging solution for a group of people. Only weighs 0.5kg so not even heavy :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222003419314?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1012018652594&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I didn't even know these power banks/ jump starters existed. 

A word of warning for any considering buying from this particular seller, you'll be liable for VAT and admin charges, and possibly duty as well. 

27 minutes ago, musky said:

I didn't even know these power banks/ jump starters existed. 

A word of warning for any considering buying from this particular seller, you'll be liable for VAT and admin charges, and possibly duty as well. 

That's true, in my experience it's rare to pay import vat or duty though.. most sellers mark the packages as a gift (without even asking) and dodge the duties...

4 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

That's true, in my experience it's rare to pay import vat or duty though.. most sellers mark the packages as a gift (without even asking) and dodge the duties...

Gifts only work if posted by an individual and is less than £36. Although that's easy to falsify if the seller is switched on. And some packages slip through anyway. :)

Can anyone recommend a women's waterproof jacket?  (Not that it's going to rain, of course...)  I've got a cheap showerproof poncho thing, but want something that will be able to cope with heavy rain.  The ones I've seen are either very expensive or have reviews saying they're not actually rain-proof!  So any recommendations would be great.