The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

12 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

One tip I use is that if your daybag is a small rucksack like mine is, when your in any large crowd wear it on your front, still comfy if you adjust the straps to fit and you can keep an eye on it....Also makes a great buffer like a pillow if theres a crowd surge and people push back into you haha

It's also friendly to us "short arses", a bag swung in the face is never fun.!

The use of a daybag as a buffer rather than an unseen lump that swings around bumping into people is definitely a part of festival etiquette that people benefit from.

Last year I couldn't find my satchel in the run up to the festival so I used a yeo valley bag for the first couple of days and then got a guardian bag, both of which did the job well without offering any kind of security so not holding anything more than drinks, suncream and poncho.

3 hours ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

One tip I use is that if your daybag is a small rucksack like mine is, when your in any large crowd wear it on your front, still comfy if you adjust the straps to fit and you can keep an eye on it....Also makes a great buffer like a pillow if theres a crowd surge and people push back into you haha

Not comfy if you're a well endowed lady I can assure you ha ha. I use a rucksack during the day then check it into the lockups to enjoy the evening and pick it up on the way 'home'! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Not comfy if you're a well endowed lady I can assure you ha ha. I use a rucksack during the day then check it into the lockups to enjoy the evening and pick it up on the way 'home'! 

Was thinking of using the lockups like that but what time are they open. If we're out till early morning when would i be able to get the rucksack back?

1 minute ago, HattersBoy said:

Thanks Mezhyp1, that makes it easier, dump the day rucksack while we party at night and pick up again when we head back to the tent, excellent.

They really are handy, great friendly people that run them too, make sure to make a donation! 

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

They really are handy, great friendly people that run them too, make sure to make a donation! 

Oh absolutely will do, what would the going rate be? I have heard some people leave then £20 at the end of the 5 days whereas I would probably leave £1 or 2 each time and it may be a few times?

2 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

Oh absolutely will do, what would the going rate be? I have heard some people leave then £20 at the end of the 5 days whereas I would probably leave £1 or 2 each time and it may be a few times?

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. Generally unload my shrapnel there each time and then leave a note when I grab my stuff Sunday night.

24 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

I stuck in £20 when I went at first last year, threw in some change I had at the end, whatever you think is reasonable is what is right to donate for you, there wouldn't be any pressure on you to give over any amount 

3 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:
6 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I stuck in £20 when I went at first last year, threw in some change I had at the end, whatever you think is reasonable is what is right to donate for you, there wouldn't be any pressure on you to give over any amount 

29 minutes ago, blackred said:

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. Generally unload my shrapnel there each time and then leave a note when I grab my stuff Sunday night.

OK thanks again sounds very reasonable and saves me taking a rucksack into the party areas late at night 

for those looking for mobile phone charging this looks like a great option with a massive capacity , not sure I believe the discounts though , but reviews look good :)http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-26800mAh-Portable-Charger-External-Black/dp/B012V9H3WA?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_8407_3314a9a8&smid=A296JJ7EW4ORVE

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

for those looking for mobile phone charging this looks like a great option with a massive capacity , not sure I believe the discounts though , but reviews look good :)http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-26800mAh-Portable-Charger-External-Black/dp/B012V9H3WA?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_8407_3314a9a8&smid=A296JJ7EW4ORVE

ending in 3 hours though , so get those orders in quick

Im sure this has probably already come up on this thread - but well Im lazy (and at work) so scrolling through the 71 pages of this thread is a little much right now :)

Invested in a trolley last year, 4 wheeled affair which was great and made the whole trek from car to pitch bearable - however the journey back to the car at the end of the festival was less successful as all the welds on the trolley started giving way (by the time we got back to the car it was a "1 wheeled carry the thing" job....and yes....we still took it home with us!

Anyway - looking for something a little more sturdy this year....anyone got any good suggestions?

The one I had last year was similar to this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HW54L10/ref=s9_simh_gw_g86_i2_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=00X3S5H8WN8AJSV9V50P&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551827&pf_rd_i=desktop

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-portable-function-16800mAh-gasoline/dp/B012CSYE5Y?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

On a similar theme, these are awesome and while not really a camping thing, could be useful if you get back to your car after 5 days and find a flat battery. Slightly sceptical when I bought it, and also really hoped I'd never have to find out how well it worked. Yesterday a customer had a flat battery. Didn't pay attention as to the model really, but it was a big Audi, with correspondingly big engine.  Tried it out, worked perfectly. Started straight away, didn't even stutter. Genuinely impressed with it. And she gave me a tenner tip.

On 3/22/2016 at 11:33 AM, thatcrazypenguin said:

that is genius, the best ideas are always so simple! nothing worse then picking up your bag to find the bottom of it covered in piss 

I buy two packs of these at the start of festival season.  I go through lots as I tend to give them to people if they see them and like them.  They are useful for loads of things - hanging bags/coats in the longdrops (or compost loos or chemical ones at other festivals!)  Hanging rucksack full of beer off the security fence, hanging solar shower up. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221975677950?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I read the S hook tip on here about two years ago and think its one of the best and simplest festival accessories around!

Edited by stuwilky