The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

personal salt and pepper. seasoning is a must

I had no taste buds at all last year. Harribo's sports mix were an absolute essential in giving me some sense of normality. The food I ate needed more than seasoning. I had a go of that hippy crack shit (never touched it before or since) and that tasted nicer than most of the food I ate.

Just now, sophlamb said:

Anyone got any input on portable phone chargers vs spare batteries? I have the Samsung S4 so thinking I might buy a couple of spares and take them with me.

Chargers are better.  3rd party batteries are really unreliable in their capacity.  Some are fine, many last half a day.  2 spare batteries still probably won't last the festival even if they were Samsung ones, but would probably cost more than a charger.

Only advantage of spare batteries is that if you're worried that you won't remember to charge your phone overnight, or don't want to carry the charger around with you during the day, then spare batteries are obviously a lot quicker to swap out.

2 hours ago, stixmcvix said:

If anyone could recommend a day bag which is largely pickpocket-proof and large enough for all a lady's essentials, I'd be very grateful

You could get any day bag that has two zips, and use a small, number combination luggage padlock.

I just use a small across-the-body bag for cash, phone, tissues and whatever.  I clip the zip to the ring that holds the strap with a fiddly carabiner thing and at night I wear it short so it sits tight against me under my hoody.  Cans, waterproofs, binbags and assorted crap goes in the easily stealable-from flimsy daypack on my back.  I'm pretty sure I've had that rifled at least once but it's like a mini version of my tent in there.  A valueless midden.

• Upvote 1

On 18 March 2016 at 3:24 PM, stixmcvix said:

If anyone could recommend a day bag which is largely pickpocket-proof and large enough for all a lady's essentials, I'd be very grateful

I got one of these for a walking holiday.  Easily carried a fleece, kagool, big bottle of water, camera, purse, phone, wipes, sunglasses, keys and other (smallish) stuff that I can't remember.  Lots of pockets - handy as long as you remember what you've put in which one!  Main part of the bag is completely secure as the zip is against the body.  Really comfy to carry too - the strap is padded and seems to be non-slip.  At 60 quid it's a bit expensive but if you happen to know someone (or could PM someone ;)) who has bought one before you can get it in this somewhat strange green/yellow colour for 30 - lots of other colours if you're prepared to pay full-price.  

44215-GG-2.jpg?itok=VQpB4shK

Edited by mandolin
Thought the website would come up when I posted the picture. If you're happy to pay full price you can get it from Healthy Back Bags, though I think Amazon have some too. Don't forget to go through this site if buying from Amazon. :)

On 18/03/2016 at 3:24 PM, stixmcvix said:

Safety pins make for a great pickpocket protection.  Ideal for cargo short pockets as much as bags.