The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

I need to get a portable phone charger but i'm gonna want to use it while i'm asleep but surely that's just going to drain the battery all night and by the end of Wednesday night it wont have any charge left?

Most just switch off when your phone stops accepting a charge so remember to turn your phone off on a night or otherwise you'll waste some of the charge as the pack won't start charging again once your phones power drops.

Any suggestions of gaiters? If I can avoid taking wellies I shall do so.

I bought a pair of these to replace an old generic brand gortex pair. They seem good and have a Velcro front rather than zips which provides for less faffing unless you have mastered leaving your gaiters on your boots when taking your boots off.

I don't think it's a bargain, but wanted a strong backpack that could fold into a pocket, so that once I've drunk or begun wearing its contents then I could shove it in my coat pocket.

Looks pretty strong and good quality, but was more than the cheaper ones, as it's 15 quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FUWSTI8

Last year a group of blokes (my neighbours) left a 5 litre water bottle filled with pee at the bins next to our camp. Short while later the bin lorry came along and ran over said container which exploded, spraying a nearby camp (who were packing up and had all their kit in a nice pile) and their tents in urine. Group of about 12. 11 of them saw the funny side, 1 of them had a meltdown!! Not a good end to the festival!

Why would you ever do that? What a bunch of dicks.

Anyway, what I really opened this thread for was to mention that my local 99p Stores has 10L water carriers at (you guessed it) 99p. Used one at IoW this weekend and it seemed to hold up fine, though I doubt it'll be particularly durable.

I own one of these which some people might find useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-CPX-Duo-Area-Lantern/dp/B00691GJ4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434460175&sr=8-1&keywords=Coleman+duo

It's a battery powered lamp which has detachable sections meaning if someone sat around the camp site needs a light to goto the toilet with they can detach a piece and still leave people at the camp with light too.

It is pretty chunky though so only if you have room :)

no idea if it's going to arrive in time because I refuse to pay for deliver but £2.46 for a hip flask seems like a bargain to me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Hip-Flask-Stainless/dp/B000SM5HWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434465604&sr=8-1&keywords=hip+flask

it says delivery between 20-24th so hopefully they'll be efficient and get it to me in time

no idea if it's going to arrive in time because I refuse to pay for deliver but £2.46 for a hip flask seems like a bargain to me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Hip-Flask-Stainless/dp/B000SM5HWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434465604&sr=8-1&keywords=hip+flask

it says delivery between 20-24th so hopefully they'll be efficient and get it to me in time

Picked up 1 of these when it was about 50p more. Mine is fine, pretty good quality for the price, but a lot of the reviews mention leaks. Definitely check as soon as it arrives.

that's good to hear, it's been dispatched already so hopefully I'll have time to send it back if it's drippy, by the looks of the reviews it's either going to leak as soon as you put liquid in it or never

just seen this on hot deals, might be worth getting if you've got a festival phone

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ee-4g-pay-go-multi-sim-standard-size-micro-nano-plus-5-credit-1-poundland-2227941?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=06172015&utm_campaign=Daily%2BHot

I'm still on the fence about getting gaiters, my feet HATE wellies. Infact, I'm 90% certain they hate shoes. Anyhows, my walking shoes are nice, light and comfy (and water proof!) I just need to extend them, as I don't fancy wet feet.

I was just going to brave GoOutdoors but would love some more suggestions in terms of deals :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-6-8-10-18oz-Hip-Flask-Stainless-Steel-Pocket-Drink-Whisky-Liquor-Vodka-Holder-/121172767735?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

My other half has brought some of those from eBay for anyone interested.

Massive in size too so not ideal if you're limited on space in your bags

Not sure if it's common knowledge so apologies if I am teaching you all to suck eggs, but Go Outdoors offer a price match (and will beat a cheaper price by 10%.) So, browse their website, find what I want, do a quick search online for a cheaper price (any website but auction sites count) and then head to the shop with the cheaper website details. I saved £50 on a Berghaus gore-tex coat and £40 on Berghaus walking boots. Happy shopping

SAVED £50 good grief I thought my 99p pakamac was an extravagance ! (I know its an old post but ....)

Massive in size too so not ideal if you're limited on space in your bags

It's actually not all that big - it's just about the same size as our Anker E7 (slightly wider but thinner) but less than half of what we paid for the Anker and just as good (at least so far, it'll be interesting to see what's it's like in a year) so can thoroughly recommend it. If you don't need such a big capacity then obviously there's much smaller alternatives but this is well worth it for us as we can charge both our phone's and our daughter's tablet from it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen any good deals on backpacks?

I bought a cheap 70L one a few years back which has been great and now need to get my wife a similar one for Beatiful Days. Mine was called an Outback Hiker 70 but can't find them anywhere.

Plenty in this thread, just check the last couple of pages.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tiger in Grand Central Birmingham has opened.  For £3 you can get those covers that tradespeople put on their feet when in your house, but with a funky pattern.  Might be useful for those who prefer trainers.  Also the name festivalfødder is the perfect name to describe landfill indie like The Subways,