The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Honestly? I'm a huge fan of Decathlon and at this stage wouldn't buy my tent anywhere else - but I'd have some serious concerns about that design.

In particular, the Inner tent appears far more exposed than you'd normally expect. It should be able to handle rain falling straight down, but I'd be worried about what would happen if you added in a bit of wind.

There's been a couple times in the past (the Wednesday in 2004 springs to mind) where I think you'd end up with a fair amount of water inside a tent like that.

Had anyone seen cheap freezer blocks (that go in a coolbag/coolbox) on their travels??

I'm sure they've got them in Poundland.

Not sure how much they are though....

Replace those freezer blocks with orange/apple juice cartons. You know, the sort you put in kiddies packed lunches? they work in exactly the same way as your freezer blocks (keep stuff cold) and you can drink 'em. Freezer blocks are useless weight.

• Upvote 2

Replace those freezer blocks with orange/apple juice cartons. You know, the sort you put in kiddies packed lunches? they work in exactly the same way as your freezer blocks (keep stuff cold) and you can drink 'em. Freezer blocks are useless weight.

Damn fine idea that! I used frozen bottles of water last year but will replace them with juice boxes this year, they'll be easier to fit in between other bits and bobs so will be a more efficient use of the space I would imagine. Thanks!

Honestly? I'm a huge fan of Decathlon and at this stage wouldn't buy my tent anywhere else - but I'd have some serious concerns about that design.

In particular, the Inner tent appears far more exposed than you'd normally expect. It should be able to handle rain falling straight down, but I'd be worried about what would happen if you added in a bit of wind.

There's been a couple times in the past (the Wednesday in 2004 springs to mind) where I think you'd end up with a fair amount of water inside a tent like that.

Then surely the majority of the water will be blocked by the shelter I'd imagine, esp with lots of tents around yours.

Dunno. Maybe it works better in practice than it looks in the picture, but I'd be extremely concerned about a tent that leaves the (non-waterproof) inner part so exposed. There's definitely been times at Glastonbury where rain travels nearly horizontally..

Dunno. Maybe it works better in practice than it looks in the picture, but I'd be extremely concerned about a tent that leaves the (non-waterproof) inner part so exposed. There's definitely been times at Glastonbury where rain travels nearly horizontally..

I dunno how much this holds WATER *pun* but this is what they say on the webiste

WaterproofingAll Quechua tents are laboratory tested (the ENTIRE TENT under 200 litres/hour/sqm and for 4 hours!) and field tested before approval. (PU-coated polyester fly sheet, 120 g/sqm polyethylene groundsheet, all seams sealed using thermobonded tape). A breathable polyester inner tent under the flysheet means you aren't in contact with the condensation that forms naturally on the inside of the flysheet.
And it say it's waterproof after those tests and good for heavy rain and wind resistant :( I hope you're wrong because I just got mine :D

Yes - my concern wouldn't be about the quality, or the ability to handle a downpour - I'm sure the outer layer will be more than up to the job.

My worry would be what happens if you've got a strong enough wind that it starts to carry rain under the outer layer and onto the front door or the back of the tent - there's just not enough coverage there for my taste. I'd rather a tent where the outer skin goes pretty much all the way to the ground on all sides.

Yes - my concern wouldn't be about the quality, or the ability to handle a downpour - I'm sure the outer layer will be more than up to the job.

My worry would be what happens if you've got a strong enough wind that it starts to carry rain under the outer layer and onto the front door or the back of the tent - there's just not enough coverage there for my taste. I'd rather a tent where the outer skin goes pretty much all the way to the ground on all sides.

looks like I'll need to bring some waterproofing gear then just in case, thanks for the heads up

(I'll attach a waterproof sheet to the porch/shelter that'll cover the front when I'm not around/in bed.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

looks like I'll need to bring some waterproofing gear then just in case, thanks for the heads up

(I'll attach a waterproof sheet to the porch/shelter that'll cover the front when I'm not around/in bed.

buy a few extra blankets on site too. you're going to freeze your nuts off with it being that open to the air

what are self inflating mats like? I either want to get one of those or an airbed

I think they hit the compromise nicely between being more comftable than the floor/standard roll mat and an the space/weight of having a full on air bed to lug on site.