The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

:nea:

Single skinned tents should be avoided as a rule. Condensation and any moisture that makes it through the skin just pools up inside the tent. Your better off with a double skinned one.

Not to mention any clothes/bags that are touching the tent walls get soaked.

Extra tenner couldve got you a decent double skinned tent

If you've got an iphone (rubbish battery included) which you want to take to Glastonbury and your idea of hell is standing in the queue for the charge tent -mine certainly is - then I can recommend this to you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/13000mAh-Portable-External-smartphones-lightning/dp/B00BQ5KHJW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399370659&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+charger

I've had chargers before which were dangerous(!) or gave you a couple of hours extra but this really does work: I've been charging my iphone, and using it as normal, since last Wednesday and it still has some juice left in it: so certainly will see me through the five days and nights.

It's not cheap but I will use it in other situations so I think it was worth it.

I'm sure someone posted a link to this, or a similar device, a few pages back so thanks whoever you are.

That's all.

Yeah these things are awesome! I got one for 2013 and it just kept going until we got back to the car on the Monday

Yeah these things are awesome! I got one for 2013 and it just kept going until we got back to the car on the Monday

Me too, great piece of kit.

I got a belter of a Tresspass tent 'Cruach' is the model perfect for festivals, single skinned and sealed/waterproof. Got it on ebay from a seller called 'Grasshopper' I think it was, decent delivery as well and has had great reviews. I think it was only about £27...worth a shot I reckon!

Yikes... you've been done in matey. Single skinned is something you buy for children to camp in the back garden on a summer's night. A double skinned tent traps air in that zone between the two skins and like double glazing that is what keeps you warm. The other issues with things touching it was already mentioned above. I suggest you advertise that one on eBay again under kid's toys and get a decent double skinned one lest you want to be VERY cold and/or wet at Glastonbury.

I've also got that battery charger linked above by Midnight Man. First year I'm going to take a smart phone. More than anything else it's handy for browsing the news in the morning whilst sitting round camp.

Who am I kidding? I'll be using it to take loads of selfies to post on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram telling the world what a brilliant time I'm having watching Ed Sheeran on the Pyramid...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002XNGTOI/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3SOW1477U648S&coliid=I323YJSGGM8AVH&vs=1

Found a bargin here. Digital display radio to listen to Worthy Fm on in the tent. Solar powered and torch function too. Allegedly charges phones on USB connection but we'll see. Worth a punt I reckon

That looks awesome! Don't think I need any of its functions and I'm still tempted...

I got a belter of a Tresspass tent 'Cruach' is the model perfect for festivals, single skinned and sealed/waterproof. Got it on ebay from a seller called 'Grasshopper' I think it was, decent delivery as well and has had great reviews. I think it was only about £27...worth a shot I reckon!

Am I the only one getting a spam vibe from this?

Appologies if not, either way I wouldn't bring a single skin tent.

What about the free Android app that you can use to locate your tent?

Once you have stored your location (at your tent), the arrow on the app will always point to your tent and tell you how far you are from it in metres.

It can be downloaded here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gerbyte.whereismy

Am I going to get told off for posting links on this site? Apologies in advance if so.

There's one called FindWayBack for the iPhone. Will have to test it out as I've been known to get a teensy bit lost at times... Although I've met some lovely people!

You see these phone apps are all very well.

But you have to be able to see, and press buttons and think coherently and all sorts of odd things like that!

Not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

For anyone who's looking for a larger or family-worthy tent the Vango Icarus 500 is on promotion at £169 for 7 days from today at go outdoors http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-icarus-500-tent-2012-p201938 Still quite expensive but a big saving from the normal price if anyone was considering this anyway.

We've got this tent too. Really easy to put up only three poles. Loads of room and can stand up in to too which is a bonus when getting dressed

Edited by rischbrit

For anyone who's looking for a larger or family-worthy tent the Vango Icarus 500 is on promotion at £169 for 7 days from today at go outdoors http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-icarus-500-tent-2012-p201938 Still quite expensive but a big saving from the normal price if anyone was considering this anyway.

I love my icarus 500 :D Tis a great tent, plenty of room of 3 of you and stuff (Last year we actually had 5 peoples stuff stashed in there, but only two of us sleeping :P) /standing height etc

Invested in a new two man tent I can stand-up in!!

http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=1233&product=Aura%20200%20Surf%20Blue

I'm getting too old and fat to keep crawling around trying to get dressed - the resemblance to a tortoise stuck on his back isn't a good look to be honest!

Ughh!! As its only me I wanted something exactly like that but couldn't find anything when I looked!

Ah well the pop up will do!

Anyone bought this tent before? Tempted to opt for it as opposed to the standard tesco 2 man dome tent...

3000 hydrostatic head so can't be the worst...

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/107838-eurohike-tamar-2-man-tent-red.html

You're always better off spending a tiny bit more to get a tent with a porch area out front (but inside behind the "door") where you can keep you muddy and/or wet gear. This one you link to above has no such space.

You're always better off spending a tiny bit more to get a tent with a porch area out front (but inside behind the "door") where you can keep you muddy and/or wet gear. This one you link to above has no such space.

Don't think I'm overly fussed about a proper porch, as there is a bit I can leave my wellies in, infront of the door when the front part is zipped up.

Anyone bought this tent before? Tempted to opt for it as opposed to the standard tesco 2 man dome tent...

3000 hydrostatic head so can't be the worst...

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/107838-eurohike-tamar-2-man-tent-red.html

It looks exactly like the Millets/Eurohike tent I used in both 2005 and 2007 which served me just fine during 2 festivals with exceptionally bad weather.

It's as basic as you can get while still meeting (what I would consider) the minimum requirements - Double Skin, A porch area of some description, easy to assemble. I doubt you're going to get better in that (ultra cheap) price bracket.