The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

How big are the sleeping bags when packed away? I'm just thinking about how easy they are to carry

Unfortunately they are disappointingly larger than you had secretly wished for. However they aren't a problem carrying. And they are not that big really. It's just a case of realising your wish was scientifically stupid and your off laughing again. Only more so this time.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

Unfortunately they are disappointingly larger than you had secretly wished for. However they aren't a problem carrying. And they are not that big really. It's just a case of realising your wish was scientifically stupid and your off laughing again. Only more so this time.

So, what we need are physics defying sleeping bags.

• Upvote 1

Or sleeping bags that defy physics even.

Surely i'd've put 'what we need IS physics defying sleeping bags', if i understand correctly?!

Although i'd like to find out what physics defying sleeping bags actually meant / looks like!

Having looked into it, I've discovered Gelert also do an XL version of the sleeping pod, which accommodates longer and larger people. Ordered. This is expensive exciting!

You won't be dissappointed. I've used mine at 4 festivals now and its blody fantastic everytime, the room makes make for very comftable sleep over a mummy sleeping bag and it's fairly warm!

Sorry messed that up on my phone!

The one you're thinking of is probably either the igloo or the Coleman extreme - I have the Coleman extreme - froze loads of bacon/sausages for breakfast plus frozen water/caprisuns for my son. Also put chocolate/cans etc in there to keep cool. Very impressed. Will try and 'charge' it with frozen things first this year so its really cold inside before we start. Really useful also for the beach/picnics/storing drinks etc at Xmas/parties. Bought it online for £50

Excellent, igloo it is going by the picture below as it wasn't that one, thanks very much :)

Any tips on rucksacks, anyone? Since it'll be my first Glasto festival, I'm starting from scratch and buying everything new. I'm looking at mid-range stuff because I want it to last few years, ideally.

So I'm thinking an 85 litre capacity looks about right, and I'll use clothes with lots of pockets to carry essentials (torch, poncho, cider) around with me, so I'm not bothered about a little bag, just the biggie.

Prices seem quite high. Amazon have a nice Highlander rucksack but that's £72. Is that reasonable for a decent quality product?

Any tips on rucksacks, anyone? Since it'll be my first Glasto festival, I'm starting from scratch and buying everything new. I'm looking at mid-range stuff because I want it to last few years, ideally.

So I'm thinking an 85 litre capacity looks about right, and I'll use clothes with lots of pockets to carry essentials (torch, poncho, cider) around with me, so I'm not bothered about a little bag, just the biggie.

Prices seem quite high. Amazon have a nice Highlander rucksack but that's £72. Is that reasonable for a decent quality product?

I've had this for 3 years and about 10 festivals and is still perfectly ok. Some might say you'll need to spend a lot on a rucksack but this has held up well!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karabar-Manaslu-Loading-Travel-Backpack/dp/B004URYU64/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395938747&sr=8-3&keywords=camping+rucksack

If you're carrying a lot of cider around, I'd still suggest some sort of smaller bag as a day of banging legs on bottles or cans is a pain, unless you drink it all before 10am. Try charity shops for a smaller bag of some sorts, or you can leave stuff in lock ups and pick them up every so often.

Vango pop ups with Dual Skin are excellent. Don't forget 2 man if there's one of you, 3 man if there's 2 etc

There are actually some great threads in here about tents.

I got one of them for this year and although it's a little small it's an excellent tent.

My last Glasto was 2011 and was glad of a pop-up after hiking to find a camping spot in the pishing rain.

This seems pretty good. Pour four pints of cider straight into this, then hands are free to do other things

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/390691624508

Bloody hell, they've gone down in price in the last two years. I bought one ages ago. They are a good idea for getting drink into festivals where they try to limit the amount you carry in.

I got one of them for this year and although it's a little small it's an excellent tent.

My last Glasto was 2011 and was glad of a pop-up after hiking to find a camping spot in the pishing rain.

I really fell in love with mine whichever year there was the accident on the motorway that messed everything up for hours, and then it rained - a lot.

Was that 2011?

We managed to find a space in Dairy at about 3.am, popped tent and was in and asleep in 10 minutes.

Bliss

I'd recommend scouring ebay for an army surplus Bergen, complete with removable side pouches. Bonus is, if you also get a hold of the yoke, you can turn the side pouches into a day sack for lugging around booze each day.

Edited by Thrash D Garbage