The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

TK Maxx had some bits and pieces in yesterday. 15L water carriers for £4. Decent looking head torches for a fiver. A pack of 6 assorted bungee cords for £2. We also picked up a double duvet and a couple of pillows for £5 because the packaging was split and the duvet a bit dirty. We then did our annual trip to Home and Bargains, Wilkinsons and Pound Stretcher to pick up other essentials/tat

The Glastonbury buying has commenced - I hope nobody wants to stay at my house between now and the festival as the spare bed is swamped with stuff!

What's everyones feelings on gazebos? Personally I think that as long as they're only taking up the space between tents that would normally be left for chairs etc anyway, they're fine.

Just noticed Asda are doing them for £16.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-2.4m-Gazebo/001679699,default,pd.html

When we camped as a group we had a gazebo as a central area by day but at night someone slept under it in a small tent we took down each morning. So it wasn't taking up any 'spare' camping space.

Home bargains for lots of cheap noodles, rice pouches to reheat on stove, ponchos and anti bacterial hand wash for 39p 100ml. Mug shots are 33p just add water. Not forgetting plenty of cheap cereal. Sainsburys there are pouches of chilli, chicken masala and meatballs just to reheat too (look what I found brand). Trolley from funkyleisure, was a god send in 2011, it folds up too. Still looking for air bed or self inflating mattress...

i got a big water carrier from good old poundland for (obviously) £1, which folds flat when empty. Must hold at least 5L but i packed it in my bag already (in the shed) so can't check.

Home Bargains also had the torches you wind up for 49p!! They're different animals (i got a duck) and i've seen them in tesco for £4!

B&M also have camping chairs £5 each or 2 for £9.

what volume do they hold?

It doesn't state on the packaging the capacity unfortunately.

The ones I've seen usually say 400-500ml capacity.

Poundland have 2 for a pound HERE or if you're looking for something a bit more substantial they also sell aluminium bottles (I think about the same 500ml capacity) with the same clips HERE.

I feel robbed of £2 ha.

Just found these pouches in Pound Stretcher, 99p each. They will be good to carry spirits around in, and you can clip them to belt loops. (They also come in different colours and patterns)

wqybn.jpg

Those things are great, took a couple to Bestival last year and had one for water and one for wine. Planning to fill a few with spirits this year as they'll pack better than plastic bottles.

Regatta have an online outlet store http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/ walking boots 20 quid I think, fleeces a tenner, tshirts couple of quid, lurid bright pink backpack also on there (35l, ridiculously cheap but frak me it's PINK).

Disclaimer: regatta aren't the best outdoor clothing company in the world. Their wicking tshirts do, but not as well as paramo ones do, for example.