You shouldn't be allowed at Glastonbury if you don't know any Beatles songs (discuss)

Guest Trebor

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's shown throughout time that the previous generations are unlikely to appreciate music from new generations. Everyone is likely to be mystified by the new generations music, its easy to look over how time distorts image and the way certain elements of music as there is now. There was just as much shit around in every time.

It's shown throughout time that the previous generations are unlikely to appreciate music from new generations. Everyone is likely to be mystified by the new generations music, its easy to look over how time distorts image and the way certain elements of music as there is now. There was just as much shit around in every time.

Edited by russycarps

I think that's actually a myth. Maybe when the very first blues music became mainstream is was not liked by the older generation, but that was probably due to racist reasons as much as anything.

Do you really think people who were around in the 60s hated the music in the 70s or whatever? What are these "different generations" of music anyway?

Good music is good music. And the stuff around at the moment is shit and as poor as at any time in history.

You can pick loads of legendary acts from every decade from the 50s onwards, then you hit a brickwall in the 2000s and 2010s

I think the problem with todays bands not being as ''Great'' as bands of the 60s an 70s is that there are so many more genres today.If everyone was say playing mainly guitar music like they did back in the day then things would be different but because people are into such varied sounds the talent is spread out and also the amount of people into them.

I don't think dirty Dub step helps either.

Yes. You only need to get several generations together to see it. And what you said is correct, there's as much shit around as at any time in history.

With regards to your last point, that's because you're looking at it from your point of view. I suspect the kids from that time will see The White Stripes, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys etc. in the same way you see acts from your generation.

At no time have I said there's tonnes of "amazing new bands", what I have said. is there's as much shit around as normal, but you see it differently as you get older. It's hard to accept. With regards to genre, we've argually had the most productive two decades or so in a long time, with garage, dubstep and grime all emerging. Pretty revolutionary.

Edited by russycarps

True. Lyrically modern music is in the bin though. So theres not really a lot to grab on to. The people who have been making lyrically relevant and creative music like Mozza, Ry Cooder, Waits, Lydon, Joanna Newsom, Springsteen (on the last album), Nick Cave, Cohen and recently Bowie etc are tough work for most people.

If its not 140 characters or less on Twitter or as a comment under a picture of someones average looking dinner on Facebook or a picture of someones kid wearing their new hat or whatever people don't give a shit sadly.

Yes. You only need to get several generations together to see it. And what you said is correct, there's as much shit around as at any time in history.

With regards to your last point, that's because you're looking at it from your point of view. I suspect the kids from that time will see The White Stripes, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys etc. in the same way you see acts from your generation.

At no time have I said there's tonnes of "amazing new bands", what I have said. is there's as much shit around as normal, but you see it differently as you get older. It's hard to accept. With regards to genre, we've argually had the most productive two decades or so in a long time, with garage, dubstep and grime all emerging. Pretty revolutionary.

Exactly this. People don't have the time are too chuffing lazy or busy on facearse to actually give albums a proper listen these days and want catchy tunes and repetitive chorus's these days ("If you wanna come back, it's alright alright it's alright if you wanna come back."). The joy of noticing an amazing lyric for the first time, even though you've heard the song a few times before is lost on most.

Personal, heartfelt lyrics just don't register on today's radar mostly.